• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've never had a issue with the time change, my work start times varied on a day to day basis depending on where I was going that day.

As far as having to change the time on a clock, that is a non issue because I look at it this way, if people are going to biotch about something as simple as changing the time on some clocks, can you imagine how much they're going to biotch about something really important.

Karen on steroids comes to mind. :lmfao:
    Yet another reminder that the time/effort expended to change clocks is a straw man in this discussion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The whining here about changing clocks is just hilarious, like it is some big deal. It takes about 5 minutes to change mine. 5 five freaking minutes! LOL

Just because something is easy to do doesn't make it worth doing. What people are mostly saying here is that they don't see any benefit to change the clocks twice a year. So why do it? Besides. The only reason we need clocks anyway is because of schedules. And besides, didn't you hear? Schedules are racist.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I say it is your right to not change your clock. Refuse.

It is everyone else's right to change their clocks or not, so keep that in mind when you have to be somewhere at a specific time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

It is everyone else's right to change their clocks or not, so keep that in mind when you have to be somewhere at a specific time.
    That is exactly the problem. Once again the overwhelming majority if people get their soundest sleep at a time when this boneheaded horseshit demands them to be awake.

Regardless of how that little troll of a former governor wants it to be, humans are designed to operate according to local solar time. A 2 hour shift at the extreme end of the day has a deleterious effect on the wellbeing of most people.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Reminds me of an old joke.

I was riding in a car with a friend when he just blew through a red light, I yelled "you trying to kill us"?

He said nope, no big deal my brother does it all the time.

This happened a couple of more times then we come to a green light and he stops. I'm like what are you doing? He says, "my brother might be coming"...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That is exactly the problem. Once again the overwhelming majority if people get their soundest sleep at a time when this boneheaded horseshit demands them to be awake.

Regardless of how that little troll of a former governor wants it to be, humans are designed to operate according to local solar time. A 2 hour shift at the extreme end of the day has a deleterious effect on the wellbeing of most people.
    So when exactly should the time be set? When exactly is that "soundest sleep" period? Is it exactly the same for all people?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just because something is easy to do doesn't make it worth doing. What people are mostly saying here is that they don't see any benefit to change the clocks twice a year. So why do it? Besides. The only reason we need clocks anyway is because of schedules. And besides, didn't you hear? Schedules are racist.

What we have here is not a relative sample. We apparently have the largest group of anti DST I have ever seen. I think it stands to reason that those dissatisfied would want to voice that far more than most supporters would spend time telling how much they get out of it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So when exactly should the time be set? When exactly is that "soundest sleep" period? Is it exactly the same for all people?
    The closer clock time us to solar time the better. Year round CDT, one hour off from solar time worked well. EDT, two hours off not so much.

As I posted previously, 2:30 to 3:30AM local solar time is the time most people sleep most soundly. No, as with all things, it isn't universal but it is consistent enough to establish rigid military doctrine around it.

I still stand by my previously posted position regarding shoving a grandfather click up Mitch's ass.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The whining here about changing clocks is just hilarious, like it is some big deal. It takes about 5 minutes to change mine. 5 five freaking minutes! LOL
    the physical changing of the clocks isn't the issue. Getting our bodies and minds used to the change is the issue. There are tons of studies about this upsetting the circadian rhythm and putting more stress on us. maybe it doesn't bother everyone, but it does bother a large percentage of the population.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What we have here is not a relative sample. We apparently have the largest group of anti DST I have ever seen. I think it stands to reason that those dissatisfied would want to voice that far more than most supporters would spend time telling how much they get out of it.
    It shows that huge amount of our anti DST'rs never had business dealings with businesses in the state in a different time zone when the majority of the state was on the same time year round. It caused problems, both from logistical and operations standpoint with companies that did business over the entire state.

It was a nightmare on a daily basis dealing with the "region", Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany and Evansville areas.

Not only that, but it caused problems with shippers from out of state, and when you're getting 75-100+ trucks a day bringing in shipments. it was confusing as :poop: and a pain in the arse for my old beer distributor and any other type of distributor.

I just wish people would stop biotching about some of the simple things like changing a clock twice a year while our rights are being slowly eroded, but that is a different thread.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It shows that huge amount of our anti DST'rs never had business dealings with businesses in the state in a different time zone when the majority of the state was on the same time year round. It caused problems, both from logistical and operations standpoint with companies that did business over the entire state.

It was a nightmare on a daily basis dealing with the "region", Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany and Evansville areas.

Not only that, but it caused problems with shippers from out of state, and when you're getting 75-100+ trucks a day bringing in shipments. it was confusing as :poop: and a pain in the arse for my old beer distributor and any other type of distributor.

I just wish people would stop biotching about some of the simple things like changing a clock twice a year while our rights are being slowly eroded, but that is a different thread.
    My only edit to that is that rights are not being "slowly eroded" it is more like hydraulic mining...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think Mitch had the wrong idea. Of course schedules (which are racist BTW) work better when everyone knows what time you're on. But he should have encouraged the rest of the country to give up the nonsense.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As you said, the physical act of changing clocks takes maybe 5 minutes. The problem is the impact to Circadian rhythm, sleep cycle, and hour-shift in the sunlight cycle.
    And the fact that it is akin to masking, in that the claimed benefits, when studied closely, turn out to be non-existent

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If they ever do take DST away and or move us to CST my quality of life would truly be diminished. I genuinely use that hour or two of light to work and play. It would be missed greatly.

And f*** that you can do it in the morning. That is not an option for my work nor my play...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    the physical changing of the clocks isn't the issue. Getting our bodies and minds used to the change is the issue. There are tons of studies about this upsetting the circadian rhythm and putting more stress on us. maybe it doesn't bother everyone, but it does bother a large percentage of the population.
    Literally, more heart attacks and car crashes correlated to changing clocks, but NBD, right?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Everybody required to use cell phones as primary time reference (this will happen automatically when millennials take over)

In the dead of night that timing standard advances 39.452 seconds per night every night between the vernal equinox and the summer solstice. No changes from the summer solstice to the autumnal equinox. Then it recedes 39.542 seconds per night every night from the autumnal equinox until the winter solstice and then no changes until the vernal equinox and then repeats. The clocks slowly advance or recede that hour over the course of 3 months, and it is automatic

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If they ever do take DST away and or move us to CST my quality of life would truly be diminished. I genuinely use that hour or two of light to work and play. It would be missed greatly.

And f*** that you can do it in the morning. That is not an option for my work nor my play...
    So life just grinds to a halt for you from November to March? Can you at least admit that there are others for whom that extra light at night is of no use to them?

Top Bottom