• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The DC 3 is beautiful but looking at one brings back memories of the tragic crash that killed the entire University of Evansville basketball team, coaches and long time media people on December 13, '77. I believe they ruled the cause as being the crew forgot to remove clips that held the flaps rigid so they wouldn't be damaged by wind on the ground. Take off with them not deployed doomed the ship and they couldn't get the lift they needed at take off speed. As they were coming around to attempt an emergency landing they fell short into wooded ravine. Sorry to rain on an otherwise great thread.

Not to take away from the tragedy, but that's not the DC-3's fault. Sounds like you should have at least the same reaction from seeing a wooded ravine.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    coolest DC-3 I ever saw was one on floats in Anchorage about 20 years ago.

You mean this one?

float.jpg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The DC 3 is beautiful but looking at one brings back memories of the tragic crash that killed the entire University of Evansville basketball team, coaches and long time media people on December 13, '77. I believe they ruled the cause as being the crew forgot to remove clips that held the flaps rigid so they wouldn't be damaged by wind on the ground. Take off with them not deployed doomed the ship and they couldn't get the lift they needed at take off speed. As they were coming around to attempt an emergency landing they fell short into wooded ravine. Sorry to rain on an otherwise great thread.
    Such a tragic thing. I was one of the first cars there. I had a good friend that had worked with previously. It was a new coach after Arad Macheon (spelling wrong) had retired. They had won several Division II championships. Jerry Sloan played ball there and went on to the NBA and eventually to coach at Utah. Very correct about the clips. They were still on the plane. I can remember the night because of the very cool fog and lack of visibility.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Not to take away from the tragedy, but that's not the DC-3's fault. Sounds like you should have at least the same reaction from seeing a wooded ravine.

Yes nothing taken away from the plane itself. It has served our country and several others very well. My deceased father-in-law made numerous jumps from them including Normandy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A ride, maybe even co pilot seat time in a DC-3, (even a 2A) or any military variants, has long been on my list of things to do before I die. I have been in touch will a couple of people, but was never able to put the connections together. Since I am in cardiac rehab and looking at another surgery, I better hurry and get my plans together.
    I was able to buy seat time in a 13b Stearman Bi-Plane in August of 2010. That old plane was such a joy. The old cable joystick felt so natural as those big wings let the bird just float with no labor from the smooth running 220 HP radial. I had no idea an open cockpit plane could be so peaceful. I wanted to fly a bi-plane since I was 8 years old. The DC 3 came into romance in when I was about 16.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was able to buy seat time in a 13b Stearman Bi-Plane in August of 2010. That old plane was such a joy. The old cable joystick felt so natural as those big wings let the bird just float with no labor from the smooth running 220 HP radial. I had no idea an open cockpit plane could be so peaceful. I wanted to fly a bi-plane since I was 8 years old. The DC 3 came into romance in when I was about 16.

I got to fly an old Waco bi-plane years ago and can confirm this. It was a pleasure to fly and not anywhere near as windy as I expected.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Old planes

I was lucky enough to ride in DC-3s & DC-7s of Lake Central Airlines back and forth to Chicago in 1965. Take-offs and landings were interesting in the "little" tail-dragger to say nothing of thunderstorms!

There was a TV show a while back about some guys who restored a Connie. Very cool!

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    My wife and I got to fly , yes fly , the Smithsonian DC3 Dougie around lake Taho during the Reno Air races a few years ago. It was cool as heck . We were there as guest with RR . Felt like big shots for a day or two

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    A few years ago, a DC 3 was based at the DeKalb Co. In. airport. A warehousing company used it to haul freight to various factories. DeKalb has a 5000' runway, 100' wide. When that plane would land at night, you would swear that the runway wasn't big enough. They also have a very distinct sound to their engines.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A few years ago, a DC 3 was based at the DeKalb Co. In. airport. A warehousing company used it to haul freight to various factories. DeKalb has a 5000' runway, 100' wide. When that plane would land at night, you would swear that the runway wasn't big enough. They also have a very distinct sound to their engines.

IIRC, the take-off ground run for a DC3 is only about 1500 ft in still air, and the landing distance (over 50-ft obstacle at sea level) is only around 2100 feet. Stall speed is like, what, 70 kt IAS? Seems like a 5000' runway is PLENTY long enough under normal conditions.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    IIRC, the take-off ground run for a DC3 is only about 1500 ft in still air, and the landing distance (over 50-ft obstacle at sea level) is only around 2100 feet. Stall speed is like, what, 70 kt IAS? Seems like a 5000' runway is PLENTY long enough under normal conditions.

I should have said wide enough. Yes, 5000' is plenty long providing it has brakes.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    My Favorites. I really wish I could fly but I have bad vision and I wouldnt wanna fly commercial planes. I Flew 2 planes in young eagles many years ago and I miss that feeling

181045.jpg

1399841421_f82e0085b3.jpg

b25d.jpg

Top Bottom