• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Driving on cupped (and noisy!) tires: Is it a safety issue or an annoyance?

Reason for asking is that my wife's car (2006 Altima 3.5 SE) has 80,500 miles with ~42k miles on some Bridgestone Potenza G-019 tires.

They're indeed cupped and indeed noisy.

Car-X wants to blame the suspension on the cupped tires.

A previous thread I started on this subject has lead me to believe that it's a tire issue.

So, can we eek out some more noisy miles on cupped tires, or should I be tire shopping post-haste?

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Noisy and annoying, but I don't believe it is a safety issue. Caused by worn suspension components, alignment issues, or poor maintenance, in my experience. My Jeep's tires were getting pretty bad when I finally replaced them. I don't think the PO ever rotated them.

I'd put the worst 2 on the back, since the front does triple duty (steer, brake, and drive) and wear them out. Maybe nail a few pot-holes, and see if [strike]the city [/strike]our tax money can buy you a new set?

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    The concern I would have with cupped tires is that they might not be making solid contact with the road surface. This is hazardous especially in rainy or wet/slick conditions. Cupping can be the result of under-inflation but can be caused by suspension components wearing out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Cupping is usually due to under inflation. Check the tire pressure. Make sure there aren't any chords showing anywhere.
    I believe cupped tread wear would be due to over-inflated. And under inflated tire will appear cupped to an extent, but if the tire has a cupped wear pattern its from over-inflation.

dsl-e31c.gif

That is assuming it isn't one of the other main causes of cupped wear (suspension problems or low quality tires).

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Struts and shocks can cause cupping, this type of cupping could be expected from a car with 80k on it. If the tires are not too bad, wait until pot hole season is over, and get a set of struts and some new tires for summer. Be sure to have tie rod ends checked too and get a 4wheel alignment.

ozzie9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Goshen
    tire cupping is USUALLY one or both of two things.The first is bad shocks or struts.the second is an out of ballance condition.Alignment has little to do with the problem

ozzie9

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    tire cupping is USUALLY one or both of two things.The first is bad shocks or struts.the second is an out of ballance condition.Alignment has little to do with the problem

ozzie9
    The point of the alignment is to prevent wear on new tires after the struts are replaced. Scuffing caused by poor alignment can also be mistaken for cupping.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Tires are well maintained... Regularly rotated.

Alignment is OK, too.

I was serious in my OP when I stated that it's most likely a crappy tire issue. Especially after my previous thread on here AND reading internet reviews of the tires.

The suspension isn't wearing out. It's not brand-new-tight, obviously, but the suspension isn't worn out. The car doesn't bounce or feel floaty over bumps / expansion joints / pot holes /etc. Nor does it feel at all wobbly / loose / uneven / wonky when on curvy roads at a decent clip.

If someone can tell me how to check the suspension, I'd appreciate it. (Other than the push down on each corner of the car, release, and watch for bounce).

I was wondering the same thing that kadetklapp alluded to, mainly surface contact being an issue in non-dry pavement conditions.

Just LOOKING at the tires, it's difficult to see the cupping, but the noise is awful!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If someone can tell me how to check the suspension, I'd appreciate it. (Other than the push down on each corner of the car, release, and watch for bounce).

The bounce will test shocks, but that's about it. Put it up in the air (lift or jackstands), get a bottle jack and maybe a pry bar, and check all of the bushings for wear and play. Move a tire or suspension component (a-arm, sway-bar, etc...) around and watch the attachment points. My wife's Saturn has ~70K miles on it. It FEELS tight when driving, but the rear control arm bushings have compressed enough over the years that the alignment bolts are at their limit. If we keep it, I'll have to start replacing parts to keep it within "spec".

I was wondering the same thing that kadetklapp alluded to, mainly surface contact being an issue in non-dry pavement conditions.
    I'm sure it is less than ideal. Unless she drives like a racer in wet weather, I doubt the difference is significant vs. old tires w/o the cupping.

BTW: when you say "cupping", which picture does it look like?
    tire_wear_pattern.jpg

(from: Auto Whirring Sound)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    eldirector: Thanks.

As far as what it looks like, I'm not sure. I've tried my best to see the uneven wear on the tires and I can't see it.

But since the folks at Car-X have told us thrice now that the tires are cupping...AND they've mentioned that they'd replace the suspension (ahem), I'll pick D, Alex.

I need to inspect them further to be sure.

And have another shop check the suspension, I guess.

$500 for tires I can swallow.

$1100 (probably...) for suspension AND $500 for tires... Eeek! I just put $500 into my 20 year old car today. *sigh*

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for bumping this back up, cosermann.

As I backed out of the garage this morning, I could see some of the cupping come to light, so to speak, as my headlights illuminated it.

I could only see it on the rear passenger side, but it's the inner shoulder of that tire that's cupped. Or at least cupped badly enough to notice it.

Guess that a non Car-X suspension inspection needs done for a 2nd opinion.

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom