• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    A common nuisance. A destructive digging varmint. A plague if you will to my inner being. The two of us we are like David and Goliath.:D:xmad:
    Eyes like an eagle hunting for prey. He is able to escape death :dunno: by running like, a pig? A tree climbing pig too. If anybody says they cant climb trees, tell them they are wrong. I've seen em with both my eyes go 70' up a tree. Better known as the the Ground Hog. I like to try and snare the little bastards. They are not easily snared. They commonly slip the noose. I go round and round with them setting the snare several times before catching them. If they climb a tree of course their easy pickins. They usually wont do that unless they are being chased with the almighty 2 x 4 which I've also done. Ever try to sneak up on them? They run like a bat outta hell. I've tried, I know. The other day I out smarted one I'd been after for a week. I tricked him with some apples and a live trap. He got lead poisoning. We should start a official ground hog thread. Show us your Whistle Pigs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Marmota Monax

I used to use 1.5 coils. Works well.

After turkey season I'll send some 70 gr Nosler BT's into a few, if I can find them. My old chuck spots got houses built around them, or sold.........or the coyotes have hammered my other places. Not worth the gas to even try, or hasn't been the last few yrs anyway.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    My neighbors got one Isee all the time.Tears his stuff up something awful.He aint smart enough to get him. He hates guns.Thats why I wont help him out a real idiot.

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    Time to kill the Pigs. I have a bunch in the RR Tracks on next to a farm field. Have shot several last year with my .17. Love to see them fall.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You guys shoot groundhogs? The furry cute groundhogs I'm thinking of? Why would you people even consider that?

^^^ The above came from a guy driving a Prius who was bird watching while we were waiting on the elusive little critters. The bird watcher couldnt figure out why we got so mad....I mean he was only watching birds!! Why should we care he was tresspassing?

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Bout hit one on 252 coming back from Franklin this afternoon. That farm with the big barn and a crane is where I saw it. It was a whopper too.
    And they do climb trees.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The last one I shot was from my kitchen window with my .22 revolver. Next in line for a groundhog is my .308. Kinda wonder if it will be like a prairie dog with a .223.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I used to spend a lot of time bowhunting them. Great practice for bowhunting big game. If you can stalk a groundhog and kill it with a bow, you can do the same with a deer. Since the coyotes have come on in Southern Indiana, I seldom see a groundhog outside of the city limits. I wish we still had a few to hunt.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The last one I shot was from my kitchen window with my .22 revolver. Next in line for a groundhog is my .308. Kinda wonder if it will be like a prairie dog with a .223.

.308 will turn them into world class gymnasts. Hit 'em low to the ground when they stand up tall, and they will do flips. I have moved from .223 to .243 to .308. I don't wanna just kill 'em, I wanna send a message to there peeps. Currently fattening one up about 150 yards from the back door to test out the .458 SOCOM.

The population growth of coyotes in my area has really thinned the herd. My family's farm has about a mile of ditch bank. Back in the good old days, you could walk it one way and kill 5 or 6 and get another 5 or 6 on the way back. Grandpa payed us a dollar a piece for them. Nothin like driving a 10 ton tractor along the ditch and having the front tire collapse into a burrow.

+1 on the good eatin. Like a big rabbit only they have fat. Fit perfectly on a grill-style rotisserie. Yum.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I smoked on the other day. gsg 1911 25 yards or so.

b925cad6.jpg

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Here is the one I nailed last year with my Savage .223. Layed down in the the back of my durango with the hatch open. He never saw it coming.

picture.php

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you know where they burrow, the conibear trap is a great way to get rid of them. Just need to make sure you buy the right size.

Of course, shooting stuff is always more fun than trapping it.

Top Bottom