• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Starting with a single stage is good advice but it's not necessary if you pay attention. My first press was a 650. I've never had to pull "hundreds of rounds" from screwing something up. So far I've loaded between 20 to 25k and I doubt I've pulled 50 rounds total and the majority of those are due to cracked cases making it through the sorting process(or lack there of). Paying attention and following the directions is what matters. If you don't, it won't matter what press you are using, you'll still make bad ammo.

That said, I do have an old RCBS single stage that is handy to use. I use it for calibers I don't shoot much like 38spl/357mag or 204 Ruger. For the quantities I load of those, it's not worth buying a conversion kit for the 650. I also use the single stage for swagging 5.56. For the money, they are worth having around and you can save a bit on the scale, etc if you buy the starter packages.

But if you are going to reload any substantial amount of ammo, progressive press hands down.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Dillon 650 or 550 (depending on quantity you will be reloading). Great presses, fast, easy to use, widely available, great warranty.

It isn't a bad idea to keep an RCBS single stage hanging around for testing, small batches or depriming prior to wet polishing.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Thanks real helpful. What would be a good single stage to start with?

I just got into reloading this year. I first bought a Lee Classic Turret -- it was much cheaper than the Dillon. I ended up buying a Dillon 550. I still have the Lee Press. I only load 357 mag on that press. The dillon is great for reloading higher volumes. I don't regret buying either presses. With the Lee I was able to gain a better understanding of the reloading process as it takes 4 pulls to load one round. I probably would have been a bit overwhelmed with the dillon if I had bought it first, but there are SO many youtube videos out there on the dillon that it helps with the learning curve. Here are two I really leaned on when buying my dillon and setting it up:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ny-D2EStE

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0fVzYjdrs

Good luck with your press decision.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I were doing over again, I would be looking at a Dillon 550.

Dad has a RCBS RockChucker that he bought in the 70s and it is still pumping out quality .38 spl.

mlockhart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Noblesville IN
    My 2 cents.

I also started with a Dillon 550, No regrets it is an awesome machine. Go slow at first, follow published load data and pay attention. I added a single stage press later for swaging, bullet sizing and depriming. I figured out later for many of these processes I just needed a spare die block for the 550. Other than the powder check die I think the 550 can do whatever the 650 can do. The Dillon no BS warranty is awesome I've actually argued with them before that I broke something and wanted to pay for the replacement and they wouldn't let me.
    There probably is no wrong answer here, unless you don't use the equipment you buy then you'll wish you would have started with the single stage set up and spent less money. If your burning a bunch of ammo you'll wish you had a Dillon.
    Good luck.. Be safe.. Have Fun.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    The 650 press alone is about $570, not too much more than the 550 which is $430. But all the accessories add up. You can easily be $1000+
    A 650 without a case feeder is probably no better than a 550. But add a case feeder and bullet feeder and you can really increase your output.

The presses hold their value, used presses sell for almost the same price as new.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Got your reloading area figured out yet?
    If I was a sit down reloader I'd want something with a powder check capability, I think a D650 would do it but I have never owned same.
    I'm a stand up reloader, with a D550 I can see the charge in each case at the powder drop position & again when I'm in process on putting the bullet in position. I like this a lot.

Some folks actually enjoy the process of single stage reloading, so that option is kind of just a depends on you thing. Again, it is nice to be able to visually inspect the level in each round, sometimes you might catch a powder fill error and other times you might catch a bit of cleaning material or wedged range trash partially filling the case, does not happen often but things happen.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Got your reloading area figured out yet?

Some folks actually enjoy the process of single stage reloading, so that option is kind of just a depends on you thing. Again, it is nice to be able to visually inspect the level in each round, sometimes you might catch a powder fill error and other times you might catch a bit of cleaning material or wedged range trash partially filling the case, does not happen often but things happen.

If I ever start shooting at a volume that is high enough that I can't easily keep up with my single stage, I will buy a progressive. I am one of those that enjoys the single stage. I have a system that works well. Now, I admit, I can only load about 100 rounds per hour, but I do enjoy the process. Some nights I will pull the handle 100 times and not load one round. Other nights I will pull the handle 100 times and load 100 rounds.

+1 on this

check this out- $99 Rockchucker

Bullets.com

Pappy

That's a nice price. I paid $80 for mine used and had to drive to meet the guy.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The decision between a 550 and 650 should largely be based on throughput and number of calibers. If you're only going to load a few k rounds per year across several calibers, the 550 makes more sense. If you going to be loading tens of thousands of only a couple calibers, the 650 makes more sense. The caliber conversions cost more for the 650. I currently load about 6-7k pistol and rifle per year on my 550 and I couldn't begin to honestly justify the cost of upgrading to a 650. Back when I was shooting 20-25k per year, well, I wouldn't have kept doing it much longer without going to a 650, that was borderline too much for a 550.

-rvb

Last edited:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I think a question I haven't heard anyone ask the OP yet is how much do you shoot? For example if you only shoot around 1k rounds a year it will take you a long time for a progressive to pay for itself. On the other side if you plan on shooting 20k rounds a year it would be difficult to keep up with a single stage.
    Depending on your answer to that question; for a single stage I personally like the Rockchucker. If progressive (although I haven't personally used them, just going off of what I have researched) I like the Dillon.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I have a RCBS Rock Chucker with a piggyback unit attached making it a 5 station progressive. I have had this setup about 30 years and it works well for me. I load .38, .357, 9mm and .45acp. At todays prices I would hate to have to buy all new stuff so will stick with what I have. The Dillon stuff is very tempting but alot of $$$.

Top Bottom