• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcdouble2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    WOW, wish I could retain information and communicate it with authority as that guy did.
    He gets an A++++++++ in my book.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Knowing your rights is the important part. Whether you choose to discuss the actual laws or court cases during your harassment is up to you. Their actions do not become magically acceptable if you choose not to (or are unable to) quote every relevant cite.

"Why am I being detained?" and silence both work as well. You'll have plenty of time to get your thoughts in order for the written complaint.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I can't remember what I had for supper two weeks ago Tuesday, let alone all the court cases this guy corectly remembered. Of course, the guy could have made up the cases and who would know? I bet many LEOs would not know either.

Vv

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I can't remember what I had for supper two weeks ago Tuesday, let alone all the court cases this guy corectly remembered. Of course, the guy could have made up the cases and who would know? I bet many LEOs would not know either.

Vv

Most of the time, LEOs don't know and quoting court cases to them wouldn't really work out in the open like that. Cases are brought up in court. The best thing in that situation is continue to state that you are not breaking any laws and stopping a man and taking away his gun because his is carrying is illegal and carrying a gun is not a crime and carrying a gun is a matter for public safety, and since you ARE part of the public, you are ensuring the safety of the public by being armed all the time.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is just one of those cops that don't understand the law and whoever called the cops on a guy just open carrying is a dick. He or she wasted this guy's time and wasted police time just for an average joe who is legally carrying.

It doesn't make the people who called a "dick", it just makes them un-educated about the laws regarding firearms.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Very well informed citizen. I would like to meet this guy and shake his hand. Also opens for discussion a bigger problem that plagues us a Americans. What is so wrong about us carrying weapons and why are the polics led to believe in certain areas that we are there to cause a problem? The public as a whole has been brainwashed by the media and the so called liberal society into believing this as well.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That right there should seal the deal on open carry vs concealed. People smarter than me are posting about situational awareness, why even put yourself in that situation? It's cool to show people who care about gun advocacy that they CAN win because they ar smarter than "the man", but people who don't like guns are going to think that guy was a real dick (imo).

I'm going to respond to your edited post too. Believing someone is a dick because they knew their rights, stood up for their rights AND had the knowledge of current laws and court cases to back them up just brings them up to my "Don't give a **** what they think" level. Situational awareness has nothing at all to do with being illegally detained by police. Enough people truly standing their ground on matters like this and cops will start to tell the people who called "it isn't illegal" just like when you call the authorities on people who have their dogs off leash in public. (Which BTW IS illegal, at least here in Evansville)

This is just one of those cops that don't understand the law and whoever called the cops on a guy just open carrying is a dick. He or she wasted this guy's time and wasted police time just for an average joe who is legally carrying.

My haven't you changed your opinion and jumped on the OC bandwagon.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm going to respond to your edited post too. Believing someone is a dick because they knew their rights, stood up for their rights AND had the knowledge of current laws and court cases to back them up just brings them up to my "Don't give a **** what they think" level. Situational awareness has nothing at all to do with being illegally detained by police. Enough people truly standing their ground on matters like this and cops will start to tell the people who called "it isn't illegal" just like when you call the authorities on people who have their dogs off leash in public. (Which BTW IS illegal, at least here in Evansville)

Let's just pretend for a minute that you are not in to guns (you don't like, or dislike, for that matter). You see some dude, or chick, walking down the street with a gun. Let's say you just happened to catch the story on the evening news about the guy with the gun in the real estate office holding hostages. What do you do then? Again, you are just average joe citizen. maybe you also live in a neighborhood that is anything less than peaceful.....Food for thought.:)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Let's just pretend for a minute that you are not in to guns (you don't like, or dislike, for that matter). You see some dude, or chick, walking down the street with a gun. Let's say you just happened to catch the story on the evening news about the guy with the gun in the real estate office holding hostages. What do you do then? Again, you are just average joe citizen. maybe you also live in a neighborhood that is anything less than peaceful.....Food for thought.:)

Frankly I would starve to death.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ok Yeti I know you think you just made a great point but in reality I could poke holes in it with my eyes closed but I don't feel like it.

I'm tired of arguing with people who think that feelings trump rights. People that believe emotion is greater than reason. Truthfully I'm tired of wasting my time and breath (well fingertips) typing my life away giving truth out for free.

