• BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since when??

I've never heard of this either and I sold guns for over 6 years. Even if it were true, I send the state my SSN every year when I file my Indiana state taxes, so what! The only issue I have with guarding my SSN is to prevent identity theft. If you trust your dealer and his employees to safeguard your information, then there should not be an issue. I've been in the military and had a top-secret clearance. I later worked for the government. All my neighbors, friends I grew up with and the others I worked with said that they always knew I had gotten a new job or security clearance, when the federal agents came knocking at their doors asking about me. The government knows more about me than I can remember. With all this, I never got an unexpected knock on the door from a federal agent. All this being said, do what makes you feel good! It is your information and your life.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I am seeing more of these delays lately

My first gun purchase of 2009 has resulted in a 1 week delayed approval by ATF. In other words I can pickup the gun in 1 week according to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm asking because last year in 2008 I made half a dozen or so gun purchases and all were approved the same day and within in minutes. I live a very quiet life and don't even get traffic tickets.
    I am a FFL dealer in Fishers and had not seen any delays until the past month and I have had four delays; one turned into a refusal. The others were finally approved after two days. Two of these people are repeat customers and the earlier background checks took only minutes to go thru. The rule is if the FBI issues a delay you as a FLL Dealer has to wait three business days and if you do not get approval by then you can release the weapon. The three days are whole days so if your background check goes in on a Wednesday your waiting days are Thursday, Friday and Monday and the FFL can give you the gun on Tuesday if they have not had a ruling by that day.

If it later comes back refused I believe the gun owner will get a visit from the the BATF to take the firearm. I do not know why all of a sudden I am seeing these delays but obviously I am not alone with this problem.

Dick

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I doubt that is the reason

Maybe the BATFE is finally starting to "enforce existing gun laws" as it should always have been. :dunno:

I was told the delays are caused because of the backlog of applications that need to be physically checked by "people" after they get flagged for various reasons. I do my background checks using the NICS program on-line and it can take less than a minute up to several minutes unless one gets flagged as mentioned in this thread.

As for giving a SS# for your background check, I find the ones with a SS# go through much faster. Most people give their SS# to Dr. offices, stores, banks, etc. so what is the problem putting it on your 4473 form? A lot of people have similar names and the number helps identifying you and makes the process go faster for everyone.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I don't give my SS# to anyone. I've never been delayed.

As for the faxing...

A couple years ago when they tweaked a few of the gun laws, somebody stuck in an amendment and made the FFLs fax the 4473 to the State Police... this was recified the following session and the requirement to fax was removed.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    99% of the time it's because you have an "I" or "T" in you name that you fail to dot or cross, respectively. Thankfully this hasn't happened to me because I'd be really ticked off.

Or your name is close to someone else. I know a guy who gets the wait EVERY SINGLE TIME, and he's never had as much as a parking ticket, because of it he won't go to gun shows because it's a waste of his time and the merchants.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    If you are always delayed

Or your name is close to someone else. I know a guy who gets the wait EVERY SINGLE TIME, and he's never had as much as a parking ticket, because of it he won't go to gun shows because it's a waste of his time and the merchants.

I was told by the FBI if I have a customer who always gets delayed to have them call or write to them and they will send you some forms to fill out and once they get them the problem should be solved. They sent me a package and I noticed there was a fingerprint card in it.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I was told by the FBI if I have a customer who always gets delayed to have them call or write to them and they will send you some forms to fill out and once they get them the problem should be solved. They sent me a package and I noticed there was a fingerprint card in it.

I'll have to pass that along.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    If you are experiencing delays in your background checks.

I received a packet from the FBI NICS E-Check people which includes instructons for participating in the Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) program. Right now after 24 hours after a transaction your information is purged from their system, this program keeps your approval information on file for future transactions. If you are paranoid about the government having this information on record don't bother with this program.

I scanned the information and have it in a PDF file if anyone wants to read it. Send me your email address if you are interested and I will forward the info to you.

Dick
    email: sales@richards-guns.com

Top Bottom