• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    OP should wait until 2 weeks BEFORE gun season opens up to look for ammo and then wait until 2 days BEFORE season to sight rifle in just like "he" waited 2 months BEFORE the gun season opens up to get a DEER legal rifle! :n00b:

I have several deer to be used and are sighting in with ammo on the shelf, so don't worry about that. I just wanted to see if I could find something that interest me.
    I only stared this thread for help and information not criticism. It's responses like this that make so many people leave this form.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have several deer to be used and are sighting in with ammo on the shelf, so don't worry about that. I just wanted to see if I could find something that interest me.
    I only stared this thread for help and information not criticism. It's responses like this that make so many people leave this form.

And people that wait until a month or so before hunting season starts to get their gun and wait to sight it in (If they even do) day or two before the season starts. Some Bowhunters do it too. These people are the ones that make it dangerous to be in the woods! I hope they leave the woods and if they choose to leave the forum then that is of course their choice.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Soooo..... A month is not early enough to get familiar with a gun ????? seriously ??? It's like riding a bike... NOT like a bow at all.... I killed a deer with my gf's 44 mag last year...... 80 yd shot....never picked it up before... deer ran 10 yds.... Anyway, ammo is in short supply.. in any caliber

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Soooo..... A month is not early enough to get familiar with a gun ????? seriously ??? It's like riding a bike... NOT like a bow at all.... I killed a deer with my gf's 44 mag last year...... 80 yd shot....never picked it up before... deer ran 10 yds.... Anyway, ammo is in short supply.. in any caliber
    I call BS...I can get just about any caliber at 3 seperate places within 15 miles of my house. (.22lr is still sporadic) but 9mm,.45acp,.380,30-30,.223,7.62x39,.357,.44,.40sw,30-06,.308 and many more all right there on the shelves for the taking without the gouging prices.
    Just picked up tonight a pound of IMR4046 under $25 and they had 8 of those on the shelf and there were 5 or 6 other flavors on the shelf. I live just north of Terre Haute.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I agree unless someone is a full time hunter that a month is not enough time. Just based on the fact your time will be limited to( at least in my case). Some Saturday afternoon range time. So really a month is 4 afternoons. I would. Never go into the woods with a gun I was not comfortable with. I have been that guy and made that mistake several years ago when I first started hunting and gut shot my first buck.
    If I buy a rifle before this season and don't get enough time with it I will just use my rem. 700 ML or my marlin lever action 44 mag. Both of these will do the job, I just have an itch for a new toy.

On another note I'm going to look at a model 70 chambered in 358 bfg tonight. I will post something tomorrow if i purchase. Hopefully I will be able to figure out to upload pictures from my phone.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I agree unless someone is a full time hunter that a month is not enough time. Just based on the fact your time will be limited to( at least in my case). Some Saturday afternoon range time. So really a month is 4 afternoons. I would. Never go into the woods with a gun I was not comfortable with. I have been that guy and made that mistake several years ago when I first started hunting and gut shot my first buck.
    If I buy a rifle before this season and don't get enough time with it I will just use my rem. 700 ML or my marlin lever action 44 mag. Both of these will do the job, I just have an itch for a new toy.

On another note I'm going to look at a model 70 chambered in 358 bfg tonight. I will post something tomorrow if i purchase. Hopefully I will be able to figure out to upload pictures from my phone.

Hey I can respect a man that "gets it" and can admit what is truly wrong (Going out to hunt unprepared). We as hunters do owe all our prey the basic right to a clean and fast kill. We all get that bug of "new toy syndrome". I think it might be programmed into us genetically. So we have medical excuses and its not something we can do anything about! Ill try using that excuse this weekend with the girlfriend! :laugh:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    And people that wait until a month or so before hunting season starts to get their gun and wait to sight it in (If they even do) day or two before the season starts. Some Bowhunters do it too. These people are the ones that make it dangerous to be in the woods! I hope they leave the woods and if they choose to leave the forum then that is of course their choice.

