• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    No personal experience with DD (other than a handguard I bought from them) but they are extremely well regarded. Definitely not inexpensive. I think that both Larry Vickers and James Yeager include DD in their 'short list' of preferred AR builders.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Handled many different models, shot a few. Fit and finish have always been very nice and good attention to detail.

They have several models that kind of float my boat that I wouldn't mind owning one day

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I think there's about 2000 threads covering this exact topic. Sure, DD makes a great rifle, but what's your budget? What's your experience / skill level with AR's? Why do you like DD? What's your intended use?

There is a very high probability you could accomplish all the same tasks you mean to with a rifle at half the price of a DD. This is one thing I love about the AR market, 90%+ if all AR's sold are almost solely based on brand name / recognition. Or what cool guy death dealing SF SOCOM Delta operator is currently using it. Don't get me wrong DD makes great rifles, and so do 30 other companies, but the top 10ish brand names are also charging you for their marketing!

If the price is good for you, go for it. You'll be happy with your rifle. If it's your first AR, go cheap, buy ammo with the $$ you saved and learn your rifle and how to shoot it well.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I think there's about 2000 threads covering this exact topic. Sure, DD makes a great rifle, but what's your budget? What's your experience / skill level with AR's? Why do you like DD? What's your intendedi use?

If the price is good for you, go for it. You'll be happy with your rifle. If it's your first AR, go cheap, buammo with the $$ you saved and learn your rifle and how to shoot it well.

I don't agree with 'cheap' as a good starting point. There is what. , 200$ difference between a **** AR and a colt 6720/6920, and if OP wanted to keep it, he'd have a better rifle to build on. If OP wanted to sell it, he'd still have something worthwhile on the market in a used colt, DD, BCM.

Ammo costs are the same and extras (sling, light, aimpoint) can move from rifle to rifle and still hold value.

Colt, DD, BCM aren't the cheapest, but they aren't that much more in the grand scheme of rifle ownership. Buy once cry once applies.

Edit: spelling errors due to phone

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I don't agree with 'cheap' as a good starting point. There is what. , 200$ difference between a **** AR and a colt 6720/6920, and if OP wanted to keep it, he'd have a better rifle to build on. If OP wanted to sell it, he'd still have something worthwhile on the market in a used colt, DD, BCM.

Ammo costs are the same and extras (sling, light, aimpoint) can move from rifle to rifle and still hold value.

Colt, DD, BCM aren't the cheapest, but they aren't that much more in the grand scheme of rifle ownership. Buy once cry once applies.

Edit: spelling errors due to phone

I meant "cheap" in the relative sense, but let's think about it. Aside from boutique brands no one has ever heard what is cheap really? A Stag? An Olympic Arms? I know guys that can outshoot most Noveske owners with a Stag. Most rifles on the market will outperform the shooter, plain and simple. If we're talking match shooting, maybe a different story, but are we with 98% of AR owners. Everyone says that "buy once, cry once" but my PSA builds shoot just as well as my $2000 LMT.

Most AR forging come from roughly 3 suppliers, then half the brand names out there even get machined at the same place. Most brand names do little more then a roll mark and safe/fire. All I'm saying is most people would be better off not going with a "top tier" rifle and getting proficient first. If the cost isn't prohibitive then sure, go for it. I just don't personaly think ALL the extra $$ is worth it every time. I've shot 20 different kinds of AR's and in the end, I decided they all shoot.... Like AR's.

I agree with you by the way and you made a good point right off the bat. What's the price difference between a Colt and a DD? Significant from what I've seen. Comparatively, a Colt is "cheap".

Last edited:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I .

I agree with you by the way and you made a good point right off the bat. What's the price difference between a Colt and a DD? Significant from what I've seen.

Yeah for sure. I would tend to think that a nice Colt at 1k or a BCM at 1200 is plenty of rifle for the money, and you'll get most of that back if you want to swap up. If DD costs more than that, significantly, then I agree - I was mostly talking about the oly and bushmasters for 700$ without sights on sale at like, dicks or cabelas.

If DD is really that much.... Yeah, I'd pass to. But ill Always pass on the cheap commercial stuff, on the point alone that it has no real value.

Good form, anyways. I've always wanted a LMT. Jealous.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Oh, and the standard LMT patrol carbine is like 1370$ I priced one the other day. I even think that's too much, when one compares. I'll just get their grip for 30$ and call it a day.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've never had anything but great rifles from dd. If it fits your budget, ignore the people who tell you that you should settle for something you don't want. Get the rifle you want. If you don't like it, it will be easy to sell.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm by no means the authority on the subject but their CHF barrel is marketed as having been made with "machine gun" and HEAVY use specifications. I can attest to the accuracy of them only by saying I've "patched" with my DD barrel upper at a KD Appleseed. Like 99.99% of AR owners, I haven't had the chance to test the "heavy use" aspect of it. So far I might as well bought a pencil barrel profile. Typical of most guys, though, I wanted one that would withstand WW3 even though it will likely never see more than a 2 day defensive rifle class every now and then.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    love my DDM4 V5LW, my first AR.

I could have bought a "cheap one", but saved enough money to send to ZX for a DD. it's a shooter right out of the box.

you can always build a cheap one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ^^^ Pretty much sums it up

That goes for anything really. You can start with a cheap Hi Point for a first gun then get a HK later. Savage Axis then a Cooper. No name $500 bubba built AR or a $1800 AR. $100 Bushnell or a $2000 Nightforce. $15 Gerber knife or a $800 Medford. Some people cringe if they have to spend $30 on a set of rings, some people only go LaRue or Seekins Precision which are over $100 per ring.

Not everyone wants to start cheap, a lot of people enjoy having a quality piece. Yes the others will work but it's not what you really want. Quality costs money, always have and always will, but the good thing about quality is that it retains it's value better.

Get what you want and enjoy

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Why start out on the lower end to become proficient, Only to sell at a loss later on. If you have the bucks to start out with a quality piece then do so and if you decide it's not for you, then you can sell that quality piece for close to what you paid for it. How do I know this you ask, because I done it backwards and lost a good amount of cash. I should have just bought the DD to begin with and heck, even a Colt would have been better than to start with a bushmaster.

DrWin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got a DDM4v5 a while back (not one of the new Cerakoted ones) and love it. It's a high-quality tool that has just the right feel. I liked that it had a CHF barrel and a good rail. It wasn't too expensive. Whatever you do end up with, make sure you also budget enough for some nice optics. It took a little while for the overall sticker shock to subside since I got an Aimpoint T-1 and BUIS at the same time as the AR. I don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    You won't go wrong with a DD rifle. They build a solid and accurate product. They aren't the cheapest on the market, but they hold their value well and are quality rifles.

Top Bottom