• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Douglas DC-3 is a beautiful aircraft. There. I said it.

vhtczt.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I find nothing to disagree with. They were a great plane and a real workhorse, that could go darned near anyplace on the planet. That's why they were still fairly common in the 3rd world up through the 70's. Would have been cool to fly in them during their heyday. Only thing cooler would have been to fly in the old Pan Am Clippers.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Catalina Airlines or something like that still flies them. They operate out of Long Beach and fly out to Catalina Island. I don't recall how often they make the run but it's pretty cool to see them sitting there when I am working out there.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    One of the missionaries my church supports still uses DC-3/C-47. I believe he has 4 of them. Two of them have been retrofitted with turboprop engines. The other two still use the original radial engines. He flies into Haiti and other points in the Caribbean bringing supplies for other missionaries. When the earthquake struck Haiti, he was one of the first planes in bringing relief supplies. He said all four of his planes were actually C-47's. I believe he said they were manufactured in 1944 and 1945.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The DC 3 is beautiful but looking at one brings back memories of the tragic crash that killed the entire University of Evansville basketball team, coaches and long time media people on December 13, '77. I believe they ruled the cause as being the crew forgot to remove clips that held the flaps rigid so they wouldn't be damaged by wind on the ground. Take off with them not deployed doomed the ship and they couldn't get the lift they needed at take off speed. As they were coming around to attempt an emergency landing they fell short into wooded ravine. Sorry to rain on an otherwise great thread.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I saw a 'Connie in Topeka I believe it was, at a museum at the airport. It was one of the earliest AWACS planes. It still had all of it's surveillance gear in it and they would let you crawl all over that thing. Way cool!! Loves me some of them radial engines!!!!

Top Bottom