• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    In every comparison between an Express and Wingmaster everyone always says the Wingmaster is so much smoother, but what does that mean? People in the market for a shotgun, I'm here to help answer that.

I recently got a used 870 Wingmaster and borrowed an Express Super Magnum for the weekend to try and 'feel' the difference between the two. Both have had a number of rounds down the tube so I feel it is compared accurately. I spent hours shucking both, but was able to tell a noted difference after about 10 minutes. Both shotguns were taken apart and the slides cleaned with CLP to make sure they were clean and had the same amount of lubrication.

When shucking the Wingmaster felt a little harder to get moving than the Express, but once it went it was very smooth. It almost seemed to jump back and rush forward on its own. I will describe it as moving 'free'. Compared to an Express the Wingmaster felt like it was gliding after the initial force to get it moving.

After working with the Express I would describe it as a Wingmaster with molasses on the slide. It was not as free as the Wingmaster but it was a constant stickiness, the same though the whole pumping action. It didn't add a lot of resistance, but it was there. It also felt a little easier getting the slide first moving - it might just feel that way because the Wingmaster is so free once its released.

Overall in the whole experience the Express felt the most consistent because the pump felt the same the whole way though. When moving along the slide part the Wingmaster it was so free and slick you could tell when you had to pressure it to get it moving at the start. It felt markedly different. I almost (and I'm sure some people will) prefer the feel of the express because I like it when things feel the same the whole way through something. Other than that they are the same in the pumping action - the Express had no more rattle in the forearm than the Wingmaster so it is not fitted together more tightly or anything.

Hope this helps someone.

Any other opinions of your own experience to help someone understand this would I'm sure be appreciated.

Last edited:

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    was it a regular express or a express magnum. the express magnum can do 3" and 3.5" shells so there is a longer stroke and beefer metal to take in to account.

the wingmaster is more free and faster so you can reload faster. a big deal when your shooting skeet or waterfoul in a field.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    The Wingmaster is a higher grade gun with a fine polished blued finish and more time allowed for for internal parts to be fitted. To be competitive with Mossberg, Remmy cut corners on the Express models by using a faster, cheaper finish process and the parts aren't as finely fitted and smoothed. Basicly it's like guns were made during WWII, as fast and as cheaply as possible but yet still reliable and working.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    The Wingmaster is a higher grade gun with a fine polished blued finish and more time allowed for for internal parts to be fitted. To be competitive with Mossberg, Remmy cut corners on the Express models by using a faster, cheaper finish process and the parts aren't as finely fitted and smoothed. Basicly it's like guns were made during WWII, as fast and as cheaply as possible but yet still reliable and working.

Do you have any evidence to support this? If I had to geuss, I would think many of the iparts for the express and the wingmaster are made in the same factory and then finished differently. And comparing the fit/finish of a Mossberg to an 870 wingmaster is like comparing a buick to a chevy, I have'nt held a mossberg yet that did'nt have a fore end that rattled.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Used to be, the Wingmaster's claim (and 1100-11-87) was that it was hand-assembled (iirc) instead of being made on an assembly line.
    There might have been some fitting involved.

Top Bottom