• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    For what it's worth and for all the good it will do, I sent this letter to the ISP this morning. Waiting for a response. Something tells me that my application may fall behind a desk and not be found for quite some time. :)

I applied for a personal protection License To Carry a Handgun on 04/13/2010 through the offices of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Dept. Your office cashed my money order in the amount of $75.00 on 05/04/2010. What possible explanation is there for the excessive amount of time that it is taking to perform a simple background check and issue the license? I am a U.S.Army veteran and former commissioned officer, so I know my history and that numerous background checks have been done previously. This delay is very detrimental to the credibility of your office and speaks volumes to the lack of efficiency existing within the Indiana State Police organization. I have made several telephone calls to the firearms section and have not received any useful or credible information as to the reason for the delay.My application number is:0129172291 Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Vincent J Helmer Jr.

Letter to ISP sent 05/29/2010. Maybe my application has fallen behind a desk! :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was actually going over my paperwork and the L1 stuff is talked about fairly clearly in the first paragraph of the sheet where it tells you what to do. It does not say how much quicker it would be, but it does say it will be faster.

This is what it says:

Your application has been submitted for approval:

You have the option to expedite the handling of your application by scheduling an appointment with the L-1 Identity Solutions to submit your fingerprints electronically to the ISP. L-1 will also collect your state application fee. This is voluntary and there is an additional charge of $10.95.

1. Follow the link on the page to the L-1 Scheduling. LINK
    2. Register and make payment electronically.
    3. Go to your local law enforcement agency.

You will benefit by receiving your permit more quickly once your application is transmitted by your local police agency. Be sure to bring your application number shown below to the scheduled appointment. In addition to this appointment, you must visit your local PD to complete the application.

I guess I just wasn't paying attention plus it should give an indication of how much time you actually do save. If it would have said 12 weeks for standard filing and 1 week for L-1 I would have certainly went that route but I really didn't know what it was. Oh well, only have to do it once in my life so I guess I can wait 3 months for a permit that lasts the last 50 years of my life or so.

Roadmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hello, I am a new member, but somewhat long time reader of the forum.

I wanted to say that I applied for my Lifetime LTCH on April 14th. I applied online, but was finger printed and paid downtown.

My permit arrived in the mail Saturday July 24th.

So roughly 15 weeks from file to receiving the paper in the mail.

Best,

Dustin

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Hand delivered my application to ISP at the Indiana Government Center North on 4/30/2010. MO was cashed on 5/10/2010 and I recieved my lifetime permit today 7/26/2010. Now I will actualy be able to shoot my Glock........umm..Legally.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Printed and applied at the same City County Building at the IMPD room 100 on April 13th! MO cashed on May 4th. Called ISP firearms section this morning and spoke with Sgt. Michaels. He stated that my application is there, but that I am not in the system yet and that it would probably be at least another two weeks! How in the world is it that some applications seem to leap over others rather than first come first served?? I have been on this thread for four months now and have seen this happen repeatedly and have never heard a valid explanation. If any body out there (like maybe someone with the firearms section) has an explanation I would be more than happy to hear it. :rolleyes:

BTW, Congratulations and enjoy in good health!! :rockwoot: :D
    Sorry about your wait, but I hope it comes soon. Be safe!

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Nice first post...you know you don't have to have the permit to be a contributing member of the site. :D Just kidding, congrats, and welcome. We got our LTCH's one day apart.

Thanks Doc - glad to hear you got yours...been reading on here for awhile and getting involved is WAY overdue! Looking forward to it :ingo:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lost My Change of Address 7.27.10

I called ISP at 8:05 am (317-233-5054) to ask about the status of my address notification. I got a live person almost immediately. The notable items from my response were:

1) They had LOST MY ADDRESS NOTIFICATION despite the fact that I had the confirmation from the US Postal Service that it was delivered (USE CERTIFIED MAIL!).

2) They woman I talked to told me (not sure if this is accurate, but it is what I was told) that you are required to notify them that you moved in writing, but that they don't give you an updated copy with your new address on it.

