• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Shooter, today we talked about dedicated 22LR AR-15 uppers. You mentioned CMMG and one or two others that I cannot remember.

I'm looking for an M4 style with a standard FSB and a Picatinney rear that I can put either a Red Dot or carry handle on. That upper will be a mid-length with a barrel twist appropriate for a 40gr (?) bullet.

Of the three, which two do you like?

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    I personally use the heck out of a Tac Sol.

Never had any issues with it.

92LX

Marksman
    May 20, 2012
    My 6 year old runs about 1/2 a box through his CMMG upper every time it comes out. He is a tomatoes worst nightmare.:ar15:

The only issue we had with the CMMG dedicated .22 upper is the plastic charging handle broke on round #8. Replaced it with a standard charging handle and it's worked fine since. ~2000 rounds through it so far.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    please humor me i dont have any experience with these. i do have a lower that im gonna build a 556 with but i have also thought about this for my stepdaughter i guess my question is these seem to be more than the mosberg 22cal ar what is the diff, i would assume maybe these are better? thanks for the info.

92LX

Marksman
    May 20, 2012
    please humor me i dont have any experience with these. i do have a lower that im gonna build a 556 with but i have also thought about this for my stepdaughter i guess my question is these seem to be more than the mosberg 22cal ar what is the diff, i would assume maybe these are better? thanks for the info.

There were 4 differences for me:

1)This was this was going to be my sons first (and political environment depending, potentially only rifle) I wanted him to have something that could be as much as possible. The firearm(lower) can be a .22 for now, a .223 for later, or a .458 socom for deer or whatever else for deerhunting later, and it is still just one rifle.

2) He listens, obeys the rules, follows directions and safety rules and has earned the trust. (He still sits on my lap, I help him support the weight of the rifle, but he shoulders it, aims it, knows to keep his finger along the receiver until he is ready to shoot, and scores 1st shot hits over 90% of the time.)

3) I wanted him fully aware of the AR-15 operation and takedown. He could always step up to dads gun if ever required and still know how to work it.

4) It is way cooler to have an M-4 lookin' .22 than a chipmunk (nothing wrong with a chipmunk).

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

What 92LX said. Plus I don't think he made it clear that the M&P and the others (didn't research it but suspect the mosberg too) is not made with an actual AR lower receiver even though they look very much like one.

I'd like to have a platform my tweens can start learning on now and upgrade later as they grow their skills and their physical ability.

Top Bottom