Wow, you sure are opinionated! Also dead WRONG. Why in the Hell do you think a person experienced with handling firearms becomes "dangerous" when handling a different caliber or gun. According to you all the Professionals are "DANGEROUS" when they try out and hunt with the newest firearms produced by the manufactures. You apparently don't have much if any experience with firearms and / or hunting. Many people that hunt in Safaris in foreign countries or Alaska obtain their firearms for the hunt from the Guides (and certainly have a very short time to become proficient with the firearm).

My Son and I have over 30 different calibers - near to 100 firearms, and have had zero problems. The only issues with waiting (many have to do this due to financial reasons) is it may be difficult to find the firearm and ammo you really want just before season due to low stock. Many people (me included) have "practice" ranges on private lands that allow us to shoot as many rounds as necessary, anytime we want to sight in and become familiar with the firearm. I will concede that a Bow may be different - but a crossbow should be quite easy to sight in and there is little reason a person cannot learn its characteristics and become proficient in its use in one or two days.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    save your self a ton of money and get a Rossi 92 lever gun in 44mag or 45C......they will take down any deer in the state out to a 150y's....for around 450 or less....

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Wow, you sure are opinionated! Also dead WRONG. Why in the Hell do you think a person experienced with handling firearms becomes "dangerous" when handling a different caliber or gun. According to you all the Professionals are "DANGEROUS" when they try out and hunt with the newest firearms produced by the manufactures. You apparently don't have much if any experience with firearms and / or hunting. Many people that hunt in Safaris in foreign countries or Alaska obtain their firearms for the hunt from the Guides (and certainly have a very short time to become proficient with the firearm).

My Son and I have over 30 different calibers - near to 100 firearms, and have had zero problems. The only issues with waiting (many have to do this due to financial reasons) is it may be difficult to find the firearm and ammo you really want just before season due to low stock. Many people (me included) have "practice" ranges on private lands that allow us to shoot as many rounds as necessary, anytime we want to sight in and become familiar with the firearm. I will concede that a Bow may be different - but a crossbow should be quite easy to sight in and there is little reason a person cannot learn its characteristics and become proficient in its use in one or two days.
    Yeah, you got me. I dont "have much experience with firearms or hunting"....... Wanna count how many deer are in my freezer or on the wall? How about stare at my collection? Or you could stop talking smack and put up or shutup.....you challenged....now bring it......what gun range and how far? I'll load my own rounds and you go dump all your money on factory ammo. Goto google and search the term "taking out of context" and read it twice then comprehend what that means then compare to what you just did in your genius paragraph.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yeah, you got me. I dont "have much experience with firearms or hunting"....... Wanna count how many deer are in my freezer or on the wall? How about stare at my collection? Or you could stop talking smack and put up or shutup.....you challenged....now bring it......what gun range and how far? I'll load my own rounds and you go dump all your money on factory ammo. Goto google and search the term "taking out of context" and read it twice then comprehend what that means then compare to what you just did in your genius paragraph.

I did not "challenge" you - although I can see how a person with the audacity to post the comment to the Op would feel that way when someone cited examples that totally disprove your "fictitious facts". I merely made my comments (backed by some 50 years experience with firearms) when you made malicious snide comments to an OP asking for information. I did not see anything in his post that requested or deserved the comments you posted. If you feel you have the right to be a bully - I damn sure feel I have the right to tell the truth and disprove your statements.

I don't even hunt any more as I am 72 years old and somewhat incapacitated - hip replacements. But I assure you I have hunted many years. As far as reloading, my son and I do reload a few rounds. At the current time we have about around 10- 15K reloaded, in addition we have another 15 - 20K of factory and surplus military rounds and at least enough components to reload 30 K more (except for brass) most of our reloads are just plinking rounds loaded on a Hornady L&L progressive, some very hot rounds (loaded on one of the 5 hand presses). that are game MOA for our 44 mag Encore and Colt Anaconda. Other 30-06 and .308 rounds loaded for accuracy. Son does have a fairly good bow, but hasn't hunted in the last few years. I did not nor do I now say I can currently out shoot anyone in accuracy anymore due to my old eyes - if you had read my older posts you would have found that. I will say a few years ago I would have shot against you at any distance you wanted. Would have been fun (except possibly for your company - and not the first time I shot competition.

