• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone know of a good load or factory load for the Desert Eagle 44 mag.?
    Appreciate it a lot. The literature says 240 Grains, but I just got a better group with the 180 grain factory Remington. It worked the action fine also.

What's everyones experience?
    Thanks,
    Reno

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I remember correctly the DE manual states 240 grain for a reason. I think even with the 180's working the action fine they will if shot many times mess with the slide and internals. It would be a good idea to contact the manufactor to make sure it will do not harm with the 180's.

The Kieth load features Semi wad cutter bullets that may stick with the feed ramp on the auto so I would not use them either. The Kieth load for revolvers is a great starting point on them. H110 or lil'gun as powders are standard. I would start with 240 grain JSP's and try to duplicate the Winchester white box load (THE CCI MINI MAG OF 44 MAG ROUUNDS). Winchester mag pistol primers. H110 likes to be at max loads when using that powder. Start at least 10% below max and work up. lil gun still give go FPS with limited pressure.

That is a nice little hand cannon to bad it does not fit my hand or I could help a bit more. Look at the loading manuals, I don't give out my personal reciepies for loading on the net. Some things are best researched by the loader.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    thank you very much. Yes, THe manual clearly states 180's I shot three of them just for curiosity. I have some factory 240's and will try them soon. I plan to reload a few different powders in the 240's and see what happens.
    Thanks for the advice and I certainly understand the reluctance of sharing load information.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Reno,

23.5gns of Hodgdon H-110 under a 240gn XTP bullet (OAL 1.600"), (or 30.5gns of H-110 under a 180gn XTP, same OAL) is a recipe for some smiles from a DE.

Since it uses a locking rifle bolt, you need to get a good, stout load for effective cycling. The above recipes will do that.

I've shot plenty of 44 Mag, 240gn bullets from a DE. They group well, and your bullet selection is going to be better with the 240's.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Thank you very much. Going to do some loading tomorrow and try and get to my range. Thanks guys.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My bud's DE Mk 7 loved my max'd 200gr loads.
    But then, I never shoot a .44 load that isn't max'd, be it 180, 200 ,240 or 255.
    180's had a bit too much flash for him (cycled just fine).

If I find a deal on a Mk7 I'll run 180 and 200's only :)

Top Bottom