• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Howa has a new 6.5 Grendel. I saw a barreled action somewhere too. That could be the perfect youth rifle for varmints and deer.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Howa has a new 6.5 Grendel. I saw a barreled action somewhere too. That could be the perfect youth rifle for varmints and deer.

That might be ideal for any state that allows centerfire rifles from .243 on up, but it's not legal for deer here in Indiana yet.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Does Remington still make the model 7? That would be perfect for a young man, yet not too small for a grown man wanting a handy rifle. I would go with some flavor of 6 or 6.5mm.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Does Remington still make the model 7? That would be perfect for a young man, yet not too small for a grown man wanting a handy rifle. I would go with some flavor of 6 or 6.5mm.

Yep
    That really is a great idea, but I sure hope the standard price for a new one is quite a bit less than full retail!
    https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-seven/model-seven-cdl
    Available calibers: .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, and *drumroll* .260 Remington

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yep
    That really is a great idea, but I sure hope the standard price for a new one is quite a bit less than full retail!
    https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-seven/model-seven-cdl
    Available calibers: .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, and *drumroll* .260 Remington

I just choked a bit. Holy crap. There might be some on the used market that aren't so bad. The 7mm-08 is a great option too. Between that, the .243 and the .260, I can't see how any are a bad choice. They all have many bullet options, including very high B.C. offerings, and recoil softer than their common parent cartridge.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Barreled actions for the Howa 6.5 Grendel are $407 at Brownell's. 20" barrel 10 round mag. Special order 5-8 weeks. I'm really considering making one for my daughter. I also heard that they will have a 7.62x39 later in the year on this mini action.

ETA: heavy barrel version is $439.

sporter is 1:10 twist, heavy barrels 1:8 twist.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I say an older Marlin or Winchester in 30-30. If you are looking for something a little different, maybe a Savage 99. You have to go with a lever this time!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom