• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Suggestions on where I could pick up a few (like, maybe 5 or 6?) small... 2 ounce... desiccant bags to throw into the gun case(s)?

Indiana has a LOT higher humidity level than did Denver, and I'd like to ensure the moisture level in the case stays low, prevent rust, all that.

My Google-Kung-Fu is weak today, because all I can seem to find are bags by the pound or small packs by the case. I don't NEED a case of 2 ounce bags. I need five.

Thanks,

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you end up having to buy them in bulk, I may be interested in taking some of them off of your hands. I live/work in the Muncie area as well.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I bought a bag of silica cat litter and place a few tablespoons of it in a coffee filter and fold it over and staple it closed. Works great and cheap.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I bought a bag of silica cat litter and place a few tablespoons of it in a coffee filter and fold it over and staple it closed. Works great and cheap.
    Which brand of cat litter? I've been looking for silica cat litter on local store shelves and can't seem to find it.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Which brand of cat litter? I've been looking for silica cat litter on local store shelves and can't seem to find it.

Fresh Step Crystals. It's just silica gel the same as in the desiccant bags. You can place it in the oven to recharge it just like the bag and the containers too. 300 for an hour or two with the door slightly open.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I noticed Rural King (in Frankfort) had some desiccant in containers for Closets etc. The price was pretty good as I recall, but can't say for sure. It was a larger container than you would need but you can always break it down and put it in either cloth bags, Coffee filters, or even pill bottles with a lot of small holes drilled in the bottle. After a period of time you can "rejuvenate" the desiccant by putting it on a tray in the over at about 150~ 200 degree for a few hours - good as new.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    I noticed Rural King (in Frankfort) had some desiccant in containers for Closets etc. The price was pretty good as I recall, but can't say for sure. It was a larger container than you would need but you can always break it down and put it in either cloth bags, Coffee filters, or even pill bottles with a lot of small holes drilled in the bottle. After a period of time you can "rejuvenate" the desiccant by putting it on a tray in the over at about 150~ 200 degree for a few hours - good as new.

Good to know, as there's a Rural King here in Muncie, too. Will stop in today, check it out.

Thanks, LarryC.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Rice works well and is so cheap you can just toss it when the time comes. Two tablespoons wrapped in paper towel works for cased guns. If you have a safe, pour about 6 ounces into a bowl. Avoid the "instant" products; use long grain white rice.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Reno, you move from Denver to Muncie willingly? I'm sorry! :D

Sorta, yeah, not really.

Wife.gov lives here. She has two daughters from previous marriage, and the courts/legal system wouldn't let her move to Denver unless she gave up custody of the kids (which is a TOTAL non-starter.)

So she can't move, I can't live without her, and I can't do a marriage from 1200 miles away.

*shrug*

Mountains have been there for about 55 million years. Chances are good they'll be there in another 8 or 9.

(Ball State Grad, 1995.)

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I have about 40 lbs of desicant in roughly 1-2 lb packages if anyone is interested. There may be more than 40 lbs here. I am in Franklin IN and could hook you up for some cheap ammo trades...

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Fresh Step Crystals. It's just silica gel the same as in the desiccant bags. You can place it in the oven to recharge it just like the bag and the containers too. 300 for an hour or two with the door slightly open.
    Yep. That's the stuff I've been looking for. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for it.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Uline shipping supplies.
    Any small company that ships unprotected steel parts,like a machine shop.

Top Bottom