• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm looking for a half-way decent gun safe. I don't have kids, I live alone, but it'd still be nice to lock up the stuff I'm not using or carrying just to keep them protected in a safe and not collecting dust.

I don't have any rifles yet, however do plan on starting my AR build this month or next as well as collect a shotgun and maybe a 22LR plinker later on. I don't need it to accommodate many rifles, but I've got a few pistols and boxes of ammo I'd like to keep safe, as well as papers, documents, silver, and whatever else that I consider of value or of importance that I'd like to keep in a safe place.

Fireproof is a big plus! I'd be more worried about a fire than someone breaking in and wheeling that sucker out. I telecommute to an office job / aka work from home so I'm pretty much here all the time. They'd have to get through me to get the safe, and even then, the cameras outside would have got their faces. Trying to Fort Knoxicize my house :P

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Honestly, I don't think you can get into a fire resistant, rifle safe worth having for under $300 unless you can pick up something used off Craig's List. You might go the route of trying to hide the firearms instead of getting a safe, or you might look for something that isn't a safe but can be locked, and that can be bought secondhand like a school locker. Wish I could point you in a better direction, but I spent a heckuva lot of time looking at a whole bunch of safes and I just think you'd kick yourself if you bought something that is in the $300 price range, new.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have purchased two 24-gun fire resistant safes in the past for $599 on sale. One is a Cannon and the other Winchester. They aren't the best, but are decent enough. I got one at Tractor Supply and the other at Sam's Club. It's been a few years, but keep an eye out for sales, and you might still be able to pick one up for that price. Rural King, if they have stores in your area, occasionally have them on sale for around that price too.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have purchased two 24-gun fire resistant safes in the past for $599 on sale. One is a Cannon and the other Winchester. They aren't the best, but are decent enough. I got one at Tractor Supply and the other at Sam's Club. It's been a few years, but keep an eye out for sales, and you might still be able to pick one up for that price. Rural King, if they have stores in your area, occasionally have them on sale for around that price too.

Is this the Winchester you have by chance? I've been trying to decide if I want to pick it up:

Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.

Sorry OP, I'm in the same boat and wanting to get a safe that will last me a long while, but won't break the bank. This one seems to fit. Also, you may check your local WM. They had a Cannon 24 gun safe for $499 that my buddy has and he really likes it. It doesn't have the door organizer, but you can pick those up later for $100 - $150. I thought about that one as well, since it's less than the Winchester, but the Winchester has the door organizer and I liked the color and such better.

Smokeeater

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Warsaw
    I started out with a "cheaper" safe and then ended up getting a Liberty and have been very happy with the quality and functionality. As the old saying goes, you get what you paid for. Look for sales, usually around holidays. I have seen good safes go for as little as $600. Possibly look for something used, but again, you have to know what you are getting. To me, a safe is an investment. Not only for security of firearms and valuables, but for the fire resistance that most of them have. Good luck on your search.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    for budget safe Walmart and Menards have the best prices i have seen. walmart has a stackon 18 for around $400. i have seen them closer to $300 when on sale. you really do not get much for the $300 range. save up your money and get a good brand and make sure it is large. i wish i would've bought bigger to start with. I am getting ready to add my third.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks everyone. I also found this: Stack-On 14 Gun Fire Resistant Security Safe - Walmart.com

I'll probably choose in the next month or so.

I believe this is the same one Party posted a link to at Menards, they look identical at first glance.

I purchased one at Menards as a 2nd safe.

Things to keep in mind to optimize the security & fire protection is location.

Be sure to BOLT it down securely, if it doesn't have one drill a hole in the back to run power (lights & dehumidifier) & seal the new hole with fire rated caulk.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP you will wantat least a 14 gun safe. Basically a person could store 14 shotguns if they are stacked in like lumber. Rifles with scopes or an AR no way. 14 gun safe will have room for about 5 long guns on one side and shelves for handguns and amm on the other. The safe should fit into a closet or other non-descript place. Not a great fire rating. Try to position the safe where it will have drywall on two sides, make sure to bolt it through the floor. It wont be fort knox but it will slow down a thief and provide some protection.

Also consider a quality manual lock as opposed to the electronic lock. Twice now I have known people who could not get into their safe. At the very least make sure there is a keyed backup to the electronic lock.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I just picked up one of the sentinel 18 gun safes from Menards that are on sale. Turns out they are a closeout deal and will be on sale until they are gone. They are on sale for $279 from $599. These do have some sort of fireproof rating. They do have an electronic lock but has a manual keyd backup located behind the electric keypad incase it fails. I would say these are a great deal for the money.

Top Bottom