3) Finally, the woman gave me her email address (dself@isp.in.gov) and let me know that it would be ok to email her my updated address so that she could update it in the computer.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I called ISP at 8:05 am (317-233-5054) to ask about the status of my address notification. I got a live person almost immediately. The notable items from my response were:

1) They had LOST MY ADDRESS NOTIFICATION despite the fact that I had the confirmation from the US Postal Service that it was delivered (USE CERTIFIED MAIL!).

2) They woman I talked to told me (not sure if this is accurate, but it is what I was told) that you are required to notify them that you moved in writing, but that they don't give you an updated copy with your new address on it.

3) Finally, the woman gave me her email address (dself@isp.in.gov) and let me know that it would be ok to email her my updated address so that she could update it in the computer.

Now that is BS!

Anyways, my daily update. I called today to make sure there were no issues with my L1 conversion (since I didnt mail in a second set of local). The guy that answered sounded like the supervisor I spoke to last week. He was EXTREMELY rude. The conversation went something like this:

*That annoying voice telling you to wait 12 weeks after your MO is cashed before bugging them*
    "Indiana Firearms licensing"
    "Yeah, Im calling to check on the status of my application I used the ..."
    "Sir, did you not listen to the intro? You MUST wait 12 weeks after your money order is cashed. You do not need to call us and confirm, just assume if your money order has been cashed, we got it! You are just slowing us down more by calling and bothering us for no reason"
    (He was continuing on, very frustrated sounding, like a rant. I cut him off)
    "I used the L1 option, I just wanted to make sure you got my local paperwork"
    "You didnt say anything about L1"
    "You didnt give me a chance"
    "No sir, you should have informed me when I answered"
    "Can you just check on my application for me?"
    "No, I cant. Kim can though. She isnt at her desk right now, call her later"
    "Fine. Thank you for your time"

The number he gave me was (317) 233-8758. I called it about 20 minutes later, got the intro, then he answered, so I just hung up.

By my calculations, I should get it tomorrow-ish. Im just going to wait and see if I get it tomorrow, if not, I will call again to double check. I dont really want to deal with them if I dont have to.

**Edit**
    I gave it one more call, got through to Kim. She said they received everything properly, and will "get everything all set for me". Im just relieved that there is no screwy confusion with the refile. Soon, hopefully.

Last edited:

kawzx7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Now that is BS!

Anyways, my daily update. I called today to make sure there were no issues with my L1 conversion (since I didnt mail in a second set of local). The guy that answered sounded like the supervisor I spoke to last week. He was EXTREMELY rude. The conversation went something like this:

*That annoying voice telling you to wait 12 weeks after your MO is cashed before bugging them*
    "Indiana Firearms licensing"
    "Yeah, Im calling to check on the status of my application I used the ..."
    "Sir, did you not listen to the intro? You MUST wait 12 weeks after your money order is cashed. You do not need to call us and confirm, just assume if your money order has been cashed, we got it! You are just slowing us down more by calling and bothering us for no reason"
    (He was continuing on, very frustrated sounding, like a rant. I cut him off)
    "I used the L1 option, I just wanted to make sure you got my local paperwork"
    "You didnt say anything about L1"
    "You didnt give me a chance"
    "No sir, you should have informed me when I answered"
    "Can you just check on my application for me?"
    "No, I cant. Kim can though. She isnt at her desk right now, call her later"
    "Fine. Thank you for your time"

The number he gave me was (317) 233-8758. I called it about 20 minutes later, got the intro, then he answered, so I just hung up.

By my calculations, I should get it tomorrow-ish. Im just going to wait and see if I get it tomorrow, if not, I will call again to double check. I dont really want to deal with them if I dont have to.

**Edit**
    I gave it one more call, got through to Kim. She said they received everything properly, and will "get everything all set for me". Im just relieved that there is no screwy confusion with the refile. Soon, hopefully.

Got mine in two days before you, and still nothing here. If you gets yours before mine, I am gonna get worried. Getting sick of being an outlaw.

dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    vince i saw that you posted and thought...HE GOT IT!......but no. would think i'll be seeing mine in the next wk or two at most. if not i will know i've been VINCED :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom