• Dawn or dusk?

• Total voters

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Totally depends on the area and conditions for me. I have strictly morning locations and strictly evening locations and hunt them based on wind direction, food source and time of the season. Took my youngest son to one of my morning location yesterday and he killed his first deer there at 8:00 AM. (6 point, he was thrilled). Took my oldest son to my afternoon/evening location today and he proceeded to miss an 8 point at 3:30 PM. (he has killed 5 bucks previously at that location between 1 and 4).

If I had to categorize all of the times I have killed deer, (and elk, caribou and antelope), I would have to say that I have killed more in the morning and generally the biggest at mid day.

Dirty Steve

Last edited:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mostly hunt mornings (just too many potential problems at night) and have had no trouble filling my freezers. The 8-9 o'clock hour area seems to be the best year in and year out

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I had always prefered mornings but this year the last 30 mins of light seems to be the most deer movement.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    mornings.. as the temperature rises, any scents / signals are likely to rise along with increasing temps, opposite to evenings and dropping temps.

but hell.. for all i know im blowing smoke out my bung hole.

wives tale? who knows..

kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    I usually see more deer in the mornings. Makes tracking them a lot easier as you know you have pleanty of daylight

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I usually see most of the activity between 7am and 11am. I usually harvest a deer during that time, and am leaving the woods before dusk. I hunt public land, and at 9am when the pheasant hunters start shooting, the woods become alive with activity.

Top Bottom