• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    So I purchased my first handgun recently (S&W Performance Center 1911 full size) and after going back and forth with... Do I carry? If I carry do I go IWB, OWB? How comfortable is it going to be? Should I dress to conceal? Etc, etc. Applied for my lifetime LTCH on Jan 8 (L1). Training course with Indy Gun Safety is planned for this Spring, and have finally decided to try an OWB Paddle hoslter and JFC!. One I am leaning towards is the Bianchi 59....

14-1580.jpg

I like the fact that it has adjustable cant and height and can be changed from cross draw to strong side so it gives me the opportunity to try multiple carry options without having to try multiple holsters.

Not gonna try real hard to hide it, just going to go about my business exposed and proud. Will I encounter some "resistance" here and there? Certainly. But I consider myself to be a smart, unselfish and very reasonable individual. I will be doing my part to minimize putting myself into situations that have the potential for "confrontation".

Feel free to tell me that I have made the right choice or try to convince me to get a smaller gun for CC. I can take it LOL!!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If you to CC a full size gun, go ahead. More power to you. Just be sure that a full size 1911 is a bit heavy and if you aren't ready for it, the thing is going to drag on you all day. I've seen people carry full size guns.

If you want to conceal the gun, make sure you have a good holster to fit the gun and the right kind of clothes. You have to dress to the gun. Make sure the holster works with your gun and you can employ it fast and put it back in easy. Don't forget belt you'll be wearing for your pants because as I said before, a full size 1911 is a bit on the heavy side, not that it's a bad thing. Just so that you are aware of it.

A smaller gun is go if you are wearing thinner clothes and well clothes like shorts and a t shirt. You have to make sure you trained to be aware that if others are aware of your gun, remember others can see your gun and think about the tactics involved in having your gun out in the open.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Being your first handgun it may feel heavy at first.
    A good belt will make all the difference in the world.
    Once you're used to carrying the 1911 you'll never notice it's on you. UNLESS IT'S NOT!
    I've been carrying a full size 1911 for over 40 years and it's like your wallet in your back pocket after a while.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Nothing wrong with carrying a full size piece. My EDC will be a Glock 21 or my 1911 and every time I tell somebody they look at me in confusion saying "Thats a heavy pistol!" Nothing wrong with it. Carry what you are comfortable with. Get a IWB truck holster for CC. 1911 is easy to conceal. I met a guy once that conceals 2 G21's every time he leaves his house. Best part hes about 5'10 and 160lbs and does a great job.

ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    Thanks for everyone's input so far. This will certainly be a trial and error experiment as I try to find the right holster combination for me.

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Just another idea here but with carrying a full size 1911, as mentioned above several times, its gonna be heavy. If you were to entertain the thought of IWB carry it could help with that issue. When you carry IWB with a good holster then it helps carry the weight on both sides of the gun. You will have it trapped between your body and your belt so it won't be pulling on your belt or pants as bad all the time. It will also be concealed that way and won't be getting caught on things when you walk by. Most of these issues will be minimized after wearing it for a while because you will get used to it and adjust your style but when starting out it would be more convenient.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    Carrying a full sized pistol really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. My go to carry gun is a Glock 17 IWB in a Highnoon Holster at 4:00. I can conceil it in just about anything.

If I were to OC, I would look at the holsters from Bravo Concealment. I've been very impressed with the stuff I've gotten from them.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm 5'6" and weigh 145. I carry a Sig 226 OWB. Carrying a full sized pistol isn't as bad as people make it sound. A good belt actually made to carry a gun and a good holster and you wont notice it. I prefer a leather holster, I use a Galco concealable model with a Galco gun belt.
    In the summer months I usually just wear an untucked tee shirt. People that know I carry sometimes can't tell I'm carrying. Plus I don't care if I "print" or if the holster shows.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Don't believe the hype nor the nay sayers....I carry a full size 1911 .45 government model every single day...either in an OWB Blackhawk Serpa, leather IWB or appendix carry. The secret? A quality GUN BELT and a quality holster. With a quality belt and bolster you will never notice it is there.

Invest in a quality leather gun belt and quality holster. It is $$ well spent.

GONZO!!!

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    do as you please. however, if you''re going to OC, be prepared to be hated on by civvies and cops alike.... mostly by cops, as the former doesn't seem to care as much. the decision is yours to make but if you do so i'd be WELL versed in knowledge of your rights and be able to throw indiana code right back into an over-zealous LEO's face.

Top Bottom