• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Who's using one? My nephew was wanting one for christmas and we're looking into them. What kind of range do they have? He's also wanting it for coyote hunting as well. Was wanting a shotgun but decided this would be more versatile. any input would be great. Also what are some good ones that aren't going to break the bank.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Marlin 1894

This was my first year hunting with my marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Turned out very well for me. I have a cabelas scope on it that is calibrated for the leverrevolution ammo. Did not use that ammo, and I don't particularly care for the quality of the scope, but for $49.99 it worked, but will be replaced soon. I like the size of the 1894, but also would like to try out one of the ruger 77/44s that gander had a decent price on earlier this year. One of the true bargain guns that I think would work well also would be one of the h&r handi rifles. Would be a true working budget gun, with the above mentioned scope. I know where you can get a real deal on one:) Here is my 1894 posing after its first big morning out. Coyote dropped in his tracks at 53yds, buck hit at 87 yds and ran about 100ish yards. Hit a little far back with 240 grain hornady xtp handloads.
    Nov14Buck62010.jpg
    [/IMG]

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Get an H&R .44 mag. It is easily a 100 yard gun, once you get around anything over 150 yards, you need to know how it shoots (practice).

Mine shoots WWB 240gr JSP and LeverEvolutions great.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I hunt with a ruger carbine and I love it. Realistic range is up to 150 yards, but shooting past 100 yards is pushing it. I've never coyote hunted with it, I like the reach of my 223's and 6mm, but as long as you don't care about the fur it'll work. As far as the best model, take your pick, none are going to give you minute of angle groups so pick one you like the feel of and don't be scared to get a good used one, its not exactly a barrel burner. I'm a rifle guy, but nothing is as versitle as a shotgun.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    What would you guys compare the recoil too ? My nephew is also wanting one. He is ten years old and has been shooting a muzzle loader with 100gr of powder. Would this be a kid freindly gun?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Ruger 77/44 with a burris fast fire 2, I've did the levers and the 77/44 is easier to handle, ect, I've put another thread together why I don't do lever's any more, They were the best in town until the bolt gun came to town.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    What would you guys compare the recoil too ? My nephew is also wanting one. He is ten years old and has been shooting a muzzle loader with 100gr of powder. Would this be a kid freindly gun?

what I did is load up light loads and get the young ones to practice and get them used to no recoil basically and then while hunting slip in hunting loads,

resight in before hunting

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Thats one more reason I love my 44 carbine-the semi-auto soaks up a lot of the recoil. I've taken 3 kids on their first hunts with this gun. Even with my full power handloads(almost 2000fps with 240gr xtp's and lil'gun) it kicks waaaaaay less than a ML or a 20 gauge. I'd say its about the same as a 30-30 or a 243.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have a Ruger 77/44 also, so far it shoots the winchester white box best. The recoil with full power loads and nothing more than a t-shirt can actually be a little more stout than what you would expect, but with typical hunting clothes it's not an issue. I've been able to make near bullseye hits out to 200 (with a lot of practice), but 150 yards max is a much more reasonable expectation for a rifle of this caliber.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I bought my son a H&R handy rifle in 44mag it came with a scope base and I put a 1.5 to 4.5 scope on it. It holds about a 21/2 inch group at 100yds shooting 225gr hornadys not bad and considering I got the gun on sale for $229 and put an $90 scope on it. Just over $300 and shoots good I would recommend it for young hunters the kick is not bad at all. My boy didn't like to shoot shotguns because of recoil but he loves the 44. The only bad thing is the weight but with a good bipod he shoots this gun really well. If money isn't a problem I would look at the Ruger 77/44 it's a really nice gun but your looking at about $600 and then you still need to buy a scope. You can find the handy rifle's pretty cheap used if you look.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I tote a Winchester 94 with a Leupold 4x on top, and I am very happy with it's performance. WWB's for me, too, btw. The gun is fond of multiple kills. Last year I shot three deer as fast as I could sight, acquire, fire-and all 3 dropped within 30 yards of each other under my stand. I am pretty sold on this combo. This year, just a double so far.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Like the other guys have said, the .44 is a great deer gun for Indiana. Reasonable range, good power, easy recoil, and usually pretty accurate.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have taken a couple deer with my .44MAG Marlin 336 with scout scope. I absolutely love this set up. Where I hunt 50 yards is a long shot, so I have never really had the chance at any longer shots. Both deer were actually well within 30 yards when I took my shots.

20091114-NateBuck.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Marlins are great rifles and 44 performs well with cast bullets so you can practice a lot.:)

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Me and the wife use Marlin 1894's. Puts meat in the freezer for us, so I'm happy! But seriously, they are handy, quick reloading and pretty accurate. I used WWB 240gr JSP and it seemed to work well.

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN

Marlin 1894 + $60 Wal-Mart scope + 240 gr. Winchester hollow-points = Dead deer! Just killed a doe with mine this morning. Dropped her from 70 yards away as I was walking to my tree stand.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What it will not do is hit deer at long distance. I shot at a very large deer yesterday morning. I had been seeing mainly small deer all year so far. No range finder deer standing broadside fence post for a rest. I shot low under the deer. I waited swing around the woods and walk off the distance on the way back. 239 steps. Way to far of a shot. The deer was big enough i misjudged the distance. The bullet was low.

Other than that all the deer I have shot with mine have been one shot one kill. I have harvested about 3 a year since They changed the rules to allow PCR's and the long shot was my only miss.

Top Bottom