• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Fnpfan and JoshuaW, thanks for the info on refiling. I am new around here and I wish I had found this site earlier. I did the LTCH form online but did not go the L-1 route either. My ink prints where sent to the ISP only 3 weeks ago ... so I think I am going to do the refile as well.

I got a couple of quick questions on how to do the refile at L-1 though.

When you go to L-1, do you give them the application number of your original LTCH application (the one that was sent in with the ink set of prints) or do you have to fill out a new online form and go through the local PD again? It seems to me from the previous posts that FnpFan, you did a new application but JoshuaW, you didn't ... so I am a bit confused.

If you are using the original application number then, after finishing at L-1, is there anything you have to do to link the digital prints to the original application (i.e. send anything to the ISP, tell the local PD, etc) or is that all done by L-1 online?

Again, thanks for all the info.

My understanding when I talked to the supervisor at ISP was that I should use my original app number when I refiled. He didnt say that specifically though. I didnt think to ask. I did go back to Elkhart PD and talk to the lady there. She had no clue. I asked about what she does when someone has done it with L1, and she said they do the exact same thing as they do if the person hasnt. They print them, fill out all the same paperwork, and it goes into the computer the exact same way. She said they dont even really care which way someone did it, its the citizens responsibility to make sure that $75 was in there. The ink prints would be in there regardless.

So, I simply used my original app number, did my L1 prints, and that was it. I got the email immediately that ISP received my prints, and all that jazz. I am planning on calling Monday to make sure there is no misunderstanding. I will be able to report back with more information then.

Demand accountability! Demand the broken system be fixed!

Oh, I am not letting up. I am of course going to remind everyone to do L1. I am of course going to let people know they can refile. I am also committed to making this process even easier. I am still contacting every relevant person I possibly can and telling them how far behind ISP is. Im going to do everything I can to keep advocating change. Amongst other things, I personally think they should force the use of L1. Raise the price of the license by $15, make sure all counties have an L1 station somewhere. Heck, dont raise the price, since letting L1 handle it would eliminate the need for a larger processing staff.

Amongst all of that, I am going to try to raise the issue of making it less complicated for those who have a background problem or previous mental health issue. I inquired about this some, since my girl also has some interest in getting her license. She had an event several years back that caused her to need some mental health help. This same event is why she has interest in getting a license. She is scared of the process and having to get to involved with all of this. So, I have a bit of an interest in hopefully getting this process smoothed (ISP basically wants a detailed written account of this time, and possibly a hearing/evaluation. Reliving is something that is just wrong for a victim to have to endure). This is all a topic for its own thread though, eventually.

In short, I am not done with this system. I really hope I can bring about some real results, especially with some help from this forum.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    What irks me the most is the fact that not only do I know that I can easily pass the background check through NICS (handgun is sitting next to me as I type) but an organization I'm a member of requires FBI background checks for it's adult members. I would not be a member today if I could not pass that. And yet it takes this long to even look at my application. I'm not worried at all about what will happen when they run me through.

I hope you succeed and get your daughter her license. Sounds like a hassle that's unnecessary.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    I got my LTCH yesterday in only 2 weeks. :rockwoot:

Timeline -
    Applied online for Hamilton county on July 9.
    L1 fingerprints July 13.
    Got a call from Noblesville PD that my permit was approved and I needed to bring in my fingerprint receipt and pay my local fee on July 16.
    Received LTCH on July 23.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    What irks me the most is the fact that not only do I know that I can easily pass the background check through NICS (handgun is sitting next to me as I type) but an organization I'm a member of requires FBI background checks for it's adult members. I would not be a member today if I could not pass that. And yet it takes this long to even look at my application. I'm not worried at all about what will happen when they run me through.

I hope you succeed and get your daughter her license. Sounds like a hassle that's unnecessary.

Girl as in girlfriend. If I have a daughter, I dont know about her, and she certainly wouldnt be old enough for LTCH! :D The challenge with her is convincing her to not be intimidated by the process. Its a lot to deal with, and Im not going to pressure her. If the process becomes easier, she will do it sooner. If not, it may take her quite sometime before she feels comfortable enough.

I hate how it takes so long for them to look at it as well. Its absurd. I dont care how much volume they are getting, its not enough for them to take so dang long. I mean, they have to take it out, grab your money order, log somewhere that you paid. How much longer does it really take to look at the rest of it?

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Girl as in girlfriend.

My apologies.

I hate how it takes so long for them to look at it as well. Its absurd. I dont care how much volume they are getting, its not enough for them to take so dang long. I mean, they have to take it out, grab your money order, log somewhere that you paid. How much longer does it really take to look at the rest of it?

Nail on the head, you hit it right there. That's the issue. Why can they not run the thing immediately when they open it, figure out if it's good, and when they get the word the money's good, print it and send it out. They just don't do it this way because they want to make sure your money's good first. And that to me is bass ackwards.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Nail on the head, you hit it right there. That's the issue. Why can they not run the thing immediately when they open it, figure out if it's good, and when they get the word the money's good, print it and send it out. They just don't do it this way because they want to make sure your money's good first. And that to me is bass ackwards.

Im not sure its even that. That was my first instinct to think, but its a money order (or certified check). Its already paid. There is no way for it to NOT be good. I mean, I suppose it could be a forgery, but if some idiot is dumb enough to send a forged money order to the state police, he isnt going to be to hard to find.

I mean, seriously. You dont provide them with enough information for them to be doing anything more than typing your name and address into the computer. You could pay an intern $8/hour to open the envelopes, snatch the money order, and type a name into a computer. I bet they could get 10 of them done an hour!

