Cutting down a shotgun barrel...........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Might be easier to just purchase one of desired length...

Seems easy to just cut one off, but getting it done "right" is usually an issue...

Of course, a new bbl for an 870 will be ~$100

-J-

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I did one a few years ago before I knew any better. Was an old used H&R Topper, actually use a pipe cutter, took FOREVER, but it was square. Cleaned up the sharp edges and deburred, reblued, got a brass bead to install but never got around to it...
    Didn't look too bad, but it wasn't a real serious project...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I did one a few years ago before I knew any better. Was an old used H&R Topper, actually use a pipe cutter, took FOREVER, but it was square. Cleaned up the sharp edges and deburred, reblued, got a brass bead to install but never got around to it...
    Didn't look too bad, but it wasn't a real serious project...

Yep, been there, done that, cut the stock down too.

Ruined a perfectly good shotgun. Now it's not even a good boat anchor. It doesn't do any good to try to tell people though. They'll still do it.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I would like to have this done to my Saiga 12.
    Would that mess with the chrome lined barrel at all, chipping and what have ya?
    Do they have to take the barrel off?

Its currently sitting at 24" I would like to take it down 5 or so inches.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    I also performed this years ago ( before I knew better and had funds) Used a vise and hack saw took my time. This was on an old single shot H&R chopped the stock also ended up with a 20 inch barrel and a pistol grip. No choke of course. finally sold it ( also years ago)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ach! I saw a nice Spanish SxS from the early 1900's (if I remember correctly) that had been cut down. It was done really well, but it completely removed any collector value. Dang it was purdy.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i have a new haven 20 i'd had for years. killed many deer with it and finally retired it to the home protection division. i cut it down quite a bit...............ummmmm............ it turned out pretty good although i took my time. debured and blued the end up. never any problems and it really shoots great. i think its my dads favorite gun. it will ruin the gun for any purpose other than using for a house shooter but its great fun. if you have an old beater you'd like to play with i'd encourage you to try it. i have no regrets. just don't saw the stock off.

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I came up with this idea lastnight . It would be souly a corner gun something to stop the intruders. The reason I choose to cut it down is because I really dont use shotguns and if I decided to hunt tree rats I have a double barrel I would rather take than a semi auto shotgun. For the ones that did make the cut what was it that you regretted about it ?

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    I bought a good used 26" barrel off Ebay back in the good old days for my 20ga BPS. $35 shipped. Took a piece of duct tape and wrapped it so that the edge of the tape was right at 18.5". Hacksawed off the excess and used a simple Craftsman benchtop belt/disc sander to square the cut end. A little Oxphoblue and it almost looks like it came from the factory that way. Makes a great little "house gun."

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I came up with this idea lastnight . It would be souly a corner gun something to stop the intruders. The reason I choose to cut it down is because I really dont use shotguns and if I decided to hunt tree rats I have a double barrel I would rather take than a semi auto shotgun. For the ones that did make the cut what was it that you regretted about it ?

It was a good gun before. You could hit what you wanted to shoot at with any amo that fit in it. It was probably worth about $100 back then.

After, it was worth maybe $25. You'd be doing good to hit a car door 20 yards away, if you weren't wearing gloves it would bloody your fingers with about anything more powerful than light trap loads. It was a useless toy for a dumb kid who thought it looked cool in the movies.

Cost me $100 to learn that, and some skin, and I've never been able to save a single person a dime for the telling of it. So far any one who was of a mind to do it, was also the type of a mind who had to learn it on their own dime.

Not to worry, there will be a lot more and lot bigger, dumber, more expensive mistake opportunities to come along. If you learn something important from this one, it will be money well spent.

Last edited:

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It was a good gun before. You could hit what you wanted to shoot at with any amo that fit in it. I was probably worth about $100 back then.

After it was worth maybe $25, you'd be doing good to hit a car door 20 yards away, if you weren't wearing gloves it would bloody your fingers with about anything more powerful than light trap loads. It was a useless toy for a dumb kid who thought it looked cool in the movies.

Cost me $100 to learn that, and some skin, and I've never been able to save a single person a dime for the telling of it. So far any one who was of a mind to do it, was also the type of a mind who had to learn it on their own dime.

Not to worry, there will be a lot more and lot bigger, dumber, more expensive mistake opportunities to come along. If you learn something important from this one, it will be money well spent.

I take it you made the leap and wished you kept your feet on solid ground. I understand what your saying and I also see that alot of folks are not really feeling my decision to alter my barrel but its really no different than buying a 18.5" barrell it will still end up 18.5" long. Thats all it will be used for , home protection nothing else.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I take it you made the leap and wished you kept your feet on solid ground. I understand what your saying and I also see that alot of folks are not really feeling my decision to alter my barrel but its really no different than buying a 18.5" barrell it will still end up 18.5" long. Thats all it will be used for , home protection nothing else.

Now let me ask you a question. If you've already made up your mind, you already know it's the smart move to make and any one opposed either doesn't really understand your situation or the gun, then why are you here asking the question?

Just do it and then come back and let us know how great it is?:rockwoot:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Except if you buy an 18.5" barrel you would still be able to put a choke on it. And that's what makes a shotgun pattern the way you want it to.

And buying a barrel will retain any value the shotgun has. Try to sell or trade the shotgun after you've butchered it, and you'll get far less out of it.

So, yes, buying a barrel is completely different then butchering one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Had an old 12 GA pump that I cut like others mentioned using a tube cutter and taking my time to keep it square. Deburred and reblued the end and drilled and tapped for a new bead. Added a stock with a pistol grip...it's made for a great house gun (still had an old five-shot tube mag). I never intended to sell it or anything...hence the reason for doing it, just to try it out myself.

Would I do it to one of my other shotguns? No, I would just go buy a shorter barrel.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Had an old 12 GA pump that I cut like others mentioned using a tube cutter and taking my time to keep it square. Deburred and reblued the end and drilled and tapped for a new bead. Added a stock with a pistol grip...it's made for a great house gun (still had an old five-shot tube mag). I never intended to sell it or anything...hence the reason for doing it, just to try it out myself.

Would I do it to one of my other shotguns? No, I would just go buy a shorter barrel.

Hopefully you kept the OAL at 26.0" or greater...

Top Bottom