No amount of 'feelings' or 'think it should be' will change the fact that the police in the video broke the law by illegally detaining this man and he stood up to them, brilliantly. There is no argument against that fact because none exist aside from wanting the law changed to give us even MORE of a police state than we already have.

Is THAT what you want?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Since I have enough common sense to see that they aren't doing anything that poses a threat to me, and I'm not the type to get all butt hurt and run and tattle to mommy every time some one does, or says, something that I don't like, I would just mind my own business and enjoy my day.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

Let's just pretend for a minute that you are not in to CARS (you don't like, or dislike, for that matter). You see some dude, or chick, driving down the street with a CAR. Let's say you just happened to catch the story on the evening news about the guy with a CAR driving drunk and smashing into a pedestrian. What do you do then? Again, you are just average joe citizen. maybe you also live in a neighborhood that is anything less than SOBER.....DRINK for thought.:)

(Just as a side note I hate any type of alcohol.)

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Ok Yeti I know you think you just made a great point but in reality I could poke holes in it with my eyes closed but I don't feel like it.

I'm tired of arguing with people who think that feelings trump rights. People that believe emotion is greater than reason. Truthfully I'm tired of wasting my time and breath (well fingertips) typing my life away giving truth out for free.

No amount of 'feelings' or 'think it should be' will change the fact that the police in the video broke the law by illegally detaining this man and he stood up to them, brilliantly. There is no argument against that fact because none exist aside from wanting the law changed to give us even MORE of a police state than we already have.

Is THAT what you want?

I'm not saying feelings should trump rights and I do not dis-agree that the police officer in that video broke the law. I'm just guessing that my scenario was a look from the inside of many people's minds (right or wrong).

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm not saying feelings should trump rights and I do not dis-agree that the police officer in that video broke the law. I'm just guessing that my scenario was a look from the inside of many people's minds (right or wrong).

I make my decisions based on what is best for my family and myself, not what the sheep think is best; however, I am not without compassion but I think that your scenario is a stretch by a long shot.

No one knows how the public reacts to guns better than OCers. I have been OCing for almost 3 years now and have never had a negative reaction in public from a normal citizen. My only issues have been with LEOs that don't know the laws they attempt to enforce on me.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    No one knows how the public reacts to guns better than OCers. I have been OCing for almost 3 years now and have never had a negative reaction in public from a normal citizen. My only issues have been with LEOs that don't know the laws they attempt to enforce on me.

Same experience here.

I had one sort of negative encounter with a citizen, but he was far from normal. He seemed mentally ill. And he was more pissed about the presence of my dog than my gun.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

Let's just pretend for a minute that you are not in to Tattoos (you don't like, or dislike, for that matter). You see some dude, or chick, walking down the street with a whole bunch of visible tattoos. Let's say you just happened to catch the story on the evening news about the guy with the Tattoos in the real estate office holding hostages. What do you do then? Again, you are just average joe citizen. maybe you also live in a neighborhood that is anything less than peaceful.....Food for thought.:)

Even though I don't personally have any tattoos, I realize that there is a certain stigma in society regarding tattoos. Someone with full sleeves, neck tattoos, or face tattoos will automatically be judged by society. Should they be forced to cover their tattoos just so a bunch of mamby-pambys can feel better? Should I call the cops every time I see someone with a tattoo because I know that a lot of criminals have tattoos? Your argument takes a whole different direction when you apply it to other inanimate objects doesnt it?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Let's just pretend for a minute that you are not in to nose rings (you don't like, or dislike, for that matter). You see some dude, or chick, walking down the street with a nose ring. Let's say you just happened to catch the story on the evening news about the guy with the nose ring in the real estate office holding hostages. What do you do then? Again, you are just average joe citizen. maybe you also live in a neighborhood that is anything less than peaceful.....Food for thought.:)

See where all this is going? ;)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1 for the guy in the Vid...

I make my decisions based on what is best for my family and myself, not what the sheep think is best; however, I am not without compassion but I think that your scenario is a stretch by a long shot.

And when said LEO's go off with "Egg on their Face", how long before they, or their buddies do find something to charge you with?? One mile over speed limit, slight roll through stop sign, parked more than 12" away from the curb??

I bet the E'ville popo have a Bounty on you?? HA HA...

Same experience here.

I had one sort of negative encounter with a citizen, but he was far from normal. He seemed mentally ill. And he was more pissed about the presence of my dog than my gun.

For me citizens are mostly on the positive--Can not say the same for LEO's..Bill.

Top Bottom