• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I just completed an intensive, 16-hour training course in Defensive Handgun Level One with Norm Hood of Defensive Solutions, LLC, at the Kodiak Firing Range in South Bend. I wanted to give the INGO community an after-action report for anyone considering defensive firearms training in the north-central part of the state.

I've owned firearms since my first BB gun at age 11. However, I never had any formal training. My dad wasn't into guns, and I had no one to teach me how to shoot. I just made it up, figured it out and went plinking and hunting.

When I was in school in Indy sometime around 1980, I got my LTCH for the first time. I also picked up a Taurus .38 Special revolver at a sheriff's auction for $15.

Over the years, I let my LTCH expire and didn't add any guns to my meager collection of a couple of .22 rifles and that lone revolver. However, I got more serious about a dozen years ago and bought my first semi-automatic pistol -- a Glock 23.

I finally got smart and just got a lifetime LTCH, and started expanding my armory, much to my wife's chagrin. She didn't like guns, didn't want to shoot guns, didn't really even want them in the house -- but she let me, as long as she didn't have to look at them.

A few months ago, after discovering INGO, I started frequenting a local gun shop/range and spied a flier announcing an upcoming NRA Basic Handgun Orientation. I took the flier home with the intention of attending the next class, but needing to make sure that nothing else was on the calendar. To make a long story short, the spousal unit wanted to attend, too!

It was an excellent introduction to safe handling of handguns, the types and functions of each, and basic shooting instruction. When it came time to shoot targets on the range, she naturally bested me with each handgun -- .22LR, .40 cal Glock and a S&W .357 magnum!

One thing that was stressed in the Orientation course was the tremendous legal responsibility that goes with carrying a handgun. I had never carried, but intended to and it made me realize that I needed to devote some serious time and money on some good training or I might live to regret it.

Through postings here on INGO and on another site, I discovered the Kodiak Firing Range on the south side of South Bend. It's a great range with great people. Nothing else like it around. I checked out the training that is offered there, and saw that there are myriad opportunities for all kinds of training, from free basic safety instruction for total noobs, to defensive handgun, carbine and shotgun training, conducted by Defensive Solutions, LLC.

http://defensivesolutionsllc.com/defsolwp/

I had the opportunity to watch Norm Hood in action during a practice session on the tactical range a few days prior to the Level One class. I think it's important for most people to like and to trust their instructors in any new endeavor, and I knew from the first few minutes that we would get along just fine. I hung around for about 3 hours, watching the drills and getting used to how he runs his sessions. I ate lunch, drove back to Kodiak and signed up for the next Level One class.

The classes were scheduled for 4 consecutive evenings. Five students signed up -- three old geezers like me and two young women. After filling out information sheets, Norm introduced himself and started right in on three hours of classroom instruction, covering basic handgun safety, range safety, basic handgun anatomy and function, etc. -- along with an occasional personal experience tidbit from his career in the Army and stint with the Alaska State Police.

With an hour to go, we convened on the tactical range with our supply of frangible, lead-free ammo. Everybody was sporting a Glock -- except for yours truly. I traded in my Glock on a Sig P226 and never looked back. :D

The first few rounds downrange to our targets about 5 yards away said it all -- the women put their rounds into nice, small groups. The one guy who hadn't fired a weapon since '71 plugged a nice, 2" group ... and mine looked like it was hit by a blast of 00 buck from 50 yards. To say that I was discouraged would be an understatement. On behalf of Sig owners everywhere, I had to do better than that!

The next night Norm introduced a couple of coaches who were there to lend a hand with our instruction. They did a great job of keeping us in line and jumping in when one of us was having issues with presentation, grip, sight picture, etc.

My biggest beef with my Sig P226 is the trigger pull. Being a SA/DA, the first pull is long and hard. The Glock folks just shove their pistols into their holsters between exercises, but I have to de-cock first to lower the hammer, making my first shot out of the holster DA.

One of the things we worked on was consistent trigger pressure. It was really the first time I had ever slowed down and concentrated on it. It's pretty amazing what you can feel when you get everything else dialed in and can focus solely on trigger squeeze. I'm definitely sending my Sig back for the short-reset trigger job.

By the last night, it was evident that everyone was struggling a bit. It's a TON of instruction to absorb each night, with no time to practice in between sessions. The good news is that a lot of it can be practiced at home without ammo. I had a decent grip at first, but discovered that I have an annoying habit of letting my support thumb overlap my other thumb, making life difficult. It SO reminds me of golf lessons many years ago. I know what I should do, but getting my various body parts to all cooperate at the same time seems to be a challenge.

