• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    My mother is the same way. A die-hard republican farmer's daughter who's never known a gun except what was to put food on the table as a child.

Meanwhile, I am the first person in my family in over two generations to voluntarily go war and serve. She had nothing to say to me when I got back home from Iraq and didn't even care to hear my stories or experiences.

The other night at dinner something about recent legislation talk came up, and she made a comment that no one needs 30rnd mags and assault weapons. It took all my strength not to explode on her and not make a scene in the restaurant.

I grew up with a VERY sheltered life and was in fact a flaming liberal prior to my stent over seas. I used to be very anti-big brother and never voted in my life. My stent over seas changed that.

People wont change until they see things for themselves. Degradation of society happens so slowly that people don't notice it. Until they come to some massive realization of truth they wont wake up and by then it will be too late.

My parents pray for me because I am an atheist with crazy ideas and I pray for them because they are naive. I have no faith in God or any government that does not impose term limits on all positions in office or has a standardized election process.

We have more laws in our country that protect the regulation of slot-machines than we do voting machines. And we allow the same corrupted officials to be voted back into office over and over by the money fed to them by big business. Being a politician should be a job, not a career.

Sorry for the soap-box.

My advice to you is this. Some people just can't change. For me, I love my parents and would do anything for them. It's not worth dividing my family over an ill-conceived notion they may have. You can't change them, but it will be up to you someday to decide if you want to use your AR15 to save them from whatever travesty may be brought to bare against them.

"Hind-sight is always 20/20." This phrase exists for a reason and it's because people will always choose not to see something for what it is. Just be thankful you're on the winning team for a change and remember that when the time comes it will be your humanity that will be tested when it's your choice to save those who lacked your vision.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My father passed away when I was 17, but you know what? I remember not being able to own even a cap gun, airsoft gun, or anything even with the word 'gun' in it growing up. My dad was extremely anti-gun in all senses of the term.

I can only wonder how he would feel now about the state of the United States and the 2nd Amendment.

I'm honestly not sure if he was so anti-gun simply due to me being a minor, or if he would still have those views today... No way of knowing.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Why not just allow him his point of view, accept that he sees some things differently than you, and move on? :dunno:

Would you want him to start filling your mailbox with anti-gun literature?

Different strokes for different folks.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    My dad is the exact opposite! He was a very liberal hippie type and has recently (last 10 years) jumped ship and loves guns! He came home with two new ARs last week!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ask him if he can keep an open mind while he reads the book,

"More Guns- Less Crime" by John Lott

It's widely available, and hard to dispute the facts as he presents them.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had the misfortune of growing up in Chicagostan and my Dad is still behind enemy lines. He considers himself a Conservative but thinks banning Ar-15's and gun registrations and the whole rest of the disarmament club are great ideas.

So here's where I need some help. He refuses to go on the internet and gets all his news from network TV so he doesn't think people ever defend themselves with guns or use rifles to defend themselves. He also thinks concealed carry folk are running around in the streets shooting folks.

So can you direct me to your favorite articles that I can print out and send to my Dad so he can see there is another side to this debate?

Thanks in advance!

He's likely not going to change.

You've expressed your opinion, and he's expressed his.

Just go on with your life and do what's right for you.

paulhager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I had the misfortune of growing up in Chicagostan and my Dad is still behind enemy lines. He considers himself a Conservative but thinks banning Ar-15's and gun registrations and the whole rest of the disarmament club are great ideas.

So here's where I need some help. He refuses to go on the internet and gets all his news from network TV so he doesn't think people ever defend themselves with guns or use rifles to defend themselves. He also thinks concealed carry folk are running around in the streets shooting folks.

So can you direct me to your favorite articles that I can print out and send to my Dad so he can see there is another side to this debate?

Thanks in advance!

You could start by sending him to my carry website from 12 years ago: Why I Carry.

The intro piece explains how my position evolved from gun prohibitionist to the 2nd Amendment absolutist I am today. When I was researching the 2nd Amendment and chairing a commission for the Indiana Civil Liberties Union, all of my sources were left-liberal. Effective enough that the ICLU tabled all discussion of the issue and let it die.

The other thing I'd recommend is to go to the data in the area of crime and criminology. You'll find some references on my main website and The Libertarian Corner. The data are compelling to a rational person.

paulhager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Ask him if he can keep an open mind while he reads the book,

"More Guns- Less Crime" by John Lott

It's widely available, and hard to dispute the facts as he presents them.

Better would be Gary Kleck's book from 20-odd years ago - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Point-Blank-Guns-Violence-America/dp/020230762X]Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America: Gary Kleck: 9780202307626: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]. Kleck is a liberal, affiliated with the ACLU. Fact is, in criminology, there is a substantial body of evidence that is widely accepted that prohibitionist gun control confers no societal benefit whatsoever. Moreover, there is very solid evidence that reducing guns directly increases the incidence of a variety of serious crimes.

I don't think Lott is as good a source because he's an economist, not a criminologist. I also had some methodological quibbles with some of his work.

Another good source is Clayton Cramer. I debated Clayton online over 20 years ago. He refuted a lot of my arguments and backed his up with solid data. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom