Daisy Shatterblast targets- HoughMade approved!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A set of Daisy Shatterblast targets made into my younger son's Esater basket yesterday. In the afternoon, we tried them out with my trust Red Ryder (the one my dad bought me in 1982). These things are fun. They are clay target, around 2" in diameter.

If you hit them dead center, they'll shatter and fly apart very satisfyingly, throwing pieces up to around a foot into the air and 5 feet behind the target. If you hit an edge, it will chip off and you can try for a more centered hit. The disposable nature of them may put people off, but it costs between $6 and $7 for a refill box of 60, and that's actually a lot of shooting. You can put the larger pieces back into the holder and try to hit them again, so I'd estimate you can get about 75 to 90 hits out of a box of 60, reusing the larger pieces (though we only did about a dozen yesterday).

My son and I felt some irrational hubris and were trying to his them from 50+ feet (both sitting and "Creedmoor")...which with the Red Ryder's lack of rifling is optimistic, but we were doing pretty well closer to 25-30 feet which is more rational for a smooth bore.

We're going to see what we can do at distance with our rifled pellet guns on another day. My older son wants to use his bolt action .22 rifle with shorts on them. We'll see.

PY-A-244_shatterblaster_4stakes.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    A set of Daisy Shatterblast targets made into my younger son's Esater basket yesterday. In the afternoon, we tried them out with my trust Red Ryder (the one my dad bought me in 1982). These things are fun. They are clay target, around 2" in diameter.

If you hit them dead center, they'll shatter and fly apart very satisfyingly, throwing pieces up to around a foot into the air and 5 feet behind the target. If you hit an edge, it will chip off and you can try for a more centered hit. The disposable nature of them may put people off, but it costs between $6 and $7 for a refill box of 60, and that's actually a lot of shooting. You can put the larger pieces back into the holder and try to hit them again, so I'd estimate you can get about 75 to 90 hits out of a box of 60, reusing the larger pieces (though we only did about a dozen yesterday).

My son and I felt some irrational hubris and were trying to his them from 50+ feet (both sitting and "Creedmoor")...which with the Red Ryder's lack of rifling is optimistic, but we were doing pretty well closer to 25-30 feet which is more rational for a smooth bore.

We're going to see what we can do at distance with our rifled pellet guns on another day. My older son wants to use his bolt action .22 rifle with shorts on them. We'll see.

PY-A-244_shatterblaster_4stakes.jpg

My dad shot these as a kid, and taught me to do the same. We cut an 1/8" groove in a 2x4 to hold them. They are technically edible, but BB targets are a much more suitable use. They are a little over 1" in diameter, cost about $0.50 per roll.

necco.jpg

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Glad you guys had a good time! Something about family holidays and shooting just go together. Here's an idea I found:

[video=youtube;nGBrfpWc4oQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBrfpWc4oQ[/video]

This guy is a bit... odd in his delivery. But I picked up a spool of 16 gauge wire and a box of clay pigeons for ~10 bucks total. A pair of tin snips may run you $8-10 and a 1 time cost.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    We use these at the kids 4-H shoots with .22LR rifles. They take little clips and hold the Daisy Blast Clay Targets onto a piece of Cattle Rail Fencing (the fencing with the wide squares). Kids love it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Will a Red Ryder BB at 350 fps break a clay pigeon?
    In my experience it tends to just leave a hole rather than shatter them.

Rural King used to have very similar holders for full size clay pigeons. I've got a set and use it for .22 target shooting.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I like to take 1" flat washers and shoot through the center.

Its even more fun to throw them in the air and shoot through the center with our Ruger 22 Bearcat.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would take my boy out with cheap cookies, from the stale bread store. Cheap, bio degradeable and the birds love them. They might even fit in those holders you just bought. I like the neco wafer idea.

Top Bottom