By the last evening's session, we worked on movement while shooting -- side-stepping, moving toward and away from the targets -- and clearing all types of malfunctions. In fact, in a short span of shooting we were able to see a variety of malfunctions in the Glocks. Sadly, I just couldn't get my Sig to malfunction at all (until a frangible bullet broke off in the breech!) I thought those Glocks were bullet-proof? :D

We did a variation on the Tueller Drill, to demonstrate how a threat may be a lot closer than you think. I learned that my Serpa holster needs to be reserved for other kinds of training or thrown on the scrap heap. I had too many issues indexing my finger on the release button, causing me to lock up far too many times. With my selection of holsters, I'm beginning to think that finding the right holster is about like women buying shoes and purses. :D

One bit of homework we were assigned the first night was to fill out our expectations in the workbook. My expectations were simple:

1) I expect to improve my shooting accuracy and efficiency

2) I expect to learn proper form and techniques for self-defense

3) I expect to observe the training methods and materials

4) I expect to be left wanting more training

In the end, ALL of my expectations were met in spades. While I'm no dead-eye now, my accuracy has improved significantly.

Instead of acquiring and ingraining bad habits from self-study on the internet, I learned proper stance, grip, presentation, trigger control and defensive movement.

I saw how Norm teaches his classes, and found him to be experienced, knowledgeable and effective in his teaching methods (well, they appealed to me anyway). Although we all arrived with various levels of experience and different expectations, we all emerged with similar proficiencies and competence. Nobody got hurt feelings from being yelled at (even when they probably deserved it.)

I plan to start attending the practice sessions to further hone the skills that I acquired last week, and then continue my training with Level Two, which incorporates more positional shooting, more movement, engagement of multiple targets, use of tactical lighting and more good stuff.

I know that was a long read, sorry. But if you live anywhere near South Bend and are looking for some quality training at a really nice range without breaking the bank, you might want to check out that link above. I'm looking forward to tackling more training as long as the money holds out.

Hope that AAR is helpful to somebody.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Very good write up! I too have owned guns for many learns without any formal training. I also took the NRA Basic pistol to start at the bottom. This spring I plan on taking the very course you just reviewed. It's good to know I'll get my moneys worth.

Edit: For me, the only downside is taking classed like that after a hectic day at work.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Very good write up! I too have owned guns for many learns without any formal training. I also took the NRA Basic pistol to start at the bottom. This spring I plan on taking the very course you just reviewed. It's good to know I'll get my moneys worth.

Edit: For me, the only downside is taking classed like that after a hectic day at work.

Yeah, it's not easy. I was kinda drained after working all day, then had to dress for success after work, hit Mickey D's on the way, then race over for the class. However, I found it worth the effort. I hoe you do, too. :-)

9mmpeace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    I took the women's intro (12-hour) course.

Norm's quiet approach helps you gain confidence as well as competance.

The training is worth every penny.

Only problem is my husband is frustrated that he isn't a much better shooter than me, 'tho he has more training (from Norm) and practive, LOL.

: )

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure how I missed this, but it's an excellent AAR and goes to show why training is so important.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I'm not sure how I missed this, but it's an excellent AAR and goes to show why training is so important.

Thanks, Que. I have enjoyed working with Norm -- both learning from him and coaching for him -- for the last few months, and am looking forward to a busy spring and summer doing more of the same.

As for missing this thread, the solution is simple: Just subscribe to my posts. That way, you won't miss a single word of my vast knowledge and experience base that I willingly share with the world. :D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I missed it the first time too. It was funny, I started reading it and thinking, wait a minute, I met this guy in a Spaulding class, what gives? Then I looked up and noticed the date. Good report even if I was slow in seeing it.:)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I missed it the first time too. It was funny, I started reading it and thinking, wait a minute, I met this guy in a Spaulding class, what gives? Then I looked up and noticed the date. Good report even if I was slow in seeing it.:)

You guys shamed me into posting an AAR for the Level Two Defensive Handgun course. I neglected to follow up this thread with an update, so I started a new thread for the Level Two class.

I enjoyed the Spaulding class, too. All skill levels seemed to be present at that class, but there was one guy who was just too good. When I saw the INGO shirt, I had to ask. Mike, I hope to train with you someday soon. :D

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    I, too, have trained with Norm at Kodiak. He is an excellent instructor. And Kodiak is a great place to take the classes. I do plan on attending more of them in the future. And, FWIW, Norm does teach the same class in a 2 day weekend at 8 hours per day. Although it is pretty intensive training in two days, it doesn't tie up several evenings during the week, especially if you have to travel a bit to get there. +1 for both Norm & Kodiak.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the post as I've been wanting to do this for some time now but can never seem to get my schedule in line with the training classes.

I've been to Kodiak and have shot their before. Nice place and people.

Top Bottom