• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    I can understand the depleating higher caliber ammo in the stores, namely Walmart, because of the impending outlawing of assault weapons. What I dont understand is the stores, namely Walmart, being out of 22LR, 9mm, 38sp. ammo. Why is everyone stocking up on those calibers? Hand guns were not mentioned in the possible banning, were they?

Because people are freaking out over this they think its the end of the world

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I could be wrong but I find it hard to accept the fact that ammo manufacturers are producing product at maximum capacity. Businesses are in business to make money. When the chance comes to increase profit, you take it. Especially, in this economy. Even if it is for a short period of time. There is the possibility that manufacturers cannot attain enough raw materials in order to ramp up production.

I believe something is happening that we aren't aware of. I don't know what, just a gut feeling. I have seen a couple of news stories where police departments are having trouble buying ammo. You would think government agencies would have no problem getting ammo.
    Could the manufactureres be stockpilling, waiting for demand to raise the price of ammo? That would really pi$$ me off.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I wonder,too. If they are manufacturing ammo at full speed, where is it going? None of it is showing up at LGS, the big box stores, or online.

climber1218

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    The pattern of these supply and demand issues related to ammo and components is fairly predictable for whatever reason they occur. In '94 it was the Clinton AWB that dried up everything. I was shooting a lot of USPSA/IPSC matches at the time and we actually go to the point of having to borrow primers from friends to be able to load enough to shoot a match. Then the panic buying from that event went by the wayside and prices dropped some, but never to the level prior to Sept of '94. When BHO was elected the first time, we saw it happen all over again. Prices for ammo (especially .223/5.56 and 9mm) skyrocketed and then slowly fell again. This is the third time in memory we have seen this situation - and clearly overall - the worst. However, depending what actually gets passed into law, we will probably again see a slow return to a general availability of all calibers and a corresponding drop in price. I think that there will be a difference this time though. I believe that we will see prices stay much higher and purchasing staying very brisk keeping a lot of pressure on the supply chain (again assuming something doesn't pass that changes everything from a legal perspective) until such time as people start to feel more secure with the federal government. Clearly, that is not going to be the case as long as the present administration and their philosophical followers stay in office and in power. We have to remember that this is one of the first groups that has stated in no uncertain terms that they intend to attack and lessen the historical constitutional perspective of the 2nd Amendment that we hold dear as part of their desire for a "fundamental change". So if you want to know the real reason that there is a perceived shortage of ammo at the moment, this is what I believe is the real driver and what sets the stage for the balance of the scenario which we are seeing play out - again. The installation of fear is a very powerful motivator.

indytiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I picked up a 9MM because the .45acp was to expensive. (funny how things work out)
    Who would have thought it's now easier to get the .45acp than 9mm.

When I saw the frenzy start I ordered bulk, still got a good price before it's was gone.
    Then I noticed the web sites that did have 9mm wanted about the same price as .45acp, so I ordered some of that. I should be set for a while.

The dealer I use said he does not expect prices to ever go back to what they where.
    If they do the serial number on each round it will get real expensive.

SO it's all my fault.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Didn't the DHS buy enough HP ammo to shoot everyone in the country 4 times? Hard telling how much range ammo they bought. That could be part of it, plus people who have never owned a gun in their lives are buying guns, and ammo.

Two-Tornadoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Where everybody knows my name
    Impending outlawing of assault weapons? It sounds like you have given in to the notion. Please don't be hasty in your conclusion regarding this issue. It's not over yet. Don't allow the antis persuade you into giving up your 2A right.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well as I see it, ammo just keeps getting more expensive. The last time (and it was the last time) that I was in Dicks, they had .38 Special on sale for a decent price so I bought the six boxes that they had left. It's going for more today then it did then...

Ammo is now an asset class! :twocents:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm having withdrawl simptoms! I want to go to the range!

"Will work for ammo"

I hear you. Before all this I went to the range weekly, and generally keep a decent supply of ammo. But not knowing when I'll be able to make another bulk purchase, I've decided to just sit on what I have. I think I've been to the range only once since the CT shooting.

But last week serendipity paid a visit while searching my basement for something. I ran across a heavy, familiarly sized cardboard box with "Remington" stamped on it. I quickly opened the box to confirm the contents, ten more boxes of 9mm I didn't realize I had.

Being that Saturday was national gun day, I figured I could spare a couple of boxes and hit the range. I probably won't get another "fix" for several weeks.

Top Bottom