• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Why would they say something like that to the gun buying public? It's economic suicide.

That f***ing little snot said that to me as my hand was pulling my wallet out of the bag. Should have been an incident. In retrospect think I did the right thing by shutting up and moving on.
    It probably wasn't meant to be rude, but reflects a generational gap when it comes to civility and social graces.

Like having earbuds in while speaking to someone...younger people don't see that as a problem generally speaking. Same with being so "direct" "you looking or buying?" There are other ways to ask that same question more politely but the younger crowd kind of misses that difference. Something like that.

Not excusing them but I don't think it's malicious either. It's generational/cultural.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    ZX just today: Just flipping today at the Indy1500 I got pushed along like I was reading magazines at a newsstand instead of buying them at the ZX table.

Looking to buy a SIG M322, GEN Z behind table pointing it out, I looked it over and was pulling my f-ing wallet from my messenger bag when I got "Are you looking to buy or just looking" said in a snotty, condescending tone by GEN Z with ear buds in. Full Stop, put money away and wished him a nice day. Did not cause scene (perhaps I should have) but did not spend any money with ZX and don't think I will in the future. Still mad about it.
    That sounds like a great way for them to lose business. I’d call and talk to someone higher up about it. I haven’t been in one for a while but the goshen location was always nice to me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It probably wasn't meant to be rude, but reflects a generational gap when it comes to civility and social graces.

Like having earbuds in while speaking to someone...younger people don't see that as a problem generally speaking. Same with being so "direct" "you looking or buying?" There are other ways to ask that same question more politely but the younger crowd kind of misses that difference. Something like that.

Not excusing them but I don't think it's malicious either. It's generational/cultural.
    I can accept that explanation. Was still unacceptable.

Someone should talk to him.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Maybe my bs meter is getting calibrated finally, but the older I get the more liable I am to take my business elsewhere for infractions of civility like this. Very few businesses are the ONLY place to get whatever I'm looking for and I happily take my money and run when I encounter an attitude I don't approve of.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm not sure if they are site supporters, but Madison Outdoors has absolutely knocked it out of the park in terms of customer service and just overall friendly behavior every time I've been there.

Ol George turned his FFL back in sadly, still a great shop for ammo and accesories but no more guns. He was the only good one around IMO, Gold and Guns is super high on prices and the transfer fee is $50.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Ol George turned his FFL back in sadly, still a great shop for ammo and accesories but no more guns. He was the only good one around IMO, Gold and Guns is super high on prices and the transfer fee is $50.
    Yea. I still don't get why he did that. He always seemed to turn inventory over pretty quickly and never had anything collecting dust. If ya go to a place on mulberry Street downtown called the old goat firearms their transfers are $25 bucks

yotehunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Not Iraq
    You should of snapped back, looking to buy so I can stay safe from your dirt bag mother. Then he would of tan to the back and cried away the day.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Yea. I still don't get why he did that. He always seemed to turn inventory over pretty quickly and never had anything collecting dust. If ya go to a place on mulberry Street downtown called the old goat firearms their transfers are $25 bucks
    Good to know on downtown thanks, I hardly go down there lol.

I don't have a good answer on George, he said the AFT had become severe on business hour/days closed changes and the 4473 changes were not liked. He also said there was not enough $$$ in them to make it worthwhile, time will tell if enough people still come and purchase the ammo/accesories to offset the foot traffic drop. I think probably as he always has ammo and reloading supplies but I know it made me sad. Agreed on his stuff moving usually, probably a phased retirement plan or something.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    Every time I go to make a purchase at a LGS they act like they don't have time for me or are inconvenienced by my presence. I've found it much easier and cheaper to buy online and go in and fill out the paperwork. My LGS's have missed out on quite a lot of sales from myself alone.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Every time I go to make a purchase at a LGS they act like they don't have time for me or are inconvenienced by my presence. I've found it much easier and cheaper to buy online and go in and fill out the paperwork. My LGS's have missed out on quite a lot of sales from myself alone.
    What retailers of any kind do you go to that act like they have time for you and they are thrilled you are there? Sadly, this is an overall society problem not a just a LGS problem. I do have concerns with gun buyers choosing the internet in large enough numbers that put the LGS’s out of business.

Seems to me the sentiment in the post is a self fulfilling prophecy, if all the guns sold on the internet were instead sold locally how many more stores would be needed to run the volume? Is the fact that internet retailers have such low overhead, and therefore pricing, forcing the LGS to reduce the quality of service to remain competitive and thereby driving folks to the internet?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    What retailers of any kind do you go to that act like they have time for you and they are thrilled you are there? Sadly, this is an overall society problem not a just a LGS problem. I do have concerns with gun buyers choosing the internet in large enough numbers that put the LGS’s out of business.

Seems to me the sentiment in the post is a self fulfilling prophecy, if all the guns sold on the internet were instead sold locally how many more stores would be needed to run the volume? Is the fact that internet retailers have such low overhead, and therefore pricing, forcing the LGS to reduce the quality of service to remain competitive and thereby driving folks to the internet?
    That’s solid logic.

Good, fast, cheap.
    Pick any two.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Another angle might be: an antiquated business model is being supplanted by a new one (not in all ways better) because they are not able/willing to adapt.

Imagine what would happen to car dealerships if we could buy cars directly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Another angle might be: an antiquated business model is being supplanted by a new one (not in all ways better) because they are not able/willing to adapt.
    So where are we as enthusiast’s when there is no one one out there to allow the consumer to touch the products? I know a lot of gun guys showrooming the LGS, they go there waste an hour of the shops time, then go buy the gun online, then want to do the FFL transfer there cheap.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So where are we as enthusiast’s when there is no one one out there to allow the consumer to touch the products? I know a lot of gun guys showrooming the LGS, they go there waste an hour of the shops time, then go buy the gun online, then want to do the FFL transfer there cheap.
    One thing’s for sure—the market will sort it out. I wish I were smart enough to come up with an idea to capitalize on it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Imagine what would happen to car dealerships if we could buy cars directly.
    It would be exciting to have door to door car salesmen again. LOL. (They really did have them before dealership laws.).

This falls under be careful what you wish for. No competition on all the manufacturers products? Who acts as FFL to do paperwork, prep and deliver the product? Who services it?

A good independent dealer is a big help in warranty matters, are we ready to give that up and be on our own? As much as folks like buying a car from a dealer they will love negotiating warranty repairs directly from the manufacturer.

An interesting thought to me; we complain about a lot of things that have been in place 70-100 years because of little things we don’t like, but we don’t seem to have much understanding what our grandfather’s generation dealt with that caused them to put these in place in the first place.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    You're in NWI. It's a bit of a drive but head to or call Top Shot Armory in South Bend. I've had excellent customer service every time I've been there.
    I have to agree, however I recommend going on the weekends. Have personally seen a weekday employee make fun of a newbie customer. The employees on the weekend however are very knowledgeable and friendly. The owner mostly only comes in on the weekends as well.

Andy NWI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Hebron
    I used to spend a lot of time at local shops before Covid. Most of them have recovered from the pandemic, but some still have a hard time keeping good employees and keeping the shelves stocked. I believe Coivd still has lingering impacts to this day

Top Bottom