• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    In years past I always got a regular "Deer License" which back in the day meant you could kill 1 deer of either sex. I learned last year that the regular deer license only allows taking an Antlered deer, and to kill a doe you have to have a "bonus" license, which to me sounds pretty dumb (i.e. you have to have 2 licenses now to kill 1 animal if you want to only shoot a doe), but then again I know not all laws are intuitive.

I don't hunt archery or muzzleloader, so just hunt in firearms season. It looks like if I want to be able to shoot either a buck or doe (goal for me is putting meat in the freezer) then I need a Deer License for $24, and then a bonus license at $24 for a total of $48. That would allow two deer, 1 antlered and 1 antlerless. If I wanted to get a 2nd antlerless tag I could at $15, making my total investment $63. Or I could just get the Bundle for $65 and kill up to 3 (only 1 antlered but all 3 could be antlerless).

I really only plan to take 1 deer this year, but seems like the difference in paying $48 to do that (so I'm covered if that animal is a doe) or just getting the $65 and not worrying and being able to take up to 3 if I decide to is the way to go.

Am I making this too hard? Why can't it just be 1 license for 1 animal?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm in the same boat. I usually only want 1 deer (although I missed 2 shots last year so I didn't get any freezer filler this year - I blame the gun, not the shooter) but have to get the license and the bonus anterless tag. I have not found another way around it. If I get the chance I'm taking 2 this year to make up for last year though.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For me, the bundle allows flexibility in taking advantage of opportunity. Buck, doe, don't care--it's all good in the freezer. I got one buck last year, and managed to miss a doe... Would have been just as happy nailing the doe instead. Whatever puts itself in my sights will get to become freezerfodder this year. It's nice for me at least to not have to worry about "do I have a license for that deer I see in my sights or not?" kind of situations.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Bundle is the best bet if you want to hunt all seasons and take multiple deer. If you just want to gun hunt and don't care to take a buck you can just buy a bonus tag fit $24 and whack a doe. You do not have to buy a buck tag in order to purchase a bonus antlerless tag.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    ilikeguns is correct. If you just want a doe, just buy the bonus tag.

Now if I did just buy a bonus tag, the biggest buck I have ever seen would walk right by me.

I buy the bundle as I hunt all three seasons and love the flexibility.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Agreed! The bundle license is the best bang for your buck (no pun intended). I hunt mainly archery all year, but like having the option to break out the bang stick during firearms if I want to.

I miss my VA hunting license tho... For like $40 or $50 (can't remember exactly how much) you could get your state hunting license for any/all small game and your big game license. The big game included I think 6 deer tags, 1 bear tag, and 3 turkey tags. Those were the good ole days!

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Lifetime license.... Best investment I ever made. That being said everyone I know buys the bundle and it works out well for them.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Bundle is the best bet if you want to hunt all seasons and take multiple deer. If you just want to gun hunt and don't care to take a buck you can just buy a bonus tag fit $24 and whack a doe. You do not have to buy a buck tag in order to purchase a bonus antlerless tag.

Hmm...the way the 2014 Hunting and Trapping guide reads, it makes it sound like you have to first have a Deer license, and then buy the bonus tag. It did not seem very clear that you could just buy a bonus tag independently of the deer license.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just buy a single license and if you find a doe first, do this trick... Nobody will notice. :):

31229d1355497183-favorite-holiday-character-clean_-_max.jpg

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This is one reason I like Kentucky. You buy the deer tags and it is an antlered and antlerless and good for any season,

to the OP - there are way too many hunters that think the general firearm tag is good for a deer - any deer.

Only you know how much you'll hunt or how many deer you want to take. That should tell you what to buy. IF I was in your shoes I'd buy the general tag and one bonus so I could kill either sex. IF you fill both tags then decide if you need/want another deer and the $15 tag.

IMHO..

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Hmm...the way the 2014 Hunting and Trapping guide reads, it makes it sound like you have to first have a Deer license, and then buy the bonus tag. It did not seem very clear that you could just buy a bonus tag independently of the deer license.
    It gets a lot of people. If you read close in the regs under deer firearms it lists every license that you can hunt with. Bonus antlerless is one of them. It does not have to be in conjunction with a regular firearms license. I had the same discussion with a retailer where I was buying my tag a couple years ago. They wouldn't sell me the bonus because I wasn't buying the buck tag. I argued, I showed them the regs, didn't matter. Luckily for me a CO happened to walk in and I flagged him down. He set them straight and I got my tag. After that I just buy my tags online and avoid the confusion. Until the bundle I NEVER bought a regular firearms tag. I refused to pay $24 on the off chance I would see the buck I wanted in the few days I get to gun hunt.

1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slight Hi-jack. Sorry. Does anyone know if the bundle covers crossbow? The rules are like trying to read Latin, to me. Again to the OP, sorry for the hi-jack.

jrose361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2011
    I hunt public land so the bundle is the way to go, in gun season I can take a doe if one walks out. Also love to use the ML and crossbow in the late season.

Top Bottom