• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you like to hunt with 10mm auto?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You would then be expecting the OP to use a little intellectual honesty. The poll should have simply stated the ballistics of the round and compared them to current legal rounds. I will give the OP a little credit. He's more than willing to go down with his sinking ship. No matter what evidence is provided, he refuses to change his mind.

Actually, I think his poll, poorly worded as it was, is very telling. 1 in 7 would like to use 10mm to hunt. I think that's at least as many bow hunter to gun hunter ratio, and probably a similar ratio to muzzleloader to other guns if you asked the same question with those weapons substituted.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    You would then be expecting the OP to use a little intellectual honesty. The poll should have simply stated the ballistics of the round and compared them to current legal rounds. I will give the OP a little credit. He's more than willing to go down with his sinking ship. No matter what evidence is provided, he refuses to change his mind.

True.

shibumiseeker said:
    Actually, I think his poll, poorly worded as it was, is very telling. 1 in 7 would like to use 10mm to hunt. I think that's at least as many bow hunter to gun hunter ratio, and probably a similar ratio to muzzleloader to other guns if you asked the same question with those weapons substituted.

True.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I voted no...not because I am not a big fan of the 10mm...because I am. I voted no because there are so many other better options for deere (specifically)...why bother?

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I voted no. I wouldn't hunt with it and I see no reason to include it. Why in the world should it be included? Just because some mall ninjas want to kill something with their carry guns?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I voted no. I wouldn't hunt with it and I see no reason to include it. Why in the world should it be included? Just because some mall ninjas want to kill something with their carry guns?

I am beginning to believe that the term "mall ninja" is one of those so overused, broadly applied terms that it says more about the user than the applicant.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I am beginning to believe that the term "mall ninja" is one of those so overused, broadly applied terms that it says more about the user than the applicant.

Nice deflection, but what's your point? Of course a 10mm can kill a deer, and in a nice platform like a 610 it would be accurate and make a fine woods gun. But why take a gun that falls outside the legal parameters and make an exeption for it? Either change the requirements or don't. But seriously, why randomly pick one cartridge and allow it?

And how many of the proponants are kids who are dissapointed that they have carried their gun for 2 whole months without being able to kill something with it? Is this an ego thing, to be able to brag about popping a deer with the gun in your waistband? Why the obsession with this?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nice deflection, but what's your point?
    Why the obsession with this?

No deflection. I think the term "mall ninja" is often used to dismiss and belittle someone who does not share your beliefs, even though they may actually have a clue what they are talking about and have a fair amount of experience to back it up. To casually toss an insult is lazier than actually having to come up with a coherent argument. The "mall ninjas" out there will be lazy or sloppy hunters no matter what the allowed methods are.

The discussions about why some folks are for (and against) it have been hashed out plenty in another thread, but for those of us who are for it the reasons are that it's a fine pistol hunting round with better performance than some other allowed Indiana pistol rounds, and it's currently being very successfully used to hunt in numerous other states. The main opposition seems to be split between those who don't think any common pistol calibers except maybe the .44mag should be allowed, those who think only "traditional" hunting weapons should be used, and those who are simply dismissing people who want it as "mall ninjas."

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Still deflecting. You are obsessing over two words that were used 3 posts ago and ignoring the rest. Shooting down strawmen like they were deer, eh? The point you choose to ignore is that the requirement has been set. Change the requirement, but it's ridiculous to say "Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Except the 10mm".

If you think the law should be changed to require certain foot pounds of energy, such as in Colorado, fine. Shorten the cartridge case requirement, fine (even though that would then legalize less powerful cartridges like 38spl). But just picking one person's favorite cartridge and adding it to the regs doesn't make much sense. Now you can go back on your mall ninja rant (hit to close to home perhaps?) or you can try thinking logically.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you think the law should be changed to require certain foot pounds of energy, such as in Colorado, fine. Shorten the cartridge case requirement, fine (even though that would then legalize less powerful cartridges like 38spl). But just picking one person's favorite cartridge and adding it to the regs doesn't make much sense. Now you can go back on your mall ninja rant (hit to close to home perhaps?) or you can try thinking logically.

Isn't that what we are asking for here? To change the regulations so they make sense? I think we can all agree that the purpose of the bullet diameter and case length requirements is to limit those rounds that fall below what is considered a lethal round for deer. 10mm has more muzzle energy than some currently allowed rounds. A muzzle energy requirement makes more sense than an arbitrary case length. But what sense does it make to allow a 308 in a handgun but not a rifle?

I suppose any of us who want logic used to determine the allowable rounds are mall ninjas, urban cowboys, rambo wannabes, etc.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It isn't just about 10mm though that seems to have been the focus lately. There are many calibers that should be legal that are not. The interesting thing about 10mm is that it is under the required case limit yet has more energy then some that are not. I don't simply advocate am addition of 10mm to the hunting regs. I would like to see any caliber with sufficient energy be legalized.

Top Bottom