• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Sup guys, haven't posted here in a while, been busy with stuff.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with the CZ-82?

I was thinking about purchasing one. I was originally looking at a Bersa Thunder but the CZ is cheaper and the 9X18 Makarov round is readily available, goes for about 9.00 for a box of 50. I don't even know the price of .380 ACP since I haven't seen any in stock, ever.

But yea it looks nice, small, and you can't go wrong with the CZ brand. Any thoughts on this and the Makarov round?

Thanks!

Cz 82 image by double_ation on Photobucket

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Opened a can of worms with me! :D

The CZ82 is a WONDERFUL gun, despite folks crapping on it for being "too big" for it's caliber. Outside of that:
    -All forged steel, will outlast you and your family
    -easy to clean and VERY accurate fixed polygonal barrel
    -interchanges all parts with the CZ83 (.380) to the point where a simple barrel swap using a Makarov barrel press will change you to .380.
    -insanely accurate for a milsurp, great trigger.
    -sights from the CZ75 (night or target) fit the dovetails on the CZ82
    -I have yet to see one NOT feed hollowpoints, unlike *some* Makarovs and PA63s
    -13 rounds of Russian FURY! compared to the 7-8 of many .380 guns (and without the cost and parts availability issues of a Mauser HSC, which is a higher capacity gun)

All in all, a darn good carry gun in my eyes and worthy of attention by prospective CCW buyers.

9mm mak is a great cartridge, for the aforementioned reasons of availability (right now, if an importation ban passes again, this can be an issue, unless you find the CZ83 barrel :D ) and cost. 9mm Mak has been gelatin tested too by this outfit:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/var9x18mm.html
    I have sandbarreled Silver Bear HP and they do expand (and well!) through denim and west sand (while not super scientific, it poses a clogging hazard unrealistic in real life IMHO). 9mm Mak traditionally has a bit more oomph than .380 and the reloading market is beginning to catch up with it (reasonably enough, TONS of 9mm Mak pistols out there right now).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What DH said!!

I've not ever shot one personally...

But I READ a lot of message boards and I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing said about the CZ-82.

Yes, sometimes the finish on the surplus pistols is a little rough...but who cares. Even when new they aren't going to win a beauty contest.

Also I've heard that the double-action trigger isn't the greatest; but you can definitely do worse. The SA trigger, though, is supposed to be quite nice.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The double action isn't too bad, compared to alot of the milsurps. The P64 is the symbol of BAD DA trigger. The DA on the PA63 is still worse than the CZ and the PA's is manageable.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    My brother in law has one. It is 100% reliable and way more accurate than you need for a self defense handgun. Very shootable and points naturally.

I am a big fan of CZ. Whether it is their surplus stuff or brand new, you always seem to get a gun that's several notches better than the price you're paying.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one and love it! :rockwoot: Fantastic pistol, not a failure to anything yet. (~450 rnds) I have detail stripped it to the bare frame and it is very well made internally. It gets knocks for the weight, but the controlability is well worth it. After the detail cleaning my DA and SA trigger pulls are very nice and smooth.

Ammo is pretty cheap and available, steel case stuff is fun to blast with.
    Reloading is easy too especially if you have a case trimmer. 9x19 brass will work when trimmed and carefully belled out with the expander die. 9Mak brass is also readily available as well as fairly cheap bullets.

I say dont wait and pick one up. If I had the extra coin I would get 1-2 more!:ingo:

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I love mine. For what I paid for it I have no regrets. We parkerized one a few weeks back. Talk about cool. Came out a medium Grey.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Just bought my wife one :D giving it to her for Christmas/Birthday 25th and 28th. gun is CHEAP!!! and ammo is CHEAP!!!!

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have been looking for a replacement for my 380 because of the ammo problem. Never thought of this opinion. Checked the CZ web-site and couldn't find the CZ-82. Does anybody have a link?
    I had been looking at the Taurus 709, but I would feel better with the CZ quality.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    You can find the CZ82 at places like AIM Surplus, J&G Sales, etc... Mostly online as ALOT of local sources seemed to dry up!

Uralguy: A parked CZ82!? This thread is worthless without pics! :D

Also, for inexspensive night sights, this site occasionally has night sights removed from SP01s (when he builds a custom race gun), usually for around 60 bucks for a set, essentially new sights (he is out now, but check in every so often):
    CZ Custom Shop

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    DH, thanks for the info. I checked those two sites and the ones they listed looked very worn, but at that price you could have them refinished. So, I take it that model has been discontinued?

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the ones you find will have some wear, they were issued to Czech military and police. CZ still makes it new as the CZ83 in .380.
    Don't let appearances of the surplus guns fool you, these are built like tanks. Parts are interchangeable with CZ83 except for the barrel. Mags are a little pricey but also very well made.

CZ-82 Disassembly and Assembly

This goes thru disassembly and reassembly step by step. It was actually very easy, as most parts/pins are retained by the part/pin that comes out before it. I had mine apart, cleaned and reassembled in an evening.:yesway:

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Here is a pic of the one we Parkerized.

iptvn7.jpg

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I have both an 82 and an 83 (380ACP). They are both great guns. Yes, they are heavy but they are both all steel so no surprise there. The 9x18 is a great round and as you said you can find it almost anywhere and for cheap. They are both high-quality, as expected from CZ.

The 82 is Curio and Relic eligible if you are a 03 FFL holder.

Here are a few places that carry them for comparison of prices:

AIMSurplus
    Classic Arms Inc.
    J&G Sales

You can usually find them on the forums and at shows.

You won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    You guys have me really wanting one of these things now. If only the Feds would hurry up with my C+R! I think they would make great stocking stuffers...

Top Bottom