• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Fred and I were 17. We spent the fading days of summer before school started squirrel hunting. Fred's grandpa owned a farm with a large woods that backed up to the farm house. We asked his grandfather for permission to hunt his woods. He said, "Sure go right ahead. Just don't let grandma catch you. Grandma don't like huntin'."

With grandpa's permission, Fred and I parked the car on the road on the opposite side of the section from the farm house. We entered the woods from the back side via a hike through a cornfield. It didn't take long before one of us bagged what would be the first and only squirrel taken that day.

After the gun shot, we head the screen door slam and grandma's yell, "Someone's in the woods, I'm turning the dogs loose!" followed by frantic barking getting closer and closer. :eek: Fred and I grabbed our squirrel, high-tailed it over the fence, and ran as fast as we could to stay ahead of the dogs. I was trying to stay close to Fred, hoping that once the dogs recognized Fred I wouldn't be eaten. We made it to the car ahead of the dogs and got out of there.

The next weekend we were back at the farmhouse. Fred's Grandma excused herself from the porch to go get us all an iced-tea. Grandpa whispered, "Was that you fellas last weekend?" We all had a good chuckle but managed to pull it together before Fred's grandma got back. :lmfao:

As far as I know, Fred's grandma never knew the rest of the story. :alright:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was about 15, me and a friend had been fishing in the creek by my parents house, so as we are walking back to my house, we hear a very loud bzzzzzzz snap! Now, I've never heard bullets go by me before, but I'm 100% sure that's what it was, and it must have been a ways off, because we never heard a muzzle report! Scared us, we got low and booked it up the hill away from it!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Had a couple of closer than comfort rds fired in my direction ( shotguns with bird shot both times) but once found a large pit trap, about 3'x3' and about 3' deep lined with metal tipped punji type stakes. The person who dug it had done a poor job of concealing it. On private property that I had permission to be on, owner was an elderly gent who I am sure didn't make it.

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    walk softly

I entered a draw hunt on what used to be a old military ground's in Madison,IN (BIG OAK'S) We my hunting buddy and I went thru their safety meeting when we were informed that some of the area's we would have access to hunt were very near to the old bombing target area and we should use caution and do not attempt to touch or disturb any unexploded ordnance we find. The problem with this is when we walked into the wood's it was dark as midnight and walked along a deer trail. When we meet up for lunch we discovered we were walking on the unexploded ordnance. Kinda gave us a shock, we knew the possibility was there but not untill you see your walking right on top of them do you question what you will do to tag a deer. This was not one or two this was like twenty or thirty right down the trail we walked, not to mention all the other's spread thru out the surrounding area.:ugh:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sitting in the dark one opening day with my back against a tree. Heard movement behind me and turned to follow the sound. Snapped a twig when I did and got rewarded with 5 shots in my direction with 3 hitting the tree I was leaning against. When he kept racking and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber I got up yelling and walked over with my rifle pointed at him. His buddy ran up yelling "did you get it". They were both so drunk they had to help each other stand up. This was on state land.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Many years ago, I participated in a deer cull at a state park. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever again.....

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sitting in the dark one opening day with my back against a tree. Heard movement behind me and turned to follow the sound. Snapped a twig when I did and got rewarded with 5 shots in my direction with 3 hitting the tree I was leaning against. When he kept racking and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber I got up yelling and walked over with my rifle pointed at him. His buddy ran up yelling "did you get it". They were both so drunk they had to help each other stand up. This was on state land.

Holy frigging cow! Wow, was that dangerous! :noway:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I remember when I was much younger living in Los Angeles, CA at the time, my girlfriend and I were hiking in the mountain area. All of sudden we heard something behind us, it was a mountain lion. I told my girl not to panic, I just picked up a big piece of a rock with a lot of sharp edges on. I threw it as hard as I could and it hit the lion's face. After that, we watched it ran away from us. But I was scared to death facing it, my girl was more scared than I was. Later in the week, I read in the paper a female hiker was killed by a mountain lion at where we were. She was running at the time with a Walkman and headphone on. Obvious didn't hear the lion like we did.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I remember a field training exercise I was on at a training area near Mililani, Hawaii. It's just south of Schofield Barracks.

We were digging in a weapon system mounted on a tripod when we started receiving rifle fire from a ridge across the ravine in front of us. The rounds zipping around us and those impacting into the dirt berm we constructed sounded like .22's.

We decided to drop a leg of the tripod thus getting the weapon system below ground level. We then jumped into the holes we dug and waited until they finished firing. I think it was about 10 rounds fired at us. Nobody was hit, we called it in and that was it.

Probably locals expressing their displeasure at the military. Locals in Hawaii hate the military.

I was fired at on another occasion while in Hawaii during a police call (picking up trash). I had recently arrived on the island and was assigned to go on a police call just outside of post to pick up trash at a traffic circle.

We had traffic buzzing by us and it was hard to hear rounds coming in. I was the first to notice plumes of dirt being kicked up near us. I was a newby and didn't know what was going on. I pointed it out to one of the soldiers who had been there awhile. He took a look and shouted "run." There were 3 of us who took off sprinting towards the pickup truck, and dived into the back of the truck as the driver took off.

Once clear of the area I asked what just happened and was told it was locals shooting at us.

Top Bottom