• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    In Marion County use the L1 option for an additional. $10.95, and you'll get it in less than a week. My wife and I both did this. Definitely worth it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Finally, at long last... When I first made application, back in '06, I was told I could renew as soon as the Lifetime was available. I got it in and the next week, went to my sheriff's office only to find that what I was told was erroneous... though for a long time, I thought it was some 11th hour BS that the Dems added in. I found out this year that the reason for the 180 day restriction was that ISP requested it so they would not be even more backed up than they already were when the LLTCH became law. Fortunately, this is about to become 365 days as soon as HB 1068 becomes law and is effective. However... the purpose of this post is not a history lesson but current events:

On December 23, 2009, I went to the county sheriff's office to file my application for my LTCH. I had been there a month earlier on an unrelated matter and got fingerprinted at that time. I signed my LTCH application with the sheriff's clerk as a witness and turned it in, letting her know that my actual six-month date was the following day, Christmas Eve. As the office would not be open, she accepted my paperwork, letting me know she would probably wait to process it until the office opened again after the Christmas holiday. We discussed that even if she processed it immediately, the ISP would not receive it until after the statutory six-month requirement. On December 30, 2009, my daily mail included a letter from the sheriff's office which contained my copy of my Lifetime LTCH application and a note dated the previous day, December 29, from the Sheriff:

Dear Mr. ________,

I have approved and forwarded your application for a Firearms License to the Indiana State Police. Currently, forwarded licensesto the Indiana State Police may take four to six weeks to process. If your current hand gun license was not expired when the renewal application was made, you may carry the enclosed applicant copy with your license until your updated license arrives from the state. If you are a new applicant, or your current license had already expired when the renewal was made, you must wait until the new license arrives from the state.

I want to take this opportunity to point out to you the serious responsibility of carrying a handgun. The policy of the ___________ County Sheriff's Office issued to all officers states in part, that an officer may use deadly force only "when the suspect threatens the officer, or others with serious physical harm".

Our police officers undergo rigorous training and meticulous documentation of training to insure that they are fully trained in the use of firearms and deadly force.

Without the above training and guidelines, the use of deadly force carries a high probability of civil or criminal liability.

Your permit has been approved because you have a constitutional right to bear arms. Please use that right responsibly, keeping in mind the safety of the citizens of ___________ County.

Sincerely,
    (stamped signature with clerk's initials following)

I will be interested to see how long this actually takes. Considering that this summary has been typed to this point on Friday, 1 January 2010, I cannot call to confirm receipt of the application until Monday. I suppose, had I thought of it, I could have added delivery confirmation to my application envelope prior to turning it in for approval and mailing. Update will be forthcoming on this, the last application for LTCH I should ever have to file with the State of Indiana.

27 Jan: My money order was cashed on 5 Jan 2010. They are presently working on those that arrived in the beginning of December.

23 Feb: LLTCH arrives in mail! 49 days from check cashed.

And of course, the online application process was only very recently made available here.... AFTER my app was already almost done. Oh well. I have it now! :rockwoot:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Do they have a website to check the status of your app?

They have a website, but not for that. When I did my 4 year, I called and asked after some time and was told that putting your name in the system is the last step in the process.

If you can do the online app, it costs an extra 11 bucks for the electronic prints, but you get your LTCH in days as opposed to weeks.

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom