• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'll try to post a pic if I can get a clear one. But during the size/ deprime stage, about one in 5 to seven rounds, only the bottom of the primer comes out and the walls are left in the primer pocket. This make the brass worthless without additional work. (And I'm not really sure how to get the primer remnant out of there). Anybody ever run across this? What causes it? How does one prevent it? Tricks / tips on getting what's left of the primer out of the pocket?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Are these possibly military brass? Is the primer pocket crimped slightly?

Notice the "ring" around the primer pocket.
    SuperSwage-3.jpg

1087igg.jpg

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Ah ha! Thanks FishersJohn! That seems to be the problem. That sure wastes a lot of primers. I'll have to screen the brass I buy more thoroughly before I try to use it. I had no idea such a crimp existed. I have not reloaded in a LOOOONG time and just started again yesterday, with a new setup.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Ah ha! Thanks FishersJohn! That seems to be the problem. That sure wastes a lot of primers. I'll have to screen the brass I buy more thoroughly before I try to use it. I had no idea such a crimp existed. I have not reloaded in a LOOOONG time and just started again yesterday, with a new setup.

Swaging the primer pocket works fine. Or if you don't want the military brass, I'll gladly pay postage.:)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    It also happens with non-crimped brass.

I have a handful of .40 S&W brass with a primer wall remnant left in them. I might try an easy-out or flat ground nail punch to remove them. Of course, since it is just a handfiul I might just toss them. For a few pieces of brass it is probably not worth the effort except as an exercise in "can it be done".

Gpruitt54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Illinois
    I just sold my Lee Classic Turret press. I used the Class for about a year and I have never seen anything like this. I now use a Lee Loadmaster. I am no longer using the combination de-capping/resizing die. I am using and asking if you have considered using a Lee Universal de-capping die in station #1 and a resizing die in station #2. These dies are very inexpensive, about 11.00 at Cabela's. It might be a solution.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Decap before you clean the brass..

One of the VERY FEW Lee tools I have is the Lee Universal de-capping die .

I use it in my old RockChucker to decap ALL brass BEFORE I clean in my tumbler. This keeps all the "Primer Crunchies" out of my Dillon RL550 during the load process. Some people will say that doing it this way will leave meida in the primer pocket, but I do not have that condition==Use small enough grit meida and that will not happen.

I do swage (Dillon Super Swage) military crimped brass. I do throw away brass that has had the old primer cup come apart. That little ring CAN be removed from the case, but chances of sticking your finger with a probe tool is high enough, that it is not worth it to me...Bill.

PS:http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=732277
    ^^^Another thread that addresses this issue.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had a few pieces of brass seperate the primers like that over the years, It was all foreign brass and I figured it was from junky primers. Since I never pay very much for 3rd world brass, I just throw them away. I figure my time is worth more than spending much time saving a 3 to 5 cent piece of brass. I do not remember ever seeing a failed primer cup on Domestic commercial brass. Good Luck

Top Bottom