• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am convinced that if they start letting people here carry, gun violence will drop SIGNIFICANTLY.

Of course it will. At a certain level, most every human endeavor is risk-averse, even high-risk endeavors. Banks won't lend money to people they don't think can pay it back (barring intervention from legislation written by Barney Frank), most people won't walk out in traffic no matter how bad they want to be on the other side, even Navy SEALs are risk-averse in that they practice and drill 24/7 or so it seems such as to see that the risk to the enemy is greater than it is for them. That said, violent hoodlums will find something else to do when they start getting knocked off by the people they meant to violate. The more occupational hazards are involved, the fewer people will be willing to do it, regardless of the moral or legal status of the occupation.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Of course it will. At a certain level, most every human endeavor is risk-averse, even high-risk endeavors. Banks won't lend money to people they don't think can pay it back (barring intervention from legislation written by Barney Frank), most people won't walk out in traffic no matter how bad they want to be on the other side, even Navy SEALs are risk-averse in that they practice and drill 24/7 or so it seems such as to see that the risk to the enemy is greater than it is for them. That said, violent hoodlums will find something else to do when they start getting knocked off by the people they meant to violate. The more occupational hazards are involved, the fewer people will be willing to do it, regardless of the moral or legal status of the occupation.
    Seems so simple doesn't it. Yet so many people can' t grasp the concept when it relates to firearms.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The interesting thing is I watched a documentary not long ago about how every part of the White House is reinforced. Bullet proof glass, reinforcements in the walls... I forget what they called it but needless to say you aren't getting small arms fire through any of the walls or windows.

That said - I've been to DC and walked along the road next to the White House - you can't see anything last I remember.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The interesting thing is I watched a documentary not long ago about how every part of the White House is reinforced. Bullet proof glass, reinforcements in the walls... I forget what they called it but needless to say you aren't getting small arms fire through any of the walls or windows.

That said - I've been to DC and walked along the road next to the White House - you can't see anything last I remember.

Why would you need to? It's not like you can get a tour of it without going through your Congress-critter and submitting a request between 6mos and 21 days in advance.... It's not like you can have a camera or use your cell phone there without it being confiscated by Secret Service. Hell... for a while, you couldn't even do that.

Sad to think we used to call it "the People's House" SMH

Blessings,
    Bill

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yep, I go to DC way too much. The fam will not accompany me anymore because it is just too much of a hassle.

Last time they went to the Wash. Monument the Silverback running the TSA 'process' yelled at everyone who was let through by the Park Service, "All ya'all get up agin the wall! Putcher bags on the flo an come for'd un at a time!" It was such an unpleasant experience they now feel denied access to our nations history.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yep, I go to DC way too much. The fam will not accompany me anymore because it is just too much of a hassle.

Last time they went to the Wash. Monument the Silverback running the TSA 'process' yelled at everyone who was let through by the Park Service, "All ya'all get up agin the wall! Putcher bags on the flo an come for'd un at a time!" It was such an unpleasant experience they now feel denied access to our nations history.
    REALLY! The last time I was in DC my wife and I walked all over the mall at 5 in the morning. I don't remember any security at all. Of course that was 32 years ago.

I remember hearing stories about the Soviet Union being like that when I was a kid and later in the army. That was even further back.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It is almost like ancient Rome when Tacitus wrote about the time of Cicero (IIRC) "we remember a time when we had a republic and the citizens were free" (paraphrased no doubt but the meaning remains the same).

I remember a DC when it seemed the citizens were actually welcomed, no longer. Now the citizens are looked down on.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I hope this does not backlash. I have some concern that it would take just one wacko that legally had a firearm and used it to harm a congressman or senator, to turn the voting tide and bring about a flurry of gun control laws.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The press is just waiting to jump on that one. I'm sure the stories are already written. They won't wait to find out that the perp was either a criminal or a liberal they will immediately blame the NRA and every other law abiding citizen.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The press is just waiting to jump on that one. I'm sure the stories are already written. They won't wait to find out that the perp was either a criminal or a liberal they will immediately blame the NRA and every other law abiding citizen.

And the Tea Party. Don't forget the Tea Party. They've been praying for that one for years.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I hope this does not backlash. I have some concern that it would take just one wacko that legally had a firearm and used it to harm a congressman or senator, to turn the voting tide and bring about a flurry of gun control laws.

When Texas first started, there was a traffic incident. And someone was shot.
    The news of course failed to mention the gun carrier shot the other person because....... the other person was trying to kill him. Tire iron or baseball bat.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Carp32
    Top Bottom