• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    Boy could I use some help. I am wanting to buy a compact to carry and can't decide on the 9mm or the 45. Then I see all the choices, Colt, Springfield, Kimber. I just looked at the Colt Defender, seems like maybe that ought to do the trick. What do you think? Then I've been told 45 is what you need. I think maybe it's to much gun to be carrying, weight wise. I do know that I want a compact, a 3" barrel, combat trigger. I need your input???? Thanks :rockwoot:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Handle as many different makes and models as you can and go with what feels best to you. You will be the one carrying it so your preference is what matters most. Everybody is different and what works for some doesn't work for others. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    9mm, .40, .45, Colt, Kimber, Clock, XD, etc all will do the job that you want, really depends on what you want, what trips your trigger, and what is comfortable for you.

Go to a lot of gun stores, fondle, and drool on a bunch of different models (rent if possible) until you decide which you like. :ar15:

Then have fun getting to know your new gun. :rockwoot::rockwoot:

fishgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    So is there a lot if difference in the caliber? One over the other? I would think that a 9mm with 147 JHP would take care of just about anything.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The most important is that the gun you choose actually has to be with you regardless of caliber, so forget about caliber so choose something that will be on you all the time. I have gone full circle, from a Glock 30 to now a Ruger LCP. I often left my bulky guns behind but now my LCP is with me all the time, a 380 on target is better than a 44 off target.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The whole .45 being a 1 shot man stopper is a bunch of BS. Buy what caliber fits you the best. Consider things like capacity, controllability, and felt recoil. Either caliber will get the job done if you do your part. Handle and fire as many guns as you can. Then make your decision of what fits you best. Everyone prefers a particular caliber, make, and model.

glock2010

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    In The Backwoods
    i would buy what feels comfortable to me check all the guns out that your interested in and feel them and hold them and as far as cal i would go with something you can afford to shoot:twocents::patriot::ingo:

Dr. Killshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Lebanon
    I bought my wife a Glock 26 for Valentines Day. I like it, it is what I carry when I conceal carry. It's just a smaller 17...proven to work. Also it fits perfectly in a Vera Bradley purse...if that's what you are looking for.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    To recap what everyone is saying ....

Do your homework. Resist the urge to purchase immediately (unless the need is there). Try a variety of platforms and calibers. Narrow the choices down to a few. Do more research. Compare available support (ammo, holsters, customer support) and costs (very important if you are going to fulfill the training component of your commitment to self defense). If you are lucky to have friends that own what you want, ask to try before you purchase. If not, rent what you want to buy before you plunk down the cash. Finally ... commit, buy, don't look back and train with what you buy.

If you do it right, you will buy what works best for you.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I would say glock, xd, certain sigs, hk, m&p, really any reliable polymer firearm will be more light weight USUALLY. I know that 3 inch 1911 have a tendency to be for finicky out of the box. Something like a glock 36 or glock 30 may be right up your alley. It all matters to how they fit your hand.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I bought my wife a Glock 26 for Valentines Day. I like it, it is what I carry when I conceal carry. It's just a smaller 17...proven to work. Also it fits perfectly in a Vera Bradley purse...if that's what you are looking for.

Another great thing about the 26 is that it will take all of the glock 9mm mags, so even more range fun or big back up mags:rockwoot:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Like the others said, get what feels good to you.

You will know it when you find it.

Caliber is second.

Just guessing, I'll venture to say I had my mittens on
    40+ handguns before choosing what I bought.

Before the purchase, I did additional research on calibers offered by the Manufacture.

Dr. Killshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Lebanon
    Another great thing about the 26 is that it will take all of the glock 9mm mags, so even more range fun or big back up mags:rockwoot:

So true, however I'm on the fence about mag extensions. A little embarrassing when your wife scatters a Pearce +2 mag extension at the range. I won't tell you who I got the mag w/ extension from, BECAUSE HE IS A MODERATOR FOR INGO. I don't want to shame him for trading me garbage.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    So true, however I'm on the fence about mag extensions. A little embarrassing when your wife scatters a Pearce +2 mag extension at the range. I won't tell you who I got the mag w/ extension from, BECAUSE HE IS A MODERATOR FOR INGO. I don't want to shame him for trading me garbage.

Yea I agree, I am not a big fan of mag extensions unless it came from the factory like that. To often can a mag extension cause problems from misalignment of a double stack or hindering the mag spring from it's true power structure. The 33 rounders from the factory are just a blast at the range.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

I plead the 5th, but for what it's worth I still run mine (different design, same manufacturer) without any issues. :dunno:

Last edited:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Ill agree with getting the holster and weight right for sure. I can tell a big difference after a couple of hurs...my S&W 442 all but disappears...its very light. My G27 makes me have to tighten my belt a notch. I'm 5'7" 225..I'm not complaining about it just bringing to attention that it doesn't take much to notice it. Good luck on your quest.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Handgun

Sadly there is no one size fits all handgun. As some others have stated you will need to get your hands on some different models and find what is best for you.

For a first handgun and something you would want to carry. I would suggest a 9mm. It has less to do with stopping power. Since good shot placement with modern JHP ammo with do the job regardless of the caliber you choose (9, 40, 45). The reason I suggest a 9mm is that the ammo is cheaper. This makes practicing easier and more affordable.

Proficiency with the firearm you choose is what will keep you alive if the situation arises. By practicing more vs having a large round. Your more likely to have rounds on target.

Handle a bunch of firearms and once you narrowed down the list to a half dozen or so. Rent or borrow and take them to the range. It is much cheaper to rent until you find the one you like, than to purchase a firearm you don't like.

For a carry pistol a good place to start is with the major polymer pistols. Glock, XD, S&W M&P, Ruger SR9, FN, CZ, etc. Find the one that fits you and train.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom