• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenniskid004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Hello all.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience carrying while cycling. I often cycle-commute to work via the Monon (I know that it's illegal to carry on the Monon because it's a city park but when it comes down to it, I refuse to get the **** kicked out of me as part of a gang initiation just because I didn't want to break an ordinance) and I've heard a lot of stories about people getting hurt by gang-members.

I want some sort of holster system that is concealed, but also accessible so I'm able to defend myself if I ever need to. Also, cycling, I sweat and I want something that will protect the gun from moisture.

Thanks for any advice.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Also since then I've switched to carrying in the back pocket of my cycling shirt, since I never stick a water bottle back there anyway

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Have you tried a pocket holster in your jersey pocket?

I have thought about carrying while riding, but for other reasons. Living the boonies I tend to run across unleashed dogs frequently. Most are not an issue, but there is one that has taken me down while going 20 mph. The owner has been warned at 3-4 times by me and other riders.

freehuman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It is not illegal to carry on the Monon since July 2012.

I OC, CC IWB or in pannier a xdm 40 compact on it all the time. Sometimes I avoid the Monon and just ride the roads instead. At night by myself, I feel safer on the road than I do on the Monon.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is not illegal to carry on the Monon.

Depending on what you wear, I run on it and carry a mouse gun in a SmartCarry holster and wear it on the strong side. You can OC and carry a S&W 44 Magnum if you want.

tenniskid004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Thank you all for your posts. Glad to know that it is no longer illegal.

@aaron580 - I'm carrying a sig p938

Also, I've thought about putting it in the back pocket of my cycling jersey but it gets sweaty. I'm guessing that it would, in the long run, damage the holster/gun

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I carry in a fanny pack on the bike. The bicycle is one place a fanny pack doesn't scream "gun" or "goofy."

Whatever you do, I am particularly against off-body carry. If something should happen that you get separated from your bike, you could be a long way away from a gun you need.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have been using the 5.11 holster shirt while jogging and cycling ever since I posted this review, below, and it works well for me. I actually now own two of these shirts, I like them so well.

Product Review: 5.11 Holster Shirt

For moisture, I'd just plan on cleaning the gun regularly. It will get sweaty while in use, no way around that with this holster.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Check out Survival Sheath Systems. I have 10,000 plus miles of cycling using mine and it is the best set up I have found. I use their chest holster in a butt down configuration for my revolver. I carry open during the warmer months and have no condensation issues like I had with belly bands and shoulder holsters. I do keep it under my jacket during this colder weather because the compression of my jackets lets the cold through. I have also experimented with mounting a holster to the stem with the pistol hanging under the bars which worked well, but the downside was if you were knocked off the bike you would be seperated from your pistol.

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I wear an all fabric/elastic bellyband that has a shoulder strap to hold it in place. I have a friend of mine that designed it and his sister made them. Its a really nice setup and to access it I just unzip my jersey about 1/4 of the way down and draw. No need to reach around behind me or get off my bike. I could easily draw at 20+ mph while pedaling if need be.

I carry an XD.40SC in mine and it is very secure. I put about 2,800 miles on my road bike last year (2012) and carried over half of those. I put about 1,500 miles on my mountain bike last year too but I crash too much and too hard on it to carry! I tend to ride really hard and if you don't crash you aren't riding hard enough. :)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wear an all fabric/elastic bellyband that has a shoulder strap to hold it in place. I have a friend of mine that designed it and his sister made them. Its a really nice setup and to access it I just unzip my jersey about 1/4 of the way down and draw. No need to reach around behind me or get off my bike. I could easily draw at 20+ mph while pedaling if need be.

I carry an XD.40SC in mine and it is very secure. I put about 2,800 miles on my road bike last year (2012) and carried over half of those. I put about 1,500 miles on my mountain bike last year too but I crash too much and too hard on it to carry! I tend to ride really hard and if you don't crash you aren't riding hard enough. :)

Sounds like a business opportunity. Got a picture?

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    2013-01-21_08-37-20_971.jpg

2013-01-21_08-40-07_867.jpg

Sorry for the very poor quality pictures, I just snapped them with my cell phone but you can get the idea. In the front the band is elastic and velcros so you can adjust how tight it is. The shoulder strap is also velcro where it attaches in the front so you can adjust the height of the band. On my setup my gun is under my left arm for cross draw and there are 2 slots under my right arm for extra mags. I don't carry extra mags when I ride, just the gun. The gun in the picture is m XD.40SC just to give you an idea of the size. The top picture is taken in a mirror so it shows things backwards from what they really are, it appears that the gun is under my right arm but in reality it is not. The shoulder strap is over my left shoulder and gun is under my left arm.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I carry in a fanny pack on the bike. The bicycle is one place a fanny pack doesn't scream "gun" or "goofy."

Whatever you do, I am particularly against off-body carry. If something should happen that you get separated from your bike, you could be a long way away from a gun you need.

I hate the look of fanny packs, but I've been thinking about getting one with the built-in holster, for when i am bicycling, hiking, walking, walking dogs, etc. The NRA store has one, and I've seen others as well. I've tried lots of things, but just can't get comfortable...seems something is always rubbing, poking, printing too much, unstable, etc!

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I use a bulldog belly band while mountain biking but had to add some Velcro to keep the gun secure. 25 bucks with the extra Velcro and its actually very comfy.

Top Bottom