• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    My cousin jumped down into a freshly dug dranage tile, while he attempted to build a dam in the running water he sank up to his waste in mud. We were young maybe 11 or 12, I pulled him out with a downed sapling tree nearby. Two hours late and two shoes missing we returned back home, my aunt was pissed! I didnt get beat for that one, but he sure did!!!!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    My friend and I were shot at more than 10 times by a man who I am absolutely 100% sure was aiming for us while hunting public land. There are some extremely bad people in this world, and they won't hesitate to kill you if it suits their cause or covers their tracks.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I was deer hunting with a friend and heard buzzzzzzzzthwackboom buzzzzzzzzzthwackboom.

Two other hunters were lobbing rounds at a deer, overshooting by a few hundred yards and impacting the trees around us. They had slowed down enough that they sounded like giant bumble bees slamming into trees around me and my partner. We got down and found a creekbed and got the hell out of there.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwoller
    Me in a tree stand with my bow pointed at a trespassing ATVer. They got the message.
    Was the trespasser armed or did they threaten you?

What difference does it make they were trespassing and fing up my hunt. I didn't pull back on them if that's what your concerned with.

Last edited:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwoller
    Me in a tree stand with my bow pointed at a trespassing ATVer. They got the message.
    Was the trespasser armed or did they threaten you?

What difference does it make they were trespassing and fing up my hunt. I didn't pull back on them if that's what your concerned with.

I wasn't judging you merely curious. I thought someone came on your land and when you asked them to leave they threatened you or something. I've had trespassers during hunting season. A stern get out and stay out usually works in my situations.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Never been deer hunting so my high school friend took me out one morning(we were both very young and dumb). About an hour into it, I got bored real quick. It was still dark enough to where you could only slightly make out shapes and not much more. I decided in all my wisdom to start walking back towards my friend. I heard him whisper sh** and then his shotgun rack. I hit the deck and screamed as loud as I could. Luckliy for me he had forgotten to load one in the chamber because he thought I was a deer and actually pulled the trigger.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    This happened this past archery season. I was hunting on some new property down in the northern part of Vigo County (Otter Creek Area). I made it a point to try and meet the other four neighbors that I knew hunted on adjacent property to mine to let them know that someones hunting there and to find out who all hunted the properties around me. Third week of archery I downed my second doe right before legal shooting light was over, she fell about 15 yards from where I shot her. After doing the dirty work and tagging her I had to go back to the truck ( about 200 yards away) to get the deer cart. By this time it was pretty much dark when I got back to the doe. I was just about done loading her up when someone from behind me on an adjacent ridgeline bout 60 yards away (neighbors property) hollard out "what the hell you doin!!!" and fired a round over my head. After hitting him with my Surefire 200 lumen light I carry as a backup to my headlamp if it goes out and a few choice words, the dude finally said he was a relative of one of the neighbors and was out yote hunting and thought I was a poacher. Evidently he didnt get the memo that someone new was hunting on the adjacent property to his. Needless to say after a few threats of calling the sherriff and DNR about him shooting at me and afteer calling the dudes relative (the adjacent property owner/neighbor) I now have the rights to 98 more acres of prime land adjacent to mine to hunt on for the next three seasons. Its amazing what the fear of getting the law called on them will do to get them outa trouble. I will say it did scare the everlovin &*^$ outa me being out there after dark with just a bow and knife and someone just shot at ya and you dont know for sure whats going to happen next. After that incident I never went back without my sidearm on me even during gun and muzzlelaoder season and I never have saw that "relative" again either. I think the neighbor told him he cant hunt there anymore.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My original thought was only civilian related, but I think we can all learn from dangerous human encounters by civilian, military and police in the woods.

It would be interesting reading about all 3 types.

OK I will give you one from my days in high school related to Police.

The first day of my junior year 3 of us decided to cut assembly. We did and on the way back to the school a cop on a motorcycle saw us turned on his lights and came after us. There is a stand of woods between the school and the major road. The cop chased us into the woods. Once we got into the woods we crouched down. We could see the just the very top of the cops helmet. It was really thick and although the cop could not have been more than 15 feet from us all we could see was the very top of his helmet. One of use pointed to the other two and made a motion to split up. Just as we started going our separate ways the cop fired one round. We never found out if he shot at us intentionally, or fired a warning shot in the air or why he shot at all. We all three meet at the railroad tracks that ran the opposite side of the high school campus. Made our way back to the school in silence.

