• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Smith & Wesson Sigma. They are damn good guns for what they are. (Glock knock-offs) My buddy has one and other than the heavy trigger its great. 100% reliable from what I've seen.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I'd agree with the Sigma. They're reliable but the trigger is pretty heavy. I've got one in a highnoon holster IWB and paid about 330 or so for it in a .40 caliber.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I didn;t read the whole thread but have read parts.

My suggestions for a "decent" gun around $300 are:

Ruger P series new or used, Sigmas (I don't HATE the triggers on the 2 I tried), Bersa 9mm or .380, Taurus 709, Keltec P-11, used J-frames, and lst but not least any TRUE Makarov (read Russian, E. German, or Bulgarian)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Get a Bersa Ultra Compact in 9 or 45. Local gun shops have them for around $350 and you can get them a bit cheaper online.

Or go with a good ole SW Sigma for around $350 with a $50 rebate.

Bersas are great reliable shooters and the UCs are good for concealed carry.

The Sigmas conceal well too. Their triggers suck but you can send them to SW for free and they'll do a trigger job which helps (for free).

What caliber do you want?

Good luck.

+1 on the Bersa. I have a 9UC and it has been flawless in the 500 or so rounds put through it so far. They are reliable, accurate and easy to carry. I've seen them for as low as $329 at the Indy1500. Plus, the lifetime warranty is a nice thing to have too. Another plus is the safety operates identically to the 1911. I carry both the 9UC and a 1911 at different times and the practice on drawing and flipping the safety on one applies to the other as well.

Last edited:

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I've shot one Sigma 9mm - it was a jamomatic. Maybe there design has been altered over the last few years. In this price range I would think a used revolver offers the best of reliability. Are you going to IWB carry? I forget how wide Sigmas are, but double stack semi are tough to IWB for some people.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Sigma is a decent gun to start with, plus you can send it back to S&W for a trigger job.

I recommend save a bit more and pick up a used Glock/XD/Ruger or something here in the classifieds.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Sigma is a decent gun to start with, plus you can send it back to S&W for a trigger job.

I recommend save a bit more and pick up a used Glock/XD/Ruger or something here in the classifieds.

Why buy a gun you have to send back? Why buy a used gun?
    Bersa 9 UC Pro for the win! :rockwoot:

:D

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    At the $300 mark, if you plan to CC, my vote goes for a Bersa 380 with DPX ammo (which will set you back about $35 more).

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I realize it's already been said but Taurus 709 is in that price range or slightly higher and it is a great concealed carry in 9mm caliber. Bersa makes great guns in that price range. Keltec 9 is there as well but I don't like the hard trigger pull. Taurus Millinnium is a great gun in that price range for concealed carry. Just my thoughts.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    my carry gun is a cz-82 9mm makarov. 12+1 rounds, polygonal rifiling,chrome plared bore. Ambi safety/mag detach. Czech military/police surplus. Can usually find around 225-275$ I paid 250 for mine and love it. Very reliable, affordable. And ammo is cheap. I have a ruger P95 9mm i carry sometime too, paid 385 for it. 3000k round without ONE problem. Fed everything, everytime. Hope this helped:ingo:

Top Bottom