• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBpB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm looking to get a rifle to use here in IN this year, but I'm not really familiar with the legal small calibur rifles. Can you lend some advise as to what I should look for, and where to find one at a good price? As is just about everyone now adays, I'm not swimming in cash, so I'd like to look at the lower end of the price range. I'm also 6'2" and have long arms, and most that I've seen seem to be a little short for me. Do I just need to get used to it or have I just not found the right one?:dunno:
    Thanks in advance!

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    lots of different makers out there , but you can use in a rifle, 357 or bigger with max case length of 1.625 in ...357 mag , 41mag , 44 mag , 500 s&w , 458 socom just to mention a few . There is a bolt action centerfire rifle that is legal chambered in 358..dont know alot about it , but i do know a guy who has one its a remington 700 in short action ...H&R makes alot of different single shots in pistol calibers that are legal for a small cost . All of these seem to shoot very well ....If you get a chance check the indiana department of natural resources website for all of the rules ...THANKS JESSE

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    The H&Rs generally run about 250.00 for a new one , nice little guns ive had no problems at all with mine..i love the 44 mag caliber myself as well . good luck . If you ever get around logansport indiana you can check bass and bucks in wabash, In or downham and sons here in logansport ..

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    the 44 mag is plenty to put down a whitetail . ammo is plentiful also. I hope this helps you .. and by the way they are short guns lol
    but you will get used to it

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    the 44 mag is plenty to put down a whitetail . ammo is plentiful also. I hope this helps you .. and by the way they are short guns lol
    but you will get used to it

+1, I've used 44 levers, Puma and Marlin, My current honey is a Ruger 77/44 bolt gun with a red dot burris on it.

I've used the Hornady 225 Leverevolution ammo, I've posted several times on how well these combo's have served me,

I'm not much for smaller diam.
    bigger hole = more blood = faster kill
    its my mantra, but I'm not a fanatic so I don't go looking for 50cal's,

be sure to check your firearm with your hunting coat on, I never could get the lever's to shoulder well but that me

DBpB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    New Albany
    Yes I have hunted, haven't gotten one yet. Took a shotgun out the last two years. Two years ago I didn't see anything when I was out. Last year I saw a few, totally missed one, and the other two shots I took were out of range. I like shotguns for skeet, pheasant and quail. Just doesn't seem to be my thing for deer.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    If you're not having any success with a SG then try a muzzleloader. It allows you to hunt both firearms & ML seasons with the same gun (no more expense since that is a concern) & you can find a really nice one in .50 cal for the price of a centerfire rifle of smaller caliber. They will have nearly the same range & accuracy as any (most?) pistol caliber legal deer cartridge as long as you stick with the magnum varieties (can you even buy new ML's that aren't magnums anymore?).

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've hunted Muzzle loaders for year and while I'm sure I catch stuff for this, the ONLY muzzle loader out there for me is the Savage , Smokeless powder, accurate, basically a 50 cal rifle, Easy 250yd gun, Reliable, Clean, and very scope friendly,

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Savage has a new slug gun - 20g - that is supposed to shoot into an inch at 100 yards and is supposed be good out to 200 yards. It has the accutrigger, and it's bolt action. There's a scope that matches it with hash marks for proper holdover.

If I were still living in IN, that would be my deer hunting tool.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For the least expensive ($200-$300) option look into the single shots (Rossi, H&R, etc.) or a muzzleloader that you can also use in the muzzleloader season.

In the single shots .44 Mag is probably the most popular. I would take a .45 Colt myself, just so I don't have to add another caliber to my reloading list, and pretty much all of the rifles will handle 25kpsi to 30kpsi "Ruger Only" .45 Colt load data.

But my choice would be a .357 Magnum... that I could later easily get rechambered for .357 Maximum, and out of a rifle you can get near if not match .35 Remington performance with handloads.

The next step up in cost is going to be a lever rifle or a Thompson/Contender ($400-$800).

Above that price point the world is your oyster.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    44 mag will give you about twice the range of 357. The .358 Indy is gaining popularity, but you have to be willing to put up with a wildcat. Next year we have the possibility of the max case length of 1.8", so keep that in mind.

I've heard many praises on the accuracy of the H&R line.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I believe in keeping things simple. If you want the cheapest rifle possible get the H&R. They aren't bad. You can get a wood stocked rifle that has iron sights on it in 44mag with ammo for under $300. That's your cheapest route. Next would be an H&R where you need to add the scope, but those can be had for about $250, plus the cost of a scope. If you go to budsgunshop.com you'll see several puma 44 mag rifles shipped to your ffl for just shy of $400, then you have an ffl fee and you out the door with a lever action iron sighted rifle. There really are plenty of options out there but those are the least costly ones I can think of. The rifle part is up to you and your budget but any of the three I mentioned will be just fine for deer hunting.

My recommendation, is to stick with the 44mag. Nothing against all the other calibers out there and I'm sure they're fine, but why screw around with a wildcat cartridge or some odd ball thing when you don't have to. The 44mag out of a rifle length barrel is more than enough gun for anything in Indiana, and ammo is reasonably priced and found all over. Keep the caliber simple, a 44mag will leave you no excuses for a lost deer. I have a puma 44mag 20" stainless and I hit steel plates out to 150 yards with iron sights and practice. I've taken one deer with that gun and have complete confidence in it. I'm actually going to take that gun on a bear hunt in two weeks as a backup just in case something would happen to one of the other three rifles or scopes that we're taking on that trip.

Keep in mind the amount of money you will save shooting pistol cartridge ammo over shotgun ammo. I reload my own, but even factory ammo is cheaper than a $3 sabot slug or a cheapo rifled slug.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... But my choice would be a .357 Magnum... that I could later easily get rechambered for .357 Maximum, and out of a rifle you can get near if not match .35 Remington performance with handloads. ...
    I use a .357 mag. Works just fine and makes a dandy small game gun as well.

44 mag will give you about twice the range of 357. ..
    Both cartridges are limited more by their trajectory, which is virtually the same. With the right loads, both are easily 125 yd guns.

Shooters Forum - View Single Post - 357 or 44 for lever carbine-ballistic curves?

Nothing against .44 mag, .45 Colt, or any other, just saying.

DBpB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    New Albany
    Thanks for all the insight. Maybe I will try a muzzle loader this year. A frnend of mine and my dad has been trying to get me to for a couple of years now. I've just never used one. Will have to try to get some practice in before then.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Not the cheapest option, but you can get a TC Encore, and make it a ML, single shot shotgun or rifle with the swap of a barrel. Then you can hunt with whatever you decide for the day (that is legal).

Top Bottom