• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I've got about 20 acres I'm thinking about putting in CRP, what are peoples thoughts about the program. Right now the field is rotated corn, beans going for 50.00 an acre to the farmer. All I need is my taxes paid. Also I've (had done) done a 2 acre lake that is fed from run-off of the upper 20 acre field so the thought of no herbacides, pesticides, and fertilizer sounds real good...thats the story what are your thoughts?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Whats the area like around your field? If its just surrounded by other fields where wildlife wouldn't likely go to it anyways, I would leave it alone. If there's a woods nearby or a decent treeline on a property line or something that would encourage wildlife to go to your field, I say do it.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Get with your local Biologist and set it up in Warm Season Grasses. If you do your home work, the seed and planting with be of no cost to you. Work it through QU, DU, WTF, and others. Leave a spot, couple of acres for a wildlife food plot, and use it as a dove field. Lotsa fun in that.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I had always considered putting my ground into the program, but now fear putting my land into any additional government control. What if someone were to discover some snail darter or an Albanian Ditech Lizard or some other exotic previously unknown or endangered critter while the land was fallow. Would I ever get it back to use as I want?

(Recently, I had been getting $65/acre for rent on my ground. Now, I am getting double that. Let word spread that it might be available, and you might get more $$$$/acre. Word of mouth from the retiring farmer brought in the new bids for my acreage. I, too, only needed the taxes paid from the acreage, now I am getting twice the taxes for the whole place.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have had some suggest this program for my land. Not a chance in hell. They will dictate what you can and can't do with your land. Do these programs make your land open for public access? What happens if you ever want out of the program? Will they let you? Why would you want to give up your property rights to save a few bucks on taxes?

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I personally have no property, but my family has some in CRP. Some of the good points I can see from it, are the fact that the funds can help pay taxes on the property. The purity of the pond can also be a plus. Negatives include, the fact that the property can only be mowed to control noxious weeds, leaving open the possibility that in several years, it could be grown up enough with trees, ect, that it becomes ineligible for the program. If that ever becomes the case, then the cost of restoring the property to tillable, useable land is very expensive. I would guess that the long term plans for the land would weigh heavily on my decision.

BK Deer Hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Southeast Indiana
    I would advise you to put it in CRP. I had put 7 acres in 4 years ago and just put 15 acres in this last year. Haven't had any problems with the government telling me what to do. No one has even came out to check on what I have been doing. You don't have to let anyone hunt on it. Plus I'm making twice the money by putting it in CRP. But the most important thing is I see and hear Quail every morning when I go deer hunting,I see rabbit tracks in the snow and good bucks chasing does through it. On the downside the preditors are more abundant.coyotes,foxes,hawks and owls.

Top Bottom