• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've wanted to try my hand at making a knife for several years now and I've spent hours looking at steel blanks online and considering it. I finally got tired of waiting and last night dug through my tool box to find an old, rusty file that might make for a good 1st attempt. I fired up the MAP gas & propane torches and annealed it before I went to bed. I got up this morning, laid out a design and went to work. I didn't think to take any pics before I started but got a few after I started filing. I did the rough shape of the blade & handle on a bench grinder and most of the contouring of the blade with files.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

I ran to harbor freight and bought a cheap 1" x 30" belt sander and did some finishing to the blade and handle. I then dropped the knife into a chimney starter and fired it up until the blade was glowing red and no longer magnetic. I quenched it in old motor oil and once it cooled off I put it in the blast cabinet to clean it up.

IMG_1490.jpg

I plan to do some sanding to remove the filing marks and I still have some shaping to do to the handle. Once that is done I'll give it a nice flat black coating of Norrell's moly resin and sharpen the blade with my Wicked Edge.

I've also been researching how to make Micarta online. I'll probably pick up some epoxy resin tomorrow and use a bunch of my wife's linen scraps to make some handles for it.

I'm pleased with how it's turned out so far. I probably should have made it a little larger but I knew it was going to be a load of work and I'm not the most patient person. Keeping it on the small side would allow enough progress to keep my ADHD in check. I'll post back when I get some more done.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    That's very nice! :thumbsup:

Making micarta is fun, my daughter and I really enjoyed it. Have you thought about how you will attach the scales? Tubes, bolts, or pins?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looking good......now you will have to find someone to sharpen it when it's done.:D

:):

Note: I just talked with Mike today about your sharpening skills.

He called and told me about that :D

I grabbed some fiberglass resin from Auto Zone and stole some black, red & off white linen scraps from my wife. I just finished the linen up and gooping it real good with the resin so hopefully tomorrow morning I'll have a chunk of micarta to play with. The resin was kind of a dark brown which was a bummer so I'm not sure how well the red & white will show when I get to sanding on it but time will tell.

Tomorrow morning I'll begin polishing out the scratches and do any final shaping before coating it with black Norrell's.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    What a great hobby. You'll have family and friends standing in line for a special gift in the future.
    I think something like knifemaking would be perfect for that .. passing on a treasure to kids/grandkids.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks good. Two questions: how heavy is it, and what are you considering for a sheath? Keep it up!

I'd love to make a Kydex sheath for it. Unfortunately I don't have any of the tools required for the job. Buying everything would be a pretty big investment for just one sheath. Maybe I can ask a favor from someone who has the supplies to let me work under their supervision and make one. It would be really nice to be able to say I made the whole thing myself.:rockwoot:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I'd love to make a Kydex sheath for it. Unfortunately I don't have any of the tools required for the job. Buying everything would be a pretty big investment for just one sheath. Maybe I can ask a favor from someone who has the supplies to let me work under their supervision and make one. It would be really nice to be able to say I made the whole thing myself.:rockwoot:

Oh you'll be addicted to making them after your first one turns out good. Lol I'll bet this one won't be the last. The only thing more addicting then buying new knives, is making new ones. :D

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Cory, for a kydex sheath, give grunt soldier a PM. He's fairly close by, and you guys are more connected than you may know. ;)

Oh, and the knife looks pretty cool too!

Top Bottom