• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    The Republicans just seem weak instead of standing up for what’s right. I understand a Govt. shutdown could be catastrophic for our country financially but we need to put the brakes on now while we can with this spending. It’s just pawning off to the next guys who will do no better and just play the blame game. I feel bad for what my kids are inheriting…..

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Republicans who voted for the debt ceiling increase | Fox News

Is there really any difference between the two parties anymore? It's business as usual and taking the easy road for most of them. This country is so in debt that to do nothing now is criminal. W

Note that the first four names are the Republican leadership. Even with leadership support, only about 15% of the Rs voted for this BS. Way past time for Boehner and Cantor to go.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Well folks, who takes gas whenever they dig in and draw the line on this? As we well know, its the GOP, skillfully demonized by the left. Not that I like it, but that's how it goes. How many recall when Gingrich held the line against the criminal POTUS at the time.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    This isn't authorizing more spending, just agreeing to pay for what they've already authorized to spend. If ya don't wanna raise the debt ceiling, don't agree to overspend in the first place. Threatening to not raise the debt ceiling is entirely the wrong place to take a stand. At least that's my understanding.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The belief is that if they can keep from ticking off the masses (which the previous fights over the debt ceiling did do, whether we like it or not), Obamacare is going to win the Senate for the GOP. So they are not going to pick this fight. Besides it is a fight they would ultimately lose again. The masses are not happy when the government shuts down.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    When you suggest that they lack a backbone, you seem to indicate that they actually oppose big government... but just can't bring themselves to vote that way.

Maybe they are voting for their principles and lied to you about being on your side.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Ya gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em.
    Agreed. Obama's approval rating is slipping, putting the Republicans in the spotlight for another government shutdown could reverse that trend by once again demonizing them in the media. Gotta pick your fights. Debt battle now, or congressional seats later.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Even a short bluff would have been something. At least ACT like your not happy and oppose it taking the opportunity to state a need for a change. There only good at lying to us but not each other? I think it projects weakness even if they never intended to let it get to the shutdown they should have stood up a little.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Collective opinion of the dc law/lobby corp must have been to go ahead and raise the limit, they make all the important decisions now, you're just along for the ride.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The belief is that if they can keep from ticking off the masses (which the previous fights over the debt ceiling did do, whether we like it or not), Obamacare is going to win the Senate for the GOP. So they are not going to pick this fight. Besides it is a fight they would ultimately lose again. The masses are not happy when the government shuts down.

Unfortunately, this is just the way it is.

I don't like it. I was all for shutting it down last time but the R's just do not have command of the narrative and they get all the blame even though the other party refused to budge.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    It's called The Big Picture. Those of you saying they should have made a big issue and risked shutdown/default are saying that you want action, but what you are really pushing is exactly the opposite.

Making a big stand now would be ultimately futile. It would fail, the limit will go up eventually, and the GOP will get the blame and hit in the polls. They'll be hit in the next election when they have a shot to reclaim the Senate. So they would go through it just for theatrics, and in reality there would be no real action.

Real action starts when/if they retake control of the Senate. Then they actually have power. Sometimes you have to use a tactical retreat or two on the way to winning the war.

Now if the GOP retakes the Senate and does nothing, and especially if they retake the White House and do nothing to follow through on real action, I'll change my tune on them. :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's called The Big Picture. Those of you saying they should have made a big issue and risked shutdown/default are saying that you want action, but what you are really pushing is exactly the opposite.

Making a big stand now would be ultimately futile. It would fail, the limit will go up eventually, and the GOP will get the blame and hit in the polls. They'll be hit in the next election when they have a shot to reclaim the Senate. So they would go through it just for theatrics, and in reality there would be no real action.

Real action starts when/if they retake control of the Senate. Then they actually have power. Sometimes you have to use a tactical retreat or two on the way to winning the war.

Now if the GOP retakes the Senate and does nothing, and especially if they retake the White House and do nothing to follow through on real action, I'll change my tune on them. :)

That's the problem. There's always the next election to position for. There's always an excuse to take that tactical retreat and wait for a more favorable political climate. That's what sucks.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    That's the problem. There's always the next election to position for. There's always an excuse to take that tactical retreat and wait for a more favorable political climate. That's what sucks.

So the GOP is talking a big game about what needs to be done now...if they get the control and don't do anything real to address it, then we can can the whole lot. Given what we have, I'm willing to give them the chance.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    republicans dont want the negative media exposure and are riding it out until 2014 elections. They dont wanna make any fuss against their party since they know everyone hates obamacare, nsa, irs stuff, what really sucks about that is they will continue to give in and obama will write any executive order he wants during this time because he knows the republicans wont make a stink. Our gov't is truly disfunctional. The country burns while they remain elite. awesome

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So the GOP is talking a big game about what needs to be done now...if they get the control and don't do anything real to address it, then we can can the whole lot. Given what we have, I'm willing to give them the chance.

You must have been asleep during the Bush years.

Top Bottom