• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    Need to get a new mower. Budget is $1500 or less. Three mowers I am considering are the Cub Cadet XT1, John Deere D105, or a Troy Built Broncho or XP Horse.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Troy Bilt and Cub are both owned by MTD. I think the cheaper Deeres are made by MTD.

That's not a bad thing, because the parts are all the same.

You could pick up a used ZTR for that prices also.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Troy Bilt and Cub are both owned by MTD. I think the cheaper Deeres are made by MTD.

That's not a bad thing, because the parts are all the same.

You could pick up a used ZTR for that prices also.

My google-fu indicates you are correct about Troy and Cub but not so much about the JD. I know when I was shopping for a mower years ago, I asked the JD dealer if their low-end riders were made by someone else and he said 'no', JD makes them. Now, that was 12 years ago so it's entirely possible things have changed since then, so...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had zero issues with my Troybilt. I used it to replace a Craftsman I ran for 14 years. My yard beats the crap out of mowers. Before the Craftsman we had a Honda. It was gutless and hard to find parts for.

stony

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsboro,IN
    I had a Craftsman rider and it was a hunk of crap, with that said I have a Craftsman push mower that is about 13 years old and it runs like a champ. Probably going to a toss up between them. The last riding mower I purchased was a Toro ztr and it has been fantastic!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All three have excellent reputations, but (at least it seems that way), the JD will tend to cost a bit more.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    We've had a CC LTX1045 (earlier version of the XT1) for about 6 or 7 years. Cuts real good and so far has been reliable. Our yard is not easy on mowers, lots of bumps, ruts, trees, large rocks etc. to go around and over, not to mention there are a few sections that are borderline unsafe steep. Other than the usual maintenance type stuff the only thing that has been replaced on it was the stater solenoid, and that was this year. My only complaint about it is that the engine is really noisey.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been absolutely thrilled with my Bad Boy ZTR mower! Mine is commercial grade and much more than what you are wanting, but they have residential models starting new for about double what you are wanting. You may be able to find a good used mower for your price range.

No matter what your lawn size if it needs a riding mower I would strongly recommend looking at a ZTR! The difference on the seven (7) acres I mow between a lawn tractor and a ZTR is astounding. I think you will find in the long run more time for fun and less for lawn work with a ZTR.

Regards,

Doug

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    To little info given but I think all the choices listed in the OP would be good.
    I'd stay away from Craftsman and I've had bad luck with the Husqavarnas.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Same advice. Have a 1500.00 John Deere and son has the same L120 OK mower. Most in price range are all about the same. What / how much you mow and how it's taken care of will be a big factor. Who doesn't want a big nice mower.. I would buy another some day. Good luck with your purchase.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    John Deere is fine, UNTIL YOU NEED PARTS! They are the biggest ripoff in the industry when it comes to parts. Many of their parts are made especially for them, and cannot be replaced with off the shelf parts. $600.00 foe a hydraulic cylinder for the loader for my John Deere 2210 tractor. It was cheaper for me to by off the shelf cylinders cylinders and customize them. Never another John Deere product for me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I wouldn't buy any of those. If $1500 is your budget I'd buy used and get something better and that was built to work and last.

Im using a 1968 Bolens tube frame. 12 hp, pto driven.
    I got the tractor, 38" deck, rototiller, snow blower, blade and the frame for a roller for about 1/3 of your buget.
    Shop around and find something used that was built to last, not these new stamped frame junk

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Beware of any of those brands that are sitting in a Lowes/Home Depot/etc. They are often manufactured under license and are not authentic. In the case of the "Deere" products, our local John Deere dealer will not even service the ones sold by Lowes.

Top Bottom