• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Right out of the gate both my wife and I have undergone far more invasive background checks than the cursory checks done by dcs. We completed or Pre Service training over several months, provided verification of current First Aid, CPR and AED certification etc.

initially we were assigned a home study writer that was rabidly not only anti Trump, but a firm believer in no one should ever own a gun! Period and she also had a disdain for me personally due to my occupation. So we played the long game and gray rocked our responses to her until she told us when she came for the home visit she would need to see in our safes. which wile not thrilled about I was willing to concede and allow it , until she further stated she wou be recording all serial numbers and caliber’s etc. At this point we were like you have already missed two appointments in a row with us demonstrated a total disregard for our time etc. So We were like ok you won we will withdraw from becoming foster parents . We can help in other ways Never mind the 8K children foster care many who have no place to go and are sleeping in offices!

About a week later we get a text asking why we withdrew? My response was I draw the line at volunteering for an illegal gun registry and said we’re out. I will not compromise anymore. Well it seems that they do require seeing in side your safe however the initial writer was totally off the reservation in wanting to record serial numbers and calibers.

The new writer is coming out next week as we agreed to proceed( we really do want to help and a child should not suffer because of the actions of a liberal anti A hole) so part of me must want to leave our papers in the safe with the door wide open and no Firearms.

thoughts?

shadowguy219

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    US
    As a former foster parent, I feel your pain on so many levels. However, being dishonest about what may or may not be in a safe might not end well. I don't know about any legal recourse, but foster parenting would probably end right away if they found out some items were "misplaced" when they inspected. They also will ask about it every time they do a recert. That's at least annually.

I've got tons of respect for anyone willing to go through the process of becoming certified. However, as it sounds like you may know, you've got other ways you can jump in and help.

Best luck in whatever route you decide to take.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I have close family that has worked/volunteered with disadvantaged kids. She decided she would like to be a foster parent. She was approved and currently supports a brother and sister. When I last spoke with her, she stated she would never do it again. She described quite a few aspects that burdened the foster parent but didn't necessarily benefit the children.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Middle ground. Make the safe contents "reasonable" to a fudd. Half full, and only steel and wood. Nothing black and scary. That is if you havent already disclosed a number.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    As a former foster parent, I feel your pain on so many levels. However, being dishonest about what may or may not be in a safe might not end well. I don't know about any legal recourse, but foster parenting would probably end right away if they found out some items were "misplaced" when they inspected. They also will ask about it every time they do a recert. That's at least annually.

I've got tons of respect for anyone willing to go through the process of becoming certified. However, as it sounds like you may know, you've got other ways you can jump in and help.

Best luck in whatever route you decide to take.
    In Tennessee it’s a one time process . Although you are required to do 8 hours of continuing education.

i did send a text to my contact at dcs , she is a conservative in a sea of liberals, and asked her what If safe is empty? Her response was ok

Apparently DCS does not have access to NPI

I was shocked to see how shallow their background searches were, which explains a lot

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It always amazes me hearing the stories about dealing with DCS from the mouths of good people yet in my life I've encountered several instances where a low life couple earned their living fostering children and not a one of them was in what I would have considered a healthy environment.

We probably just need more government involvement to straighten it out.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Right out of the gate both my wife and I have undergone far more invasive background checks than the cursory checks done by dcs. We completed or Pre Service training over several months, provided verification of current First Aid, CPR and AED certification etc.

initially we were assigned a home study writer that was rabidly not only anti Trump, but a firm believer in no one should ever own a gun! Period and she also had a disdain for me personally due to my occupation. So we played the long game and gray rocked our responses to her until she told us when she came for the home visit she would need to see in our safes. which wile not thrilled about I was willing to concede and allow it , until she further stated she wou be recording all serial numbers and caliber’s etc. At this point we were like you have already missed two appointments in a row with us demonstrated a total disregard for our time etc. So We were like ok you won we will withdraw from becoming foster parents . We can help in other ways Never mind the 8K children foster care many who have no place to go and are sleeping in offices!

About a week later we get a text asking why we withdrew? My response was I draw the line at volunteering for an illegal gun registry and said we’re out. I will not compromise anymore. Well it seems that they do require seeing in side your safe however the initial writer was totally off the reservation in wanting to record serial numbers and calibers.

The new writer is coming out next week as we agreed to proceed( we really do want to help and a child should not suffer because of the actions of a liberal anti A hole) so part of me must want to leave our papers in the safe with the door wide open and no Firearms.

thoughts?
    Press to have the first writer removed from the payroll or expose the department’s willingness to circumvent the law.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    In Tennessee it’s a one time process . Although you are required to do 8 hours of continuing education.

i did send a text to my contact at dcs , she is a conservative in a sea of liberals, and asked her what If safe is empty? Her response was ok

Apparently DCS does not have access to NPI

I was shocked to see how shallow their background searches were, which explains a lot
    35 years ago my wife and I considered fostering. Spoke to a case worker and she started to describe what we would be required to do. I politely stopped her and informed her I would be willing to do any training, inspection, or auditing that they put the real parents through when placing a child back in the home of the parent, but nothing more. She said we would not be a good fit. I told her that her organization wasn’t a good fit for the children and we left.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And this is why there are kids sleeping in offices trough no fault of their own!
    The worst is the ones who did jump through all the hoops and got burned anyway. Seems like there's no way to do it without getting your heart broken because your kid got abruptly snatched back to their junkie mom or whatever. I don't know how any genuinely good person could put up with it for long.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    When I lived in Nashville, one of my brewing buddies and his wife went thru the same crap but trying to adopt. He was always complaining about the plain out ridiculous hoops they were forced to deal with and jump thru. When I was getting ready to move back here, they were going thru a foreign company and was in the process of adopting a little girl from India. IDK if there is a difference with fostering verses adoption. But I know they gave up on trying it thru our government. And I never heard if they got the girl.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A couple of decades ago I tried to volunteer at my local adult reading academy.
    Background checks to teach people to read?
    I didn't understand why, but was willing to go through ANOTHER background check.
    Then they told me that all volunteers must commit to a minimum of hours per week that they would volunteer.
    When I asked, it was like a minimum of 3 hours per day of volunteering, and a minimum of 20+ hours a week!

I wanted to help, but don't always have 20+ idle hours ( during most working hours mind you) per week.

I told them I wished them luck.
    They are still looking for volunteers, and have been since I told them they were nuts.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know a Kentucky couple, who are regular pot smokers. One is a manic depressive and has disappeared for days at a time. They have had several fosters and an adoption or two and have actually given back a child or two that they adopted because they couldn't deal with him/her. I guess Kentucky's laws are much less strict.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    leave our papers in the safe with the door wide open and no Firearms.

thoughts?

This! Since I was the one filing for a divorce, I knew owning a gun collection would come up in negotiations. I got rid of every single one & left the safe wide open.

It's been an adventure over the last ~5 years rebuilding my collection & I'm not quite back to where I was. It was totally worth it though. If that's what it takes to adopt & get some libtard DCS/CPS group off my back, I'd do it again.

Oh, put the firearms into a trust so "you" don't own any & can answer their questions truthfully. ;)

Top Bottom