• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cactus Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Huntington
    Here is the response I got back from CVS, About the Anti-gun article on there web site

Dear Mr. Cactus Jack:

Thank you for your email in regard to an article on gun safety that was posted to our website www.cvs.com <http://www.cvs.com/>. The article was included on our website as one of hundreds of articles that are intended to help our customers learn more about managing their health and making decisions to improve their health. The content was based upon the advice given on the subject by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Upon review of the article, however, we recognize that this informational article could be interpreted as a position statement of the company about guns and related issues, which it is not. We have removed the article from the website.

We appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention.

Sincerely,

Tammy
    CVS/pharmacy
    Customer Relations

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That wasn't a win. That was a backpedal followed by passing the buck. You'll notice they still called it an "informational article" and claiming it was misinterpreted as a "company position", whereupon they simply blamed the AAP. Oh, excuse me, they didn't blame them, they just said it came from them. I would have been more impressed if they'd said "upon further review, we agree that the article is full of unsubstantiated or discredited statistics and have removed it so as not to mislead our customers. Furthermore, since it has undermined the credibility of the AAP, we're undertaking a review of all the other articles from them that we posted to see if those are full of lies as well."

Reps for getting it removed, but I'm not convinced that it's not "company position".

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Spot on, Scutter. At least they are aware and have gotten enough negative mail to remove it, but passing the buck is still passing the buck.
    +1 repped for follow through

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agreed as well. Reps to Cactus Jack for pushing this and getting it removed, because it's not his fault that they are spineless. Further review of their site lists 28 such "informational articles" in the "Consultation Corner" that include a mention of the word "guns". Some are on the topics of workplace violence, suicide, and "depression and violence in teens", so I'm sure there are some other anti- comments to address.

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Only one article, the one on "Playful parenting" has even a slightly positive tone (and that, just barely, and only if you're really looking for it) There is a mention in the one on "Adolecent Development" which reads:
    "Adolescents who are allowed to use or have access to firearms need to learn proper use, safety, and legal issues associated with guns."

All the others, with the exception of those that only use the word "guns" in the context of "bring out the big guns" in addressing issues of complexion or how to soothe a crying baby, or a mention of tattooing guns, are negative. They also mostly seem to mention them kind of like people talk about ice cream and cake, peaches and cream, salt and pepper; they say either "guns and hearing loss" or "guns and violence". Big surprise. Among those was a listing of the editorial board, one member of which is:
    Stephen Levine, Research/Associate Editor
    Levine has 10 years' experience in research and investigative reporting. He is a former staff reporter for the Center for Investigative Reporting, an independent news agency based in San Francisco that works with CBS's "60 Minutes," "Frontline," and other outlets. In addition, he served as an associate producer on the Emmy-award-winning Frontline documentary "Hot Guns: Crime, Cheap Guns, and Public Neglect" and as research editor on several other PBS documentaries.
    Levine has a strong background in print reporting and teaching as well. ... Levine earned a B.A. in sociology from the University of California at Berkeley.

In fairness, CVS did not write or commission these articles, but they did request them for use on their site. I think it might be beneficial to find some recognized authority who could write for them an article on "Kids and Guns" to replace the one they removed, touching on points such as the fact that kids who get guns from their parents by and large don't misuse them, those who get them elsewhere do.

Just my :twocents:

Blessings,
    B

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    That wasn't a win. That was a backpedal followed by passing the buck. You'll notice they still called it an "informational article" and claiming it was misinterpreted as a "company position", whereupon they simply blamed the AAP. Oh, excuse me, they didn't blame them, they just said it came from them. I would have been more impressed if they'd said "upon further review, we agree that the article is full of unsubstantiated or discredited statistics and have removed it so as not to mislead our customers. Furthermore, since it has undermined the credibility of the AAP, we're undertaking a review of all the other articles from them that we posted to see if those are full of lies as well."

Reps for getting it removed, but I'm not convinced that it's not "company position".

Yea same as the Mayor I got that exact same letter, another form letter.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Top Bottom