• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Would you face prosecution in Indiana if you dammage someone else's property with one of your "warning shots" during a self defense situation?

The way the law is written make it sounds like you can't ve prosecuted if you shoot at your neighbor's car to scare off some would be attacker.
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    If ruled actual self defense, then you won't be prosecuted.

Though, a "warning shot" is more likely to be reckless endangerment than self defense, IMHO. Garages are not backstops.

Nothing will protect you from a civil suit.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Would you face prosecution in Indiana if you dammage someone else's property with one of your "warning shots" during a self defense situation?

The way the law is written make it sounds like you can't ve prosecuted if you shoot at your neighbor's car to scare off some would be attacker.
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Not sure, maybe you should ask T.Lex??

:laugh:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

While shooting the attacker may be reasonable, shooting something else, intentionally, may not be.

If you aim at the attacker and miss, that's one thing. If you intentionally shoot someone else's stuff, sure we can make an argument, but it's not clear-cut.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    While shooting the attacker may be reasonable, shooting something else, intentionally, may not be.

If you aim at the attacker and miss, that's one thing. If you intentionally shoot someone else's stuff, sure we can make an argument, but it's not clear-cut.

While not a believer in the "warning shot", I have just made the conscious mental note that if I EVER do fire a warning shot, it will NOT be called a warning shot in any statement.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    The issue arises when you call it a "warning shot", were you really in fear for your life? A lawyer could easily argue that you were not or you would have attempted to neutralize the threat.

foszoe is exactly correct. Regardless of your intent, never refer to it as a "warning shot".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe it's being driven by old Army guard duty protocol: Halt! Halt or I will shoot! (bang into the air) Halt or I will shoot you! (bang).

I always figured I would switch the order of those and fire the second round into the air...could still yell directions in the same order.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't think we will ever resolve the question of whether or not "warning shots" are appropriate under some circumstances. It seemed to work for this lady, except she now has bullet holes in her garage.

Dayton woman fires ?warning shot? at man wearing clown mask | WDTN

No, that question is utterly and completely resolved. Warning shots are never appropriate. Either the use of deadly force is justified, or it is not. If it is not justified, then the "warning shot" is unlawful. If it IS justified, and you actually need to pull the trigger, the "warning shot" merely wastes ammunition and violates one or more of the four rules.

I'm wondering why the woman went outside of her house in the first place? Knowing that there are multiple people on multiple sides of your house, all of whom have more firepower than you (long guns vs. a revolver), going outside to confront one of them wouldn't be the first thing I would think of.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    No, that question is utterly and completely resolved. Warning shots are never appropriate. Either the use of deadly force is justified, or it is not. If it is not justified, then the "warning shot" is unlawful. If it IS justified, and you actually need to pull the trigger, the "warning shot" merely wastes ammunition and violates one or more of the four rules.

I'm wondering why the woman went outside of her house in the first place? Knowing that there are multiple people on multiple sides of your house, all of whom have more firepower than you (long guns vs. a revolver), going outside to confront one of them wouldn't be the first thing I would think of.[/QUOTE]

TV training. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the gun either belonged to her husband or someone else in the house, or if she bought it herself she didn't bother to learn anything about it or take a simple class. Bought the gun, now we're protected, I know how to work it, I've seen how it goes on TV.

Sadly, these types of gun owners outnumber those that actually practice & train.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dude.

You totally should've been here in 2011. ;)

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region

I'm wondering why the woman went outside of her house in the first place? Knowing that there are multiple people on multiple sides of your house, all of whom have more firepower than you (long guns vs. a revolver), going outside to confront one of them wouldn't be the first thing I would think of.

You just might find many good people who disagree with you. And that... by definition... means unresolved. You'll certainly rarely find one of your "unlawful" warning shots prosecuted unless there are other circumstances involved such as carelessness and injury to another.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe firing into the garage was a "safe direction".
    Wonder if there indeed was a bullet trap someplace in their (proper, not the Buick).
    Drive up to my bud's...........his garage door open, yup...........22lr bullet trap in the corner - stored.
    Has vehicles crammed in there.
    Not obvious, to non shooters..........but I thought it a bit iffy, having shooting stuff visible to others.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You just might find many good people who disagree with you. And that... by definition... means unresolved. You'll certainly rarely find one of your "unlawful" warning shots prosecuted unless there are other circumstances involved such as carelessness and injury to another.

That other people hold the wrong opinion does not mean that the question itself remains unresolved. Warning shots, by definition, are always wrong (in one way or another). Warning shots will either a) violate one or more of the Four Rules, b) violate criminal law, c) place one in civil jeopardy, or d) prove to be a tactical error.

As for people being arrested for firing warning shots allegedly being rare: that's debatable. It is a stupid, unnecessary risk to take.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    That other people hold the wrong opinion does not mean that the question itself remains unresolved. Warning shots, by definition, are always wrong (in one way or another). Warning shots will either a) violate one or more of the Four Rules, b) violate criminal law, c) place one in civil jeopardy, or d) prove to be a tactical error.

As for people being arrested for firing warning shots allegedly being rare: that's debatable. It is a stupid, unnecessary risk to take.

You do know that virtually every one of the cites listed at your google deal with the SAME case over and over again?

And simply declaring other people's opinion as "wrong" does not make a winning argument either.

The Four Rules are not and never have been the Gospel. And none of them apply to this particular situation either.

Shooting people generally violates criminal law but there are exceptions made for doing so when it is considered a reasonable act.

Shooting people generally puts one in civil jeopardy but there are exceptions made for doing so when it is considered a reasonable act.

Lots of actions prove after the fact to be a tactical error. Armchair quarterbacking is such a strenuous sport.

I am not generally in favor of warning shots. If I need to shoot I am generally opposed to any warning at all. Just shoot. But if someone chooses to do what they choose to do, and it WORKS for them, then I will give them the point.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You do know that virtually every one of the cites listed at your google deal with the SAME case over and over again?

Demonstrably untrue.

And simply declaring other people's opinion as "wrong" does not make a winning argument either.

And yet, I didn't merely make such a declaration. Pretending I did so doesn't make it true.

The Four Rules are not and never have been the Gospel. And none of them apply to this particular situation either.
    How do the Four Rules not apply to this situation? The Four Rules apply to *every* situation in which a firearm is handled, and especially when a firearm is discharged - specifically, the fourth rule. You are always responsible for the final location of the lead you send downrange.

Shooting people generally violates criminal law but there are exceptions made for doing so when it is considered a reasonable act.

The use of deadly force in self defense, including shooting an assailant, is explicitly allowed under relevant statutes. It is not an inherently criminal act. Justifiable homicide is called justifiable because it is justified statutorily.

Shooting people generally puts one in civil jeopardy but there are exceptions made for doing so when it is considered a reasonable act.

See above. It depends on the state. In many states, the statutes explicitly protect the victim from both criminal and civil jeopardy when using deadly force in self-defense.

Lots of actions prove after the fact to be a tactical error. Armchair quarterbacking is such a strenuous sport.

Declaring an inherently foolish action as such is not armchair quarterbacking.

I am not generally in favor of warning shots. If I need to shoot I am generally opposed to any warning at all. Just shoot. But if someone chooses to do what they choose to do, and it WORKS for them, then I will give them the point.

Better to be lucky than good, I guess?

Top Bottom