Dad wants a new AR, something other than a 5.56.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which caliber for new AR build

• Total voters

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    My dad told me this morning he wants another AR, but something other than a .223/5.56 (we got enough of those as is). He pretty much gave me free reigns to use his money to build/buy an AR of my choice. My first thought was obviously 300blk, but then I started wondering what else I could do instead.

Now, in the very near future I will be getting a 7.62 suppressor (Huntertown Arms :stickpoke:). So the 300blk has a lot of appeal. But, I already have alot of .223/5.56 AR's and suppressor on the way for those. The good thing is obviously the availabilty of parts and compatabilty. But it doesnt seem like I would be gaining much by going to 300blk other than one more caliber to buy.

Im also thinking about gong .458 SOCOM. The plus side, I can use it for deer so it gives me a little more use out of it. However, theres not a whole lot of choices out there for it as far as parts availabilty and compatability. I also dont think I can suppress it, maybe, not sure what would work with it, and lately that seems to be kind of necessary for me.

So INGO, If you were to build an AR other than the norm, what would you go with and why? Oh, I cant do anything AR10 because he already has a lower, and I doubt ill be able to talk him into SBRing anything (although im gonna try).

ETA: He's also brought up his wants for 450 Bushmaster. But I dont think we can deer hunt with it, can we?

Thank you for your insight :ingo:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I guess I would want a pistol caliber that I could actually use it to hunt with. I'm not sure if they offer anything like that besides the 9mm, which is too small for deer season. But it is too hard to shoot a high powered rifle in Indiana.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    5.45x39 is what i'd build. Cheap surplus ammo at half the cost of 5.56. Cdnn has a upper for 500$ and ammoman has 2160rds of 5.45x39 for 319$ delivered.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    5.45x39 is what i'd build. Cheap surplus ammo at half the cost of 5.56. Cdnn has a upper for 500$ and ammoman has 2160rds of 5.45x39 for 319$ delivered.

I considered that, but I've heard mags are hard to find for them. I could run it by him though. I do like the low prices of the ammo though.

Just looked at .458 ammo, that stuff is expensive!:eek:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

Also, I have yet to ever figure out how to navigate cdnn's website. I always hear they have good stuff but I cant figure out to find anything on their site. How do you find browse for stuff on there?

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    check cdnn out they have c mags for 13$ish. The reviews look good all the way around for the 5.45x39. Youtube has a guy putting 2000rds through one with out a failure. Then he puts a drop of oil in the bolt and starts shooting again.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Just had one more idea that crossed that my mind. Ill ask him tomorrow and see what he thinks about going halves on a .50BMG upper. I've always wanted a .50.

I'm still open to more suggestions. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    If someone was going to choose between 50 Beowulf, .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM, which would you choose? Keeping deer hunting in mind, ammo availabilty/price, and possible suppression.

Every discussion I've found online turns into a reloading argument, and I dont reload... yet. So I'm not really concerned with the reloading aspect.

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I am considering this right now myself and I've come to the conclusion to go with .458 socom, the ballistics are not much different than 50 beowolf and .458 socom is more readily available locally to me then 50 beowolf.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I am considering this right now myself and I've come to the conclusion to go with .458 socom, the ballistics are not much different than 50 beowolf and .458 socom is more readily available locally to me then 50 beowolf.

I've been reading on this all night, and Im really leaning towards the .450 Bushmaster. Like I said earlier, I dont reload, and most of the .458 I've seen is WAAAY more expensive than .450. But Im still havent made my mind up yet.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I've been reading on this all night, and Im really leaning towards the .450 Bushmaster. Like I said earlier, I dont reload, and most of the .458 I've seen is WAAAY more expensive than .450. But Im still havent made my mind up yet.

True true, but .458 socom is legal for deer in Indiana, I'm not sure about 450 Bushmaster, I'll have to check into that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If someone was going to choose between 50 Beowulf, .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM, which would you choose? Keeping deer hunting in mind, ammo availabilty/price, and possible suppression.

Every discussion I've found online turns into a reloading argument, and I dont reload... yet. So I'm not really concerned with the reloading aspect.
    I had that choice, I picked the 458 Socom.

Lots of bullet choices for that round, from light to very heavy. On the other hand the 50 Beowulf and the 450 Bushmaster have far fewer bullet weight choices, styles, etc.

In any of those choices your best bets are to mail-order your ammo. Its cheaper that way and far more available. So I consider availability to be 'even' between those three. Some (rare) stores carry the 458 Socom, some (rare) stores carry the 450 Bushmaster. Fewer carry the 50 Beowulf.

Ammo for the 458 Socom does cost more, but its because of the bullet construction. You are getting rifle bullets instead of pistol bullets.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I believe the .450 Bushmaster fall in the LEGAL deer cartridges for this next deer season.

I builtan AR15 in 7.62x39, just for kicks. I know I can't use it to hunt deer in Indiana YET, but I CAN use it to take coyote. Besides that, I just plain like it!

Top Bottom