My comment about your experience was based on your inane statement that a person must have a firearm several months in order to be a safe and / or accurate hunter. That statement is ridiculous and has absolutely no basis in fact. I know hunters that have the same firearm they have owned for several years that I would not go into the same woods with - others that I would feel very confident that could take any of my firearms that are sighted in and be safely and humanly hunting in 4 hours. I know some that have wounded and lost more deer than they brought home. Others that never take a shot beyond their firearms (and their) effective range.
    The way you phrased your statements to the op reminded me of several Bullies I knew at school some 60 years ago. Some of them were hard to educate also - but I did try my best.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I did not "challenge" you - although I can see how a person with the audacity to post the comment to the Op would feel that way when someone cited examples that totally disprove your "fictitious facts". I merely made my comments (backed by some 50 years experience with firearms) when you made malicious snide comments to an OP asking for information. I did not see anything in his post that requested or deserved the comments you posted. If you feel you have the right to be a bully - I damn sure feel I have the right to tell the truth and disprove your statements.

I don't even hunt any more as I am 72 years old and somewhat incapacitated - hip replacements. But I assure you I have hunted many years. As far as reloading, my son and I do reload a few rounds. At the current time we have about around 10- 15K reloaded, in addition we have another 15 - 20K of factory and surplus military rounds and at least enough components to reload 30 K more (except for brass) most of our reloads are just plinking rounds loaded on a Hornady L&L progressive, some very hot rounds (loaded on one of the 5 hand presses). that are game MOA for our 44 mag Encore and Colt Anaconda. Other 30-06 and .308 rounds loaded for accuracy. Son does have a fairly good bow, but hasn't hunted in the last few years. I did not nor do I now say I can currently out shoot anyone in accuracy anymore due to my old eyes - if you had read my older posts you would have found that. I will say a few years ago I would have shot against you at any distance you wanted. Would have been fun (except possibly for your company - and not the first time I shot competition.

My comment about your experience was based on your inane statement that a person must have a firearm several months in order to be a safe and / or accurate hunter. That statement is ridiculous and has absolutely no basis in fact. I know hunters that have the same firearm they have owned for several years that I would not go into the same woods with - others that I would feel very confident that could take any of my firearms that are sighted in and be safely and humanly hunting in 4 hours. I know some that have wounded and lost more deer than they brought home. Others that never take a shot beyond their firearms (and their) effective range.
    The way you phrased your statements to the op reminded me of several Bullies I knew at school some 60 years ago. Some of them were hard to educate also - but I did try my best.
    Im sorry....You must have me confused with someone that gives a ^%&$. ;)

I guess everyone else that agreed with me that people that decide to be "hunters" a month before hunting season and rush out UNPREPARED to the woods are dangerous, they must all be bullies. Just one big bully club in here. Oh yeah, Ive got the Hornady LnL AP also. Very nice press....you do have some degree of good taste....it just isnt shown here in this thread, much. :laugh:
    So if you are all done with "our" who can pee the farthest match....ive gotta bow out and go drink some more water. I dont have a record of picking on the elderly and dont want to get the reputation of doing so.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Okay now that everyone is thuroghly upset at each other. I have good news. I bought a 358 bfg last night. Built in a win. Model 70 with luepold vx2 3x9 on it, also a set a dies to reload. So if I have enough range time and get a good load it will be used I this coming firearms season. Unless I fill my tags during bow. As soon as I can I will post pictures.

Side note scope might come up for sale or trade

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    This started out interesting and turned into a pissing match. As a new IN. resident I would of like to hear more about the the best calibers to use here as you've got some of the weird cartridge restrictions. My safe is full but none are legal for taking deer in IN. I'm always up for a new gun anyway. And what the heck is a 358 Bfg? Another wildcat?

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    And what the heck is a 358 Bfg? Another wildcat?[/QUOTE]

yes it is one of the wildcat rounds similar to the 358 Hoosier. Mine is the bfg in the 1.62 case length range( you can get a 1.8 case length. It will push a 200 grain round to 2500-2700 fps with the right load, and will take a deer at 300 yards with ease. Contact bfg designs, he is a site supporter on here, from his posts he has endless knowledge of the new wildcat rounds where mine is just minimal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      543.4 KB · Views: 9
    Top Bottom