Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Watched a ton of those videos last night and took notes. I'm already having doubts about my Trijicon scope on my Noveske AR. It doesn't have turrets designed for constant adjustments and the reticle is pretty simplistic as well. That PST GenII 5-25x50 from EuroOptic is far better suited for precision work. And that rifle is the one I would use for long range work until I get into a larger caliber down the road.

This scope:
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/rs29-c-1900021

This reticle:

View attachment 123091

Open turrets are nice in the field and (I am guessing on this one) in a fluid competition environment but working from a bench at known distances? Ehh. Unscrew cap. Make adjustment.

Your reticle gives you 30 moa of holdover. That’ll work just fine for 223/556. A Christmas tree reticle might be more preferred but (aging eyes again) but I find a simpler reticle less distracting while struggling with a small distant target.

Maybe this, in part, is why I struggle with wind calls?

Your mileage WILL vary.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks:coffee:

I've been watching Ryan Cleckner videos off and on all day today. Man I am getting pumped. And honestly, I think I am going to take a "start from scratch" approach to rifle shooting. Get the basics down. Go from there. I know I have been messing something up along the way.

That is exactly where I am at too.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Open turrets are nice in the field and (I am guessing on this one) in a fluid competition environment but working from a bench at known distances? Ehh. Unscrew cap. Make adjustment.

Your reticle gives you 30 moa of holdover. That’ll work just fine for 223/556. A Christmas tree reticle might be more preferred but (aging eyes again) but I find a simpler reticle less distracting while struggling with a small distant target.

Maybe this, in part, is why I struggle with wind calls?

Your mileage WILL vary.
    I believe we are on the same page. I was thinking it would make sense for me to have all of my precision rifles to have similar reticles.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yeah, I can't justify dropping $1700 - $2000 on a scope. $800 - $1000, sure. I know in the past I've asked Alan about those clearance optics and he has always told me they discontinued them and changed the reticle for a reason. So I would agree with you, getting the current design is probably better.

I don't know what route I go. Much to think about.

I’m still trying to figure out what direction to take. Both of my .308s are 16 inch barreled and I’d love to go up to 18 or 20 on one. The Sierra 3 optic is really a decent optic but I’m thinking that I’d rather step back from the blue tooth ballistic reticle and learn the basics. The computer generated hold over now feels like a crutch that will get in the way of learning the basics if I use it.

The BDX works just fine as a standard optic but I’d rather have exposed turrets. I have a Bushnell AR optic that’s set up nicely but have never really adjusted the turrets once it was zeroed. It’s a 1-4x, so it’s not really handy for reaching out too far.

I was all set the other night to move the Sierra over to the bolt action and install an Eotech on the 716 when I remembered that the Sierra has a 30mm tube and the Ruger has 1” proprietary rings. I don’t want to drop money for new rings just to test something out.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have three 6-24 PSTs and an HST so I guess we are on the same page. Lol

All were Alan refurbs. They are hard to beat at that price point.
    My two Athlon scopes are MIL based and the Trijicon is MOA. I think it would make sense to have them all be MIL.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did have some room open up in the gun budget last night. I had been bidding on a custom shop Sig P229C that I was convinced that I had over bid on and found this morning that I was outbid. It’s a nice gun but I’m not chasing it above $1100. That money would put a much better optic on one of the rifles.

One option that I’m thinking about is adding an optic mount for my K31. That could be a fun combination given the quality of the base rifle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Admittedly I am not up to speed on shooting at distance past say 400 as it is not readily available to us. Just making the little steel at P's place dance at 400 makes me smile.
    MOA POI POA......I know "What" they mean but not so much how to apply these terms to actually going for the gold.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I’m still trying to figure out what direction to take. Both of my .308s are 16 inch barreled and I’d love to go up to 18 or 20 on one. The Sierra 3 optic is really a decent optic but I’m thinking that I’d rather step back from the blue tooth ballistic reticle and learn the basics. The computer generated hold over now feels like a crutch that will get in the way of learning the basics if I use it.

The BDX works just fine as a standard optic but I’d rather have exposed turrets. I have a Bushnell AR optic that’s set up nicely but have never really adjusted the turrets once it was zeroed. It’s a 1-4x, so it’s not really handy for reaching out too far.

I was all set the other night to move the Sierra over to the bolt action and install an Eotech on the 716 when I remembered that the Sierra has a 30mm tube and the Ruger has 1” proprietary rings. I don’t want to drop money for new rings just to test something out.
    My two Athlon scopes are MIL based and the Trijicon is MOA. I think it would make sense to have them all be MIL.

Strelok Pro, my friends.

Does all the math for you. Doesn't pull the trigger but eliminates computation errors.

IMHO, precision shooting is about eliminating variables. StrelokPro minimizes one.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Admittedly I am not up to speed on shooting at distance past say 400 as it is not readily available to us. Just making the little steel at P's place dance at 400 makes me smile.
    MOA POI POA......I know "What" they mean but not so much how to apply these terms to actually going for the gold.

I live ten minutes from a 1000 yard range, 20 minutes from a 900 yard range and 35 minutes from a 700 yards but I still never go so no one should really listen to me.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I did have some room open up in the gun budget last night. I had been bidding on a custom shop Sig P229C that I was convinced that I had over bid on and found this morning that I was outbid. It’s a nice gun but I’m not chasing it above $1100. That money would put a much better optic on one of the rifles.

One option that I’m thinking about is adding an optic mount for my K31. That could be a fun combination given the quality of the base rifle.

OK...now that would be cool!!!!!

I've been thinking about a barrel burner precision gun. Maybe a 6mm creedmoor or 6 mm arc?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Strelok Pro, my friends.

Does all the math for you. Doesn't pull the trigger but eliminates computation errors.

IMHO, precision shooting is about eliminating variables. StrelokPro minimizes one.
    How'd that work out for you at patience's place last time.....I seem to remember it being off quite a bit. :stickpoke:

In all seriousness, when I get to that point, I will use something like that to get me a starting point and fine tune with my setup, just like my new instructor Ryan C tells me to.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...The Sierra 3 optic is really a decent optic but I’m thinking that I’d rather step back from the blue tooth ballistic reticle and learn the basics. The computer generated hold over now feels like a crutch that will get in the way of learning the basics if I use it...
    I wouldn't be concerned about the blue tooth setup or another ballistic app helping me learn.

When I started NRL22, I used FPS from my setup shot over a chrono to plug into a ballistic calculator and made a cheat sheet to take to the range. This turned out to be fairly accurate and greatly accelerated my learning curve. I quickly memorized my hold over/under and shot the matches knowing the data for all the ranges and 10 yards difference past 60 yards with a SV .22LR make a large difference on a 2" target.

Without an app (or doing the math) you will have to log a lot of shooting time to learn the same info.

One key is stick with one combination of firearm and ammo and you take out lots of variables.

That's why I order mine before taking the time to post. :)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    How'd that work out for you at patience's place last time.....I seem to remember it being off quite a bit. :stickpoke:

In all seriousness, when I get to that point, I will use something like that to get me a starting point and fine tune with my setup, just like my new instructor Ryan C tells me to.
    User error. When we switched to the right ammo it was three clicks off. Eliminating Variables.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom