• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Packing Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    NWI
    My first gun purchase of 2009 has resulted in a 1 week delayed approval by ATF. In other words I can pickup the gun in 1 week according to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm asking because last year in 2008 I made half a dozen or so gun purchases and all were approved the same day and within in minutes. I live a very quiet life and don't even get traffic tickets.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    99% of the time it's because you have an "I" or "T" in you name that you fail to dot or cross, respectively. Thankfully this hasn't happened to me because I'd be really ticked off.

TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Same happened to a friend of mine earlier this year. Per the shop he used, something flagged during the check to delay it. If the dealer isn't contacted within a week by the ATF to say what it is about, you can pick up the firearm. My friend waited a week and went back. No response from the ATF so he got to take it with him.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Isn't it great that the government doesn't have to pass a law to completely shut down new gun sales?

All they have to do is stop answering the phone... or say "delayed."

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My first gun purchase of 2009 has resulted in a 1 week delayed approval by ATF. In other words I can pickup the gun in 1 week according to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm asking because last year in 2008 I made half a dozen or so gun purchases and all were approved the same day and within in minutes. I live a very quiet life and don't even get traffic tickets.

It's the quiet ones that you have to watch out for:D Seriously though, it probably has nothing to do with you. It could be that the FBI NiCS folks were too busy and couldn't get to your form. It could be that someone with a similar name got into trouble since you last bought a gun and your 4473 needs further review. I've known folks without criminal records who always get delayed. They know that they'll eventually get approved, so they just deal with it. I wouldn't worry about it, since you seem (6 guns last year) to have enough hardware to handle a zombie attack:draw:

Packing Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    NWI
    Thanks guys for the responses and clever comments, I feel a little better about it now and not so paranoid. I'll see what happens in a week and I did go overboard buying guns last year trying to find that perfect one...its really hard.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I always get delayed. I was told someone with a similar name or close SSN could be wanted or flagged so they must look further into your application to verify identity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I have only had one come back delayed. It was a guy I know who got into a little trouble years back. Nothing major. It's my understanding that the NICS folks have 3 business days to make a decision, either deny or proceed. If I haven't heard back from NICS, it's up to the dealer to proceed or deny the transfer. It's always been my "rule" that if I'm ever in that situation. and I know the guy well, I will proceed with the transfer. In this case, NICS called me back on the 3rd day with a proceed response. Maybe the rules have changed since then, that was several years ago.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A good friend of mine owns a gun shop. From what I have seen, as long as you have a clean record, two things can cause a delay. If you choose to not supply you social security number, this will delay you almost every time. Silly, considering the govt GAVE you the number. The second delay I have heard came from a bad dealer who had done too many transfers to too many shady characters. You get delayed just because you were there.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    A good friend of mine owns a gun shop. From what I have seen, as long as you have a clean record, two things can cause a delay. If you choose to not supply you social security number, this will delay you almost every time. Silly, considering the govt GAVE you the number. The second delay I have heard came from a bad dealer who had done too many transfers to too many shady characters. You get delayed just because you were there.

Nothing like passing along information you think is correct....

I never supply my SS# because I do not want it laying around in a gun shop where anybody has access to it and I have never been put on hold.
    And I love the shady gun shop idea, must be why my father was put on a hold at Bass Pro I mean they are so shady!!!

I am not an FFL holder nor do I play on on TV or the Internet so I do not know why and even though I have several friends that are they also don't have a clue, it is because the guberment say so is normally the answer to that question.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Thanks guys for the responses and clever comments, I feel a little better about it now and not so paranoid. I'll see what happens in a week and I did go overboard buying guns last year trying to find that perfect one...its really hard.
    No such thing

Packing Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    NWI
    I never supply my SS# because I do not want it laying around in a gun shop where anybody has access to it and I have never been put on hold.

No such thing

Regarding giving your SS# what dealers have done is have me write it on a separate piece of paper which I get back after they phone in all of the info. That way it never appears on form 4473 that is kept and faxed to the state. So they had my SS#.

And yes! regarding going overboard on buying guns as long as the money holds out!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I just bought one this week and was done in 5 minutes after the call to the ATF. I had a boss at work that had to wait a week though.

Top Bottom