Only when we were leaning against a wall out of breath did we start musing about what had happened. Holly blank they shoot you for cutting school now?, laughing and just glad to be in one piece but still wondering what had happened.

Then the dean of boys shows up out of nowhere and says yeah its getting dangerous. Takes us inside and tells us only that there had been an armed robbery in the area when we were outside the school. And that the cops were chasing us because he suspected us. The dean asked if we had anything to say. Not being the smartest tools in the shed we all had enough G2 to deny every seeing any cop officially.

That is my story of being chased down in the woods by a cop and being shot at.
    That was the first time anyone shot at me.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Hunting alone in federal lands in the Delaware Water Gap in Pa. Dropped a 6 pointer... field dressed it, tagged it (i tag through the tongue, no chance of losing it during the drag.) Two "good ole boys" walk up... "Looks like you found our deer." My rifle was on the ground next to me and i'm covered to the shoulders in blood... Wasn't much I could do. Stripped my gloves off, picked up my rifle, and left. Waited out at my car and flagged down DCNR and waited for them.. Sure enough about 20 mins after I got outta the woods, here comes "Bubba" and "Leroy" draggin my deer. The officer walked over... checked their tag, opened the deer's mouth and pulled my tag out. It was funny as hell to watch them turn white. They lost their guns AND their truck that day. I didn't have to drag my deer out either. I got my deer and drove home while they sat in the back of a cruiser staring daggers at me.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    two stories for you that happened to friends not me.

First in Indiana about 2 years ago, my friend was hunting his inlaws' property which has a small portion that is across the river. As he was walking along the river on the side of the main portion, he jumped approx 6 doe about 15 yards from where he was and before he knew it, he started hearing shots. He dropped right down to the ground and noticed it was coming from a guy acroos the river in a stand approx 15 yards from the river. After the shots stopped, he yelled over to the guy that he was tresspassing. Nothing came of it as my friend never found out who the guy was,

Another friend in Missouri was hunting on private land with a party of hunters, some of which he knew and some he did not. The land owner invited him personally. Opening day as he was standing near the top of a ridge, he started hearing shots, a lot of them and some hitting right around him or hearing them whiz by. He hit the ground and curled up under a log. Within 10 minutes, a guy comes running up to him, out of breathe, and asked if he saw a deer come by. The guy was using an ar style rifle. My friend said no and left immediately. It was apparent that the guy had been up most of the night drinking. How he thought my friendwas a deer as he was wearing his blaze orange. He did call his friend and told him what happened. My friend never hunted there again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Hunting alone in federal lands in the Delaware Water Gap in Pa. Dropped a 6 pointer... field dressed it, tagged it (i tag through the tongue, no chance of losing it during the drag.) Two "good ole boys" walk up... "Looks like you found our deer." My rifle was on the ground next to me and i'm covered to the shoulders in blood... Wasn't much I could do. Stripped my gloves off, picked up my rifle, and left. Waited out at my car and flagged down DCNR and waited for them.. Sure enough about 20 mins after I got outta the woods, here comes "Bubba" and "Leroy" draggin[g] my deer. The officer walked over... checked their tag, opened the deer's mouth and pulled my tag out. It was funny as hell to watch them turn white. They lost their guns AND their truck that day. I didn't have to drag my deer out either. I got my deer and drove home while they sat in the back of a cruiser staring daggers at me.

Pennsylvania, which is north of the Mason-Dixon line, is not the natural habitat of the southern Good Ol' Boy. I hope you did try some Pennsylvania Dutch food while you were there. On the other hand, I have no problem believing there are people from certain areas in the Commonwealth of PA who would act this way.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    neighbor hunts woods across the street. figured id be safe, nobody shoots across a road. he did, and hit a tree 10 feet away from me. thank god im like 20 in the air, but still. that was a bit to close for comfort. later i had a chat with him, and have never been shot towards again.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania, which is north of the Mason-Dixon line, is not the natural habitat of the southern Good Ol' Boy. I hope you did try some Pennsylvania Dutch food while you were there. On the other hand, I have no problem believing there are people from certain areas in the Commonwealth of PA who would act this way.

I'm actually from there. Moved to IN 5 years ago... and i'm about 25% PA Dutch.. (my grammy could cook like you wouldn't believe) Good ole boys do exist up there.. maybe not in the traditional sense, but yeah.. they're out there..

Top Bottom