• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So a friend of mine is constantly hammering me with questions about guns in his 'Anime' shows.

Deagle this, and P-90 that... So i went around looking for an aggregate source of all things to debunk his anime myths.

Now, for those of you who are a little more cultured, anime is the japanese cartoons with the big eyes and giant robots. That's oversimplification, but i feel it's readily accurate for the situation.

In this article:
    Weaboo Weaponry - Facepunch

The author debunks many 'Weeaboo' (say 'Anime') myths, and some even common misconceptions about firearms, like: Barrett isn't the *only* producer of the light fifty, one-man-gatling-guns are an extremely bad waste of ammo, and that a portable flamethrower is -in fact- dangerous.

Just something that gave me a laugh, and even though this may sound ignorant: taught me a few things.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dude... he watches cartoons.

Think that providing firearms facts are going to matter to someone who's life is wrapped up in anime?

Just keep telling him "The show you're watching is FICTION and cannot be trusted to have any factual information. Especially about firearms. The real world just doesn't operate this way."

-J-

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    See, i figure if i'm level headed about it and explain some of the mechanics to him, he might be dissuaded from the fictional stories and actually take up hobby gunsmithing or target practice or something.

But even sometimes *I* ask myself why we still hang out...

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Anime? Did someone say anime? Where is Disposable Heart when you need him to set the record straight about anime? :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    iwoht5.gif

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Theres nothing wrong with watching anime(I do from time to time) aslong as you realize that what you are watching is fiction and has no bearing on real life. Its when you start using it as an educational source that you need to get slapped up side the head.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Anime? Did someone say anime? Where is Disposable Heart when you need him to set the record straight about anime? :)

Tis I! Disposable Heart! :D

I always hated when I got back from living and working in Japan for a year and a half (I didn't do the military thing, so I actually lived in Japan, not Oki! :D I kid!). Folks would always ask me if I watched anime over there. I would say, not really, its actually for kids! Adults watching anime over there is like potheads watching Spongebob in this nation. yuck! I have a anime chick (various) for an avatar only as their cheerfulness is refreshing. There was (and is) only a few shows I watch, but I dont confide in them to have realism or similar (love Ghost in the Shell, Get Backers, some others). Do I watch them constantly? No. I have Skinimax to catch up on, I dont have time to watch cartoons... :D

As for anime nerds and guns, I dislike the concept. They love to gas on about how they have a friend who is in the "military" and gets to carry (insert COMPLETELY non-issue weapon here). I have a friend who is younger than I and likes anime. I purposefully avoid him in general (nasally suburbanite kid) but also the topic of guns because he thinks of me as a killjoy, as he tends to spout off about crap he learned from an anime show. :dunno: There is no actual cure for it either. Its like folks getting their gun info from the news, you can't convince them otherwise and if you try, you are a gun nut or a crazie.

I have yet to find any Hollywood, Bollywood or any fiction that has a 100% truthfulness in any firearms handling. The only advice I have it to let baby have his bottle: Its near impossible to teach them about guns properly as they have been innundated with a cartoon teaching them about the world. Heck, anime doesn't even portray an accurate image of Japan in general!

My :twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Nope, if they wanted to accurately portray Japan, they would have:
    Morose teenagers who cannot confide in their parents (never there, always working) who slit their wrists under horrible school pressure.
    Small hootered girls who dont dress as we see them in the animations.
    Lots of woods available inland or on Hokkaido (got a Range Rover stuck there on daytrip, FUN ON A BUN!).
    No robots, but occasional road stoppages due to SSDF convoys on exercise (nothing beats being late to work when you have a slow moving row of heavy tanks rolling by).
    FAR more guns on the street than expected (not many cops carry a gun, but if they do, they get attacked and have the gun stolen).
    ACTUAL gun ownership (gotta get a horrible permit that costs thousands a year, but you can get a gun).
    Anyone white and coming in other than Oki or Tokyo getting darn near strip searched as they are the ones that usually bring in Blow into Japan.
    Far less bicycles than expected.
    No one but reinactors sit on the floor anymore, there is furniture.
    Cops can't ticket you unless they actually get you pulled over (loved my old Lancer b/c it could move faster than the average Daihatsu police car).

Hope this helps! :D

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    There is nothing wrong with anime as long as you realize that it is fiction and always will be. I've seen quite a few anime shows/movies and some are definitely beyond a child's comprehension like Ghost in the Shell. There are some that children just shouldn't watch too like Gantz, Elfen Lied, etc. which have mature themes/content. There are two that are definitely good for adults and those are Ghost in the Shell and Jin-Roh (basically Little Red Riding hood, just more geared towards adults).

Some of those guns would be excellent, but like all other fictions, it's fake. And I never knew the a Deagle was made in Indy (at least according to that link it is).

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Learning about guns from Anime is third in the 'irritating mythology factories' list in my book:
    1. Hollywood
    2. Video Games
    3. Tv/anime

I do want a Mateba autorevolver someday though. Those are just awesome.

Last edited:

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    That's not a myth-factory. I find ammo fully loaded into magazines in otherwise-empty crates all the time.

And:
    Attaching a suppressor to a pistol makes it less mechanically accurate.
    TACTICAL OPERATORS carry the Desert Eagle all the time.
    After getting shot several times, you can just crouch in a corner for a few seconds and then you're good to go!
    When being shot at, jumping up and down repeatedly while returning fire increases your odds of survival.

A gold plated AK-47 would be cool though.
    Gonna take forever to get all those headshots in real life. :ar15:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I don't really thing Anime is specifcally worse than anything else made in hollywood be it tv or movies. That being said, there's no such thing as being too old to watch cartoons. I <3 Ice Age

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    A buddy of mine at work, showed me some Anime drawings his daughter did. They were done very well, but confirmed what I have always said about Anime. "That stuff looks like it's drawn by a 12 year old". I'm just saying....:D

Top Bottom