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    excuses wouldn't work for me if i broke the law therefore i don't care about theirs, it's their obligation to keep up with the work in front of them. from what i understand they haven't been within the 60 day limit since 2008 so its not like they haven't had PLENTY of time to adjust if they cared to

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Amen to that! They have had plenty of time to change up, and they certainly have enough money to. They are always doing crap at the local post! Like building a new freaking post! They completely remodeled the old one a few years ago!

Oldman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Bluffton, In
    Bypass the counties. ISP should send ALL applications to L-1 as soon as they are received at the state office. One person could do that. Then a couple more people to send out the pink licenses after L-1 does the security check...with over 300,000 licenses currently, the ISP can't possibly average more than 50 new ones per day with L-1 assuming a part of the burden. That would be 15,000 per year and I can't imagine that there would be more than that number.

OOPPSS...bad numbers. 77,000 apps in 2008 but I would bet there is enough help to handle that many if done as described above.

Last edited:

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I mean, I suppose it could be a forgery, but if some idiot is dumb enough to send a forged money order to the state police, he isnt going to be to hard to find.

A forged money order WITH your finger prints included.

You would be surprised at how stupid some people really are though.

I once had a woman ask me on a non-stop flight to Miami if people seated in first class would also arrive in Miami. And it was a serious question...

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    What I think they could easily do is make L-1 the option that everyone gets when they apply online. I know that the online application isn't available in all counties yet, which would still require the whole paper application process. But for those counties that have the option of online application, when people apply, put the L-1 option as the bigger choice on the screen. Companies do this all the time. Put the option that makes the most sense front and center with the most visible information, but then put the "Apply and be fingerprinted through your local PD" option underneath a little smaller. Put more info about the L-1 process on the next page and a "click here to start the L-1 process" button and a "if you don't want this option, click here to apply and be fingerprinted through your local PD" button.

Make the L-1 option more visible, clearly explained including a "this could speed up the process" message, and look like a smarter option, and people will use it. Keep it like it is now with no real clear explanation other than "this is an option, add $11 onto your $125 and get fingerprinted another way" and people will forgo using it unless they've gotten info about it elsewhere.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    i agree 100% when i filed the first time i seen the L1 option on the online app, but all it said was get printed electronicly $10.95 additional, it didnt say anything about taking a fraction of the time, i think most people would choose it if they made it more clear.:yesway:

kawzx7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Nice! I did mine today at 4pm. So I am hoping I will be carrying by the end of the week. Ordered a few holsters today to celebrate. (Falco, for anyone interested. Very high quality holsters, and most models fit like a glove for almost any firearm)

Ouch. Refile without your wife, then convince her that they must think she has background problems. I am such a horrible person.

Did my prints thursday for my refile. Let's see who wins the race! Bet they have batch processing anyway........ :)

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    its done by a huge database, i have been looking online about other services L1 identity solutions offers, it goes way more in depth than just finger printing. pretty cool stuff

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Well, fnpfan did his last Saturday if I remember, and received it Friday? He refiled completely, so he still had local stuff to send in. So, cut out two days for that. That puts me somewhere around Wednesday. That seems about right.

As for putting L1 front and center, YES! I saw that and was like "NO WAY I am handing over another $11 to drive over to Mishawaka to do my prints (which was dumb, I work down the road)". If it had said "L1 takes 10-14 days, you will do your prints at an independent L1 processing station, and will pay $10.95 for processing. This option is recommended, its much quicker." I would have been all over that. Heck, any normal person would be all over that.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, fnpfan did his last Saturday if I remember, and received it Friday? He refiled completely, so he still had local stuff to send in. So, cut out two days for that. That puts me somewhere around Wednesday. That seems about right.

As for putting L1 front and center, YES! I saw that and was like "NO WAY I am handing over another $11 to drive over to Mishawaka to do my prints (which was dumb, I work down the road)". If it had said "L1 takes 10-14 days, you will do your prints at an independent L1 processing station, and will pay $10.95 for processing. This option is recommended, its much quicker." I would have been all over that. Heck, any normal person would be all over that.

I know I would have been, plus it would be a win win for everyone because it would ease the burden on the actual workers who process non L1 applications and would more than likely drop the wait time of the standard process.

But at this point it will most likely be 3 weeks left anyway so I am not going to throw out the money again to save a week or two. Its certainly a shame I didnt find this place before I had applied.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I too wish I'd known about INGO and the L-1 option before I applied. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about INGO until the 1500 when I saw their booth and wondered what the deal was. By that time, it was already almost a month into the wait.

Oldman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Bluffton, In
    I too wish I'd known about INGO and the L-1 option before I applied. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about INGO until the 1500 when I saw their booth and wondered what the deal was. By that time, it was already almost a month into the wait.

My money order was cashed June 1..we will see if anyone in the office reads this forum...if they do, we will both wait a long time like Vince49 has. After reading another thread I am not going to the range until it is totally legal. Probably early September.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    filed for my license around 7 weeks ago..... still kicking myself for not using the l-1 option, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of my little pink sheet of paper

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    06/04/2010

I wonder how in his quest to,"streamline government", and,"privatize", so many aspects of government the Gov. missed this opportunity to turn the whole issuance of the LTCH over to L1 Security. All we would need by law would be a rubber stamp signature from the ISP Superintendent after L1 did the legwork. Win,win for all concerned! :dunno: :rolleyes:

Posted 06/